Purgatory ( Sci-fi survival horror RP ) ( Started )

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
[HEADING=1]Purgatory[/HEADING]
[HEADING=2]Sci-Fi Survival Horror RP[/HEADING]
[HEADING=2]Chapter 1...[/HEADING]

A soft hiss echoed around the room, flashing lights were buzzing slowly flooding the room in a red light. A man dropped from a cryotube, cluching his head. As he came too, he stumbled, holding onto the Cryotube. Removing his hand from the tube, a name tag was revealed. "Engineer Hudson".

Hudson scrambled around on the floor, his breaths coming short and fast. Slowly Hudson stood up, still clutching his head, he looked around the room. The dark metallic walls, littered with piping and wires, glowing red in the light emitted from the emergency strips. In the corner stood several lockers, making his way to them he found his. Clumsily opening the metal box, he withdrew clothing and his webbing. As he changed from his cryosuit into the navy blue engineeing uniform, he reviewed his job uplink. Nothing showed up.
"Thats strange?" He said to himself as he tapped the side of the pad.
Chucking his webbing over one shoulder, he slide his arm through the other opening, zipping the vest. Looking back at the cryotubes, all but one had been opened. He stood, confused, for a moment before picking up his bolt cutter and other tools and strapped them to his belt.
Hudson made his way to the door. It remained shut. "Open." He ordered.
With a hiss, the doors slide to the side, revealing the lobby. Inside, a weak light flickered. The strobelighting hung from the roof, blood smeared across the walls and floor. Hudson took it all in, he stepped slowly out of the cryoroom, scanning the lobby. He raised a flash light and made his way across the room, towards the exit.

The door opened, with a low hiss. Beyond it lay a darkened corridor, a light flashing in the distance. Debris was littered along the corridor, covered in blood, which gleamed in the low light. As Hudson took a step out into the corridor, a noise came from the ventilation shaft. A scratching, like bone being dragged across metal. It was coming closer. The odd bang, as if someone was crawling followed. Hudson took a step back. As he did, he kicked a small piece of debris, which rolled along the corridor, clanging as it went. The scratching and banging stopped. Hudson held his breath. His heartbeat racing, a smell of rotting meat flowed over his senses. looking to his side, a corpse lay, torn to shreds, deep slash wounds across it's torso. the mutilated corpse was unrecognisable. Panic flooding over him, Hudson stepped back into the lobby, closing the door behind him.

Staring around the dark, ruined room, Hudson thought. This wasn't a military vessel. There were no bigger weapons. What ever was happening out there had obviously happened across the entire ship. Even if he sent a distress signal, it would be years before anyone could reach them. The helplessness washed over him, he was stranded. Possibly alone, on a ship with something hostile. He was an engineer, not a soldier. He looked at the bolt-cutter on his belt, this was all he had.

A sudden smash in the lobby made Hudson stop. He turned, facing the door. Several more smashes came from the room. A low pitch growl followed. Taking a step back, Hudson flattened himself against the wall. A thud came as the door buckled, it held. Just. Another thud. The door caved inwards, still holding. His heartbeat now racing,His hands were shaking, his eyes wide in fear. Another thud. A small space was visible at the top of the door as it bent inwards. A loud growl echoed through the room.
"Hello?" someone shouted.
Hudson closed his eye's. He couldn't help them.
"Hello? whats going on!"
A smash came from the other room, something had climbed into the air ducts. Hudson looked towards the doorway. He heard the hiss as the lobby doors opened. He couldn't go out. He knew what was happening.
"Hello? Security? What's going o-" A loud thud came, as whatever was out there smashed out of the roof. A scream came. The power went off. Flushed into complete darkness, Hudson sat, frozen in fear against the wall, The agonising screams from whoever was out there, mixed with the savage growling and sounds of tearing flesh filling the air. The screaming stopped. The lights came back on. Through the gap in the doorway, Hudson seen a corpse being dragged into the vents. He clutched his head in his hands, sliding to the floor and dragging his knees in closer to his chest. He was bathed in darkness as the red emergency lights flashed, only to be illuminated in a deep red as they flashed back on. He started sobbing slowly.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010
Susannah Calem sat on the floor, at the far end of her cryo-chamber, knees pulled tight to her body. More sounds were coming from somewhere past the door as she continued to regain her composure.

What the fuck is going on!? she thought to herself for what seemed the hundredth time in half an hour.

She'd been woken from her cryosleep, and was still feeling sick as a result. Susie had groggily dressed herself in some comfortable shorts and a black tanktop before heading to see what she was needed for. Usually when she was woken up, there'd be some sort of message waiting for her but this time there had been nothing. Upon opening her cryo-chamber door, she was confronted with the ghastly scene of blood and bodies decorating the dull walls. Odd that her initial thought was not so dull anymore before realisation, and forced her to panic.

So here Susannah has sat for half an hour; failing to get through to security, crying, and feeling regret at accepting the opportunity to board the HMS Intrepid. The opportunity that took her away from her loving family...a family that she was starting to believe she would never see again.

Suddenly, a crash came from behind the door again, closer this time than ever before. Despite having blocked the door with anything in the room that could be moved, Susannah still began to panic uncontrollably. Standing up, she gripped her hunting knife and called out to her unknown antagonist, "Who are you? What's going on!?"

Silence was her only reply. Not trusting her ears, Susannah stared intently at the blocked doorway and gripped the knife even harder.

What the fuck is going on!?

