Punisher and Elektra Show Off Their Costumes In Daredevil Teaser

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Punisher and Elektra Show Off Their Costumes In Daredevil Teaser

Daredevil, Punisher, and Elektra are all comparing vigilante suits in the latest teaser for Netflix's Marvel series.

When did we get to the point <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165780-Check-Out-the-Daredevil-Season-2-Teaser-Trailer>where Daredevil Season 2 was a single week away? However it happened, Netflix's latest outing is a highly-anticipated one, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142811-Trailer-First-Look-at-Netflixs-Daredevil-Season-Two>introducing both Punisher and Elektra to Hell's Kitchen. It's also where we'll see how Netflix's Marvel series handle superhero costumes, now that Daredevil will sport his familiar red outfit.

Matt Murdock isn't the only character with a costume, however. Punisher and Elektra will have their own, both of which have been showcased in a new teaser. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141091-Jon-Bernthal-Is-The-Punisher-In-Marvel-And-Netflixs-Daredevil-Season-2>Jon Bernthal's Punisher is finally bearing his iconic skull shirt, while <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142811-Trailer-First-Look-at-Netflixs-Daredevil-Season-Two>Elodie Yung's Elektra wields sais and wears a mask reminiscent of the Hand's ninjas.

These costumes are look a little ridiculous compared to the polished, Avengers-quality counterparts we've seen in theaters. And that could be a problem, considering how much of an emphasis Daredevil places on gritty, street-level vigilantism. But if the performances behind the costumes are solid, it shouldn't be a huge issue - and Daredevil has done exceptionally well on that score. We'll find out when Season 2 hits Netflix on March 18, 2016.

[gallery=5929]

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Marvel Netflix is the only Marvel product I care about right now. Maybe Civil War but honest, not hyped. While the MCU is on a larger scale, those on Netflix seems more personal and intense. Fighting a more personal battle instead of chasing something. They aren't unbeatable, or OP. They have flaws, work hard on them while still trying to live in the real world. DareDevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist. More is needed. More grounded and personal ordeals for these "heroes".

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Parasondox said:
While the MCU is on a larger scale, those on Netflix seems more personal and intense. Fighting a more personal battle instead of chasing something.
I agree - but I'd also say that in general, TV is just generally an easier fit for comics. Movies are great for big spectacle, but TV is better for long-arc storytelling, which is what comics ultimately are. When comics are reduced to simplistic villain-hero beatups, basic love stories and a few clever quips, they miss the long development of character relationships that are what keep people attracted to the books.

The only problem in the past has been the difficulty of creating decent special effects on a TV scale. Daredevil and Jessica Jones have both been quite clever in their low-key approach to the super-elements of their stories. Jessica's strength is manifested in small, compact actions, while much of Daredevil's fighting and acrobatics was done using clever use of camera framing and sound effects to convey the action. But it'll be interesting to see how well that stands up in the long term.

Making the next season focus on the moral difference between Murdoch's strict ethical code and Punisher's vigilante justice was a great decision and I'm pretty sure it'll be fantastic (although I hope and assume they'll find plenty of space for the real star of the show, Kingpin). But eventually I can't help feeling they're going to need to bust out at least a few really big set-pieces to remind us we are still in a comic book universe where Gods walk the earth.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Fanghawk said:
Looks good, really looking forward to the new season. However, important point - Eldon Henson would only be playing Elektra if the character had a sex change. Eldon actually plays Foggy Nelson, while Elektra is going to be portrayed by Elodie Yung. I think the wording in the source article may have been a bit confusing :).

Still, otherwise good. Plus, I actually think the costumes fit with the show as seen in the first season, and I have enough faith in the newcomers as well as the returning cast that they'll kick all kinds of ass in the new run.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Trivun said:
Fanghawk said:
Looks good, really looking forward to the new season. However, important point - Eldon Henson would only be playing Elektra if the character had a sex change. Eldon actually plays Foggy Nelson, while Elektra is going to be portrayed by Elodie Yung. I think the wording in the source article may have been a bit confusing :).

Still, otherwise good. Plus, I actually think the costumes fit with the show as seen in the first season, and I have enough faith in the newcomers as well as the returning cast that they'll kick all kinds of ass in the new run.
Yup. Source article botched it, and therefore so did I. Thanks.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Oh hell yeah! I didn't know Shane was gonna be The Punisher.
Parasondox said:
Marvel Netflix is the only Marvel product I care about right now. Maybe Civil War but honest, not hyped. While the MCU is on a larger scale, those on Netflix seems more personal and intense. Fighting a more personal battle instead of chasing something. They aren't unbeatable, or OP. They have flaws, work hard on them while still trying to live in the real world. DareDevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist. More is needed. More grounded and personal ordeals for these "heroes".
I think maybe you haven't seen any of the MCU movies if you think that the heroes are "unbeatable" and don't have flaws.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Oh hell yeah! I didn't know Shane was gonna be The Punisher.
Parasondox said:
I think maybe you haven't seen any of the MCU movies if you think that the heroes are "unbeatable" and don't have flaws.
To an extent, perhaps. TV series give more time to explore those flaws, though. In a two-hour Iron Man or Captain America film, you aren't going to fit in arcs of weakness when the bad guy still needs to be stopped before curtains. Tony Stark may have all sorts of problems with alcohol, health, women, narcissism, etc., but there isn't enough time in his movies to really explore truly dark directions that his character could go.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Really like the Punisher suit. A vigilante with painted body armor was all I wanted, and I think that fits the Marvel DD tone well.
Still want to see Daredevil in action again, because I wasn't a huge fan of the costume at the end of season 1, it just looked weird. Same with Elektra's costume, I like the two-color tone over the standard all-red outfit, but I want to see it in a fight.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I hope that Matt's suit get super destroyed, as indicated by trailers. Because while its not bad, it could be better. There was a lot of unnecessary black lines everywhere. TBH, if they just spray painted the entire thing red it would look great.