Public Speaking

Deathsane

Dec 3, 2009
So I am doing a speech tommorow for english class and I am getting pretty nervous.

I was just wondering how you people feel about public speaking.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I love public speaking, never got me nervous actually.
My advice is - go first. That way you've got nobody to follow.

Free Thinker

Apr 23, 2010
Deathsane said:
So I am doing a speech tommorow for english class and I am getting pretty nervous.

I find it rather easy since I'm confident in my smooth, baritone/bass voice and my knowledge on whatever subject I'm speaking about.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
I'm not too bad when I do it, but just before I'm gonna go on my body starts to get really nervous even though my mind is totally calm. I might start shaking, sweating, or hyper ventilating. This also happens to me when I'm acting. I always just ignore it as best I can, since it's just my body getting nervous, and tell myself that once I get started, everything is gonna be fine.

Crow T. Robot

Aug 10, 2009
I had to take a public speaking class for general ed. credits this year. I can admit that through that class, my nerves are far as public speaking are weaker than before, but it still isn't something I enjoy. You'll get better the more you have to do it.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I hate giving presentations to large groups. I get all sweaty, and can't talk coherently. Sorry for not being able to give advice, I'm in the same boat as you.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
BlindMessiah94 said:
This is also sound advice when you share a bathroom with one or more people besides yourself, or if you go to a festival or something where they have port-a-potties.

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
I usually go first. Teachers are usually more lenient on you if you go first.

And remember, after you present...your done. Its over. Get up there, say your stuff, say it well and your done.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
I hate speaking infront of people. When im doing my oral presentations in german i always talk in a strange accent because I get nervous.

OT: I hate public speaking and avoid it at all costs.

Mucinex-D

Jan 19, 2010
Go first. That way anyone who laughs or interrupts you will get payback.

"And so to start my speech on ancient Egy-"

"RETARD AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

I swear he will be sweating the rest of his speech.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Deathsane said:

Nervewracking. It makes me queasy, my palms sweaty and my hands begin to shake. The moment I open my mouth in a lecture or in front of a class, fear sets in. I begin to think 'Am I doing this righ? Am I pacing this correctly? Is my subject even interesting to anyone else andohgodnowmyhandsareshaking and everyone can see that!'

But you know, I no longer allow that to control me or to stop me. Whenever I'm supposed to speak semi-publically, I take a calming breath and focus on the subject. I do not look the audience at the eyes; instead as my eyes wander, I focus on their noses. Noses are neutral, everyone has one and yet there is variety there. Each is individual. None is perfect. I too have a nose, and while different like everyone elses, most people never pay attention to it.

That always keeps me calm enough to finish: If I don't let my anxiety to rule me, others will never know it is there. No one will pay attention to it. Everyone stutters every now and then. Everyone sometimes momentarily forgets an aspect of what they were about to talk to. And if I, when I am in the audience, never notice it or pay undue attention to it when others do it, I can damn well be sure no one else will either when I do it.

But my hands tend to still shake. So I always carry something in them, be it a paper I'm using as check-list or a simple ball-point pen. Keep the hands moving. Engaged in the speech. I gesture with them, point towards a wall projection and never have them simply empty by my side.

And before I notice it, my speech is over. Another battle won, and all the sweeter for the fact that most people never knew it was fought. And I remember that feeling, for the next time I have to give a speech.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
I just got back from a Junior Statesmen of America conference where I did the main pro speech on a theoretical resolution to set a withdrawal date from Afghanistan at July 2011. I was in front of about 50 people, I had to make my argument, and answer to other people's rebuttals. Didn't bother me at all, I've done the same in front of about 200 people at a different JSA convention.

Also I'm an actor. And a singer.

I quite enjoy public speaking.

edit-

Also, try to go last. You might not have been as good as the people before you, but it will be remembered more.

RottingAwesome

Aug 15, 2009
i love public speaking, especially if it's something you're passionate about or have a strong opinion about

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
BlindMessiah94 said:
I love public speaking, never got me nervous actually.
Totally this. When you go first, you get it over with and you're not sitting in class overthinking EVERYTHING you're going to say. I used to get nervous all the time for it. Sometimes to the point where I would shake as I stood there. Nowadays, I've conquered that fear since nobody wants someone shaking who is guiding their plane to safety.

What I usually do, is I do the assignment that I will be presenting the night before (since I rarely ever look over something I've "completed") and that way the information is fresh in my mind. After that, I get a good nights sleep, eat a good breakfast, and head off to wherever it is that I'm going to give the speech. Once there, I usually ask to go first, and get up there in front of everyone and just do my thing. Moving around helps free me up a little, and when need be, having a podium of some sort or a table to lean on makes it alot easier if you get wobbly.

If you want anymore advice, feel free to talk to me.