Puppet Masters

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Puppet Masters

MovieBob sits down and picks the brains of the creators of ParaNorman.

Read Full Article

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
A note for the record, stop motion animation is a pain in the @$$ to do. Coraline only had three seconds of footage made a DAY, and that is on GOOD days when you don't break the extremely fragile puppets, lose any of the tiny pieces, or mess up a movement. They had to inject each and every hair into the dolls, even the dogs. Every costume was knit by one woman using a needle smaller than a human hair. The mouse circus in that movie? The mice were so small, they had to make a mouse for every frame of movement, and there were hundreds of them.

CGI is more popular is because you can make a film a LOT faster than stop motion.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Coraline only had three seconds of footage made a DAY, and that is on GOOD days when you don't break the extremely fragile puppets, lose any of the tiny pieces, or mess up a movement.
2 out of 3 of those are still solved by 3D printers.

"Damnit! I smashed a head."
"It's okay! I have more plastic! *print*"

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
MowDownJoe said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Coraline only had three seconds of footage made a DAY, and that is on GOOD days when you don't break the extremely fragile puppets, lose any of the tiny pieces, or mess up a movement.

I meant the puppets arms mostly, and I don't think those are printable.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
MowDownJoe said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

I'm no expert, but actually I'm pretty sure the entire doll (minus costume and hair) can be done on the 3D printer, I've seen some of the elaborate things that can be done. Remember those statues of your characters you could get from WoW? those are done the same way as this.

But on topic, it's always cool to see a company take a new technology and craft something amazing out of it, that's why I loved Avatar, even if the story was a bit predictable, it's the only 3D movie I've seen that doesn't agitate my migraine.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Valanthe said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
MowDownJoe said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

I'm no expert, but actually I'm pretty sure the entire doll (minus costume and hair) can be done on the 3D printer, I've seen some of the elaborate things that can be done. Remember those statues of your characters you could get from WoW? those are done the same way as this.
The arms have pivots and joints under there "skin," which I assume the WoW character statues don't have. 3D printing is amazing, but it can't make an interior joint.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Valanthe said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
MowDownJoe said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

The arms have pivots and joints under there "skin," which I assume the WoW character statues don't have. 3D printing is amazing, but it can't make an interior joint.
The more advanced ones can, they print a water soluble layer between the moving parts. It's pretty cool actually.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Cpu46 said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Valanthe said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
MowDownJoe said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

The more advanced ones can, they print a water soluble layer between the moving parts. It's pretty cool actually.
mm, that's pretty cool, didn't know they could do that now, it's weird thinking you can just "print" a new figure.

I do love me some stop motion films, there's just something about the aesthetic that I really like, but you don't see too many films with it because it's so prohibitive to get it done. But then I guess if it was more common the films that do it wouldn't seem like such a treat.

OT: Reckon I might go and see ParaNorman tomorrow, looks good and seems to be getting rave reviews, and it's always nice to see something original get recognized. I guess I'll check out Coraline too at some point. Plus I seem to find this level of horror seems to do horror better than movies that are supposed to be horror, because they can't just use BLOOD AND GUTS ITS SCARY! ARE YOU SCARED NOW?!! There's actual tension and can be /scary/ rather than just trying to make you jump all the time and missing the point of /horror/.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
A friend and I went see this Friday and it was great. I couldn't have asked for a better movie to end the summer on. And the climax of the film (0 . 0) I know most of it was probably digtal but by god was it a feast for the eyes and it really hits all the right buttons. It's got great little puns throughout, some great slapstick, and a rolly polly fat kid with a well meaning meat head of a brother.

Like Bob said in his review though, it's hard to talk more about the movie without revealing spoilers. Give these people your money, they're probably not getting much since the Expendables 2 and The Campaign sucked up most of the time slots. (and some Whitney Houston tribute film called "Sparkle" yeah, they gave that more prominence than an actual movie)

solidsamurai

Jun 7, 2011
I'm still adamantly confuddled about the whole interior joint printing thing. How do water soluble layers let you print joints inside an object? Also, it would still require more skill - the 3d model would require the joints to be approximated to the body, make sure the joint doesn't poke through, ruin doll integrity, etc.

And how would the body material go with the joint?

Someone once said you could use it to print actual tools at some point in the future. I hope it never is taken to that point. And even if it were, it'd be far too expensive vs. simply buying the tool at a store.
----

It's alright for the stage it is at right now.

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
solidsamurai said:
I'm still adamantly confuddled about the whole interior joint printing thing. How do water soluble layers let you print joints inside an object? Also, it would still require more skill - the 3d model would require the joints to be approximated to the body, make sure the joint doesn't poke through, ruin doll integrity, etc.

And how would the body material go with the joint?

Someone once said you could use it to print actual tools at some point in the future. I hope it never is taken to that point. And even if it were, it'd be far too expensive vs. simply buying the tool at a store.
With a water soluble printing layer it's crazy easy to make most any joints. Basically you print normally around the joint and then you make a single layer of the water soluble substance followed by your normal layers and finally closed with the substance again. Once the printing is done you clean your model in water, the water soluble substance dissolves and you are left with a free moving joint.

If you look at it from a 2D perspective you get something like this where X is the normal substance and O is the soluble one:

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXOOOOOOOXXX
XXOOXXXXXOOXX
XXOOXXXXXOOXX
XXXOOOOOOOXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

and once you wash it away you get this, which allows you a freely rotating interior joint:

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXX.....................XXX
XX......XXXXX......XX
XX......XXXXX......XX
XXX.....................XXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

As for tools, 3D printing makes a lot of sense for certain highly specific tools. While it wouldn't be the best for something like a hammer that is used in a wide variety of circumstances and doesn't require a very specific shape, it would be great for specialized tools like those used for watch or cell phone repair where screw sizes and shapes can vary from model to model.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Coraline was a great movie and I'm excited about this one. For anyone who wants to see a truly scary animated movie check out Monster House [link]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385880/[/link] . I picked it up on a whim and it was a complete surprise.

nezroy

Oct 3, 2008
MovieBob said:
ParaNorman is constructed in the manner of a multi-layered mystery, wherein almost every character is concealing (though not always consciously) a secret that makes them radically different from how they're perceived.
This instantly makes me think Translyvania 6-5000.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
What? Orange and teal colour schemes are "dehumanising"? I know it's overused but what does that even mean?