punished for dominet gene?

garlicncow

May 6, 2010
Anyone else annoyed that first person AAA games are always right handed and have no way in the options to reverse them? This is seriously immersion breaking and i want to know if anyone else wishes companies would do the lefties of the world a favor and let the main character of their first person game have the option to be left handed.
examples being fallout 3, dragon age, and pretty much all FPSs (ok there is much descion making besides "What kills them better for what im doing," and "Do i want the missles or the fluffe wittle doggehs."
If you have any insight as to why devs dont do this for any of the 3 styles of games mentioned please post that to.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Because 90% (maybe, idk the number) of people are right handed, and doing that would just cost time and effort for something that doesn't really matter game-wise. Sorry. TF2 has a left handed option I believe.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Link from LoZ is often left handed, and I will admit it is a bit weird to play as him some time. Being a righty, since the left is my "weaker hand" so I imagine the sword blows are weaker and stuff.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
CS had it too. It wouldnt really be a problem with FPS its just a little mirror swap. But i think noone thinks of it because it doesnt really change the game. They dont have an option for wheelchair fps either.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Left handed designs never work due to the fact that lefties have spent their whole lives using the "righty" design. Have you ever use left-handed scissors? Good luck cutting paper.

Also, did you know left handed people die at a younger age compared to righties? It's due to the tiny amount of "stresses" they deal with on a daily basis from living in a righties' world. The difference is very small, but it's still interesting.

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
It would be fun to have a lefty on the screen. As a lefty myself, if play on the PC I usually use the mouse in my left hand and sometimes change the controls from "WASD" to something like "PL;'" so I can use the space-bar to jump. However, I think that it may be harder to program the two options. (Unless duel weald is there, than it shouldn't matter which one I want to be my "off hand")

garlicncow

May 6, 2010
PeePantz said:
Left handed designs never work due to the fact that lefties have spent their whole lives using the "righty" design. Have you ever use left-handed scissors? Good luck cutting paper.

Also, did you know left handed people die at a younger age compared to righties? It's due to the tiny amount of "stresses" they deal with on a daily basis from living in a righties' world. The difference is very small, but it's still interesting.
yes i have, i cut the shit out of paper.
i use my mouse in my left hand and type differently as well has re-keybind everything to be more comfortable.

and yes if you can do as extra credit put it and think like a developer and are left handed you have probably caught yourself doing things you really wouldn't do if things where in the reverse. It's kinda interesting

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
I know a few games that do, but even though I am left handed, I find it weird when the gun and that in an FPS is on the left. For example, I find it awkward to play as Sheva in RE5.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
As long as it was optional then fine, forcing left-handedness would confuse the shit out of me (i basically can't do anything with my left hand)

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Fr said:
anc[is]Because 90% (maybe, idk the number) of people are right handed, and doing that would just cost time and effort for something that doesn't really matter game-wise. Sorry. TF2 has a left handed option I believe.
The number of customization options have severely been limited since the genre made the switch to consoles. I recently picked up Unreal Tournament III for the PS3 and was surprised by the lack of game play modes, skins, and basic customization options. You go back to UT or UT2k3/4 and you got pages of options to customize things like the color and size of your HUD.

Still, I enjoy a good old-fashioned deathmatch... as long as I don't actually have to go on-line to experience it :)

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
garlicncow said:
PeePantz said:

yes i have, i cut the shit out of paper.
i use my mouse in my left hand and type differently as well has re-keybind everything to be more comfortable.
I think that you might be the only customer at the Leftorium.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I'm ambidextrous, so think of how often my type of people get used.

I CAN SWITCH HANDS AND GAIN A STROKE! ISN'T THAT AMAZING?!

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Don't worry OP... shooters give you right-handed characters, but at the same time, most shooters give you left-handed guns.

So in reality, the games are trying to be ambidexterous.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
Most people aren't left-handed, and many that are used to using right handed designs (as mentioned before).

Also, making the option of being left-handed costs money. Money to create additional graphics and adjust the current graphics so weapons etc look right being used left-handed, money to code the option and recode the actions the player takes (so that the correct animations play correctly), money to do extra testing to make sure the left-handed design doesn't cause collision issues.

Ultra_Caboose

Aug 25, 2008
That's not too bad of an idea, but I can't see how it would impact very much. You could swap the button mapping, and perhaps flip the character model.

Does being left handed really limit you that much when playing a game? I have a couple of lefties in my group of friends and I've never heard much from them about the issue...

gh0ti

Apr 10, 2008
Despite being right-handed, I used to play CS and other shooters with left-handed models. I think it used to be easier for developers to include a left-handed option as all it really needed was a couple of sprites and an animation. These days, an option like that would take far more engineering and you can understand why devs, already under such tight time-constraints, don't think it worth their while devoting the effort for 8-15% (Wikipedia's estimation) of their audience - a lot of whom don't care either way.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
messy said:
Link from LoZ is often left handed, and I will admit it is a bit weird to play as him some time. Being a righty, since the left is my "weaker hand" so I imagine the sword blows are weaker and stuff.
Actually, if you go back far enough Link from LoZ is ambidextrous. Take a gander at the LTTP sprites for him facing left/right.

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
"punished for dominant gene" sorry that was just bugging me... grammar-nazi moment over. Onto actual question now. As Fr]anc[is has already said:
Fr said:
anc[is]Because 90% (maybe, idk the number) of people are right handed, and doing that would just cost time and effort for something that doesn't really matter game-wise. Sorry. TF2 has a left handed option I believe.
Plus Link from Zelda, Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, and the space marine from Doom are all left-handed, and it never bothered me while playing or made me lose immersion. Sorry to sound condescending, but this just seems like such a petty, minor detail to get all worked up about

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
also, left handedness isn't caused by a dominant gene, it's more complex than that. But it's defiantly not dominant.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I contemplated a bit on OP being a troll... But what I could make of the text, it seems as if this topic was about left-handedness.

cl_lefthand 1

But it just feels so weird. Some people like it, but I just think it feels too weird, and bothers me. It's so weird.