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
"Hmm?" Liz said as she heard the hissing noise of pressure equalisation. "Five more minutes." she said jokingly as she pushed on the lid of her cryotube. She peered around the dimly lit room for the senior comms officer. That was strange, he wasn't around. That meant something, but Liz couldn't quite remember what. She sat up and gingerly placed her bare feet on the cold metal of the chamber floor. She removed the card from its slot and inserted it into the personal items locker keycard reader. A high pitched beep told her it had been accepted and she twisted the handle, pulling as she did so to open the small hatch. She pulled the standard issue comms officer uniform from the overhead shelf and pulled it on, then grabbed a pair of socks and her comfortable black shoes, sitting on the edge of the foam bedding as she pulled them on to keep from falling as her balance went almost entirely. As she regained control of her balance, she noticed the red light flashing next to the locker, and flicked the toggle next to it.
Code:
"Message beings: Due to the unexpected and violent manner in which the previous holder of your position became unable to perform his or her duties, protocol requires you be outfitted with some form of self-defence. You will be supplied with a standard issue long-range taser..."
She missed the last part of the message as the sudden stench of iron hit her, and she gagged, threw up, and stumbled to the toilet to get something to clean up.

She took a few paper towels from the dispenser by the sinks and checked her appearance in the mirror. She didn't look too bad for someone who had been effectively brain dead for... She wasn't sure how long, the person who woke you was supposed to say. She returned to the tube and wiped up the contents of her last meal before she entered cryo. 'Lovely' she thought to herself. 'At least no-one was around to see.' She took the taser and spare batteries from the offered plate, and tucked it into the trousers of her uniform, quietly hoping it didn't go off accidentally. She sat on the edge of the bed again, straightening out her uniform as she pondered what was so strange.

"Of course!" she exclaimed aloud to herself. Everything was red! The emergency lighting was on, the light next to her locker was supposed to be blue, but in the lighting, the red had overpowered it. She looked around again, her eyes accustomed to the semi-darkness and the red lighting. The door was barricaded from the inside. A voice came from the corner of the room, the opposite one to the toilet. "Who are you? What's going on?" It asked.
Liz nearly fell off the bed in shock, only managing to stay on because she had been overbalancing the other way at first. "I'm Liz" She said, looking towards the corner. "Liz Bowes, I'm a..." She struggled to remember what she did, she checked her bag to see if there was a clue in there. She saw a soldering iron and a first aid kit. "An electrician? No, I'm the junior comms officer. You aren't the senior officer though. Where's he?" Her mind still wasn't working at full capacity, so she hadn't taken in the message given by the automated unit that had distributed the taser. "Wait, why was I given a taser?" she asked too. "What's your name?"

She stopped, and regained her thoughts, putting them in an ordered list. "Wait, let me start again. I'm Liz Bowes, I'm the ju- I'm a comms officer. I just woke up. I suppose you did too?"

I'm sorry, my writing is really poor tonight. I'll try to improve it in future.

Also, just as a clarification, I'm waking Liz up after Tips Of Fingers' post ends, and Susannah is repeating her query to Liz. I'm taking liberties here thinking she'd be too disoriented and scared to have said anything at first. I'll edit it if necessary.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010
Can't send a proper response now, but I just wanted to say that I had no idea we were in the same room as others...otherwise I would have put something in about cryotubes... oh well. anyway, I'll respond properly either later tonight or as early as possible tomorrow. Sorry I can't do it right now.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010
Taking unsteady steps towards the woman who had emerged from one of the cryotubes, Susannah tentatively hid the knife from view; she didn't want to be thought of as crazy or untrustworthy.

"I-I-I..." She took a deep breath and tried to gather her composure. "I'm Susie. Look, there's something going on outside...Blood," she hesitated, swallowing audibly, "blood everywhere. I think someone's out there."

Hurrying to the communication device on the wall, Susannah explained to Liz that she's not been able to get through to anyone since waking. "We seem to be alone at the moment..." A sudden rush of panic gripped Susannah and, raking her free hand through her disarrayed hair, she began to cry.

"I just want to see my family..."

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Hudson looked up, a faint whispering was being blown through the air conditioning. Hudson stood and followed the pipe along, his hands sliding over the smooth metal. It hit the port wall. "There in Unit 3" thought Hudson. Before he moved, he caught himself, he wondered, where they people? what was out there. his heart was beating faster, racing. Hudson steadied himself. Looking around the room he found the security guards locker. He'd sealed it himself before he had entered Cryo.

Moving quickly to the lockers, with only a single glance at the doorway, Hudson flashed his ID card over the scanner, the locker opened with a 'PING' Inside lay the security overalls and a baton. Titanium alloy, light but hard hitting and durable. Hudson picked it up, feeling the weight in his hand.

He moved towards the buckled door, peering between the bent metal. Steadying himself, he let out a deep breath, his hands shaking, he grabbed the door and pushed it slowly back in. With a heave it slid, slowly back, leaving just enough room to slip through. Standing in the now deserted maintenance walkway, Hudson peered down both of the hall ways. The bridge, to his left was only a hundred meters along, but the voices, they were another hundred meters along the other way. His boots clanged on the hard metal railing beneath him. Carefully, stepping over the debris littered along the hallway and peering through the dim lighting, Hudson made his way to Cryo-storage unit 3.

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
Walter woke with a start, almost hitting his head off the door to his Cryotube. He paused for a moment to get his bearings and then pushed the door opened. He stumbled out, the room almost completely dark. He couldn't see his hand in front of his face, he slowly shuffled to the closest wall and felt his way along it. His hand touched a locker and he opened it, he felt inside and found a small, metal box. Feeling along the top he realized his name was stamped onto it. He opened it and pulled out his overalls, which he slipped on, and his kit. He put the PDA on his right wrist and the tool kit around his waist. He then continued feeling along the wall.

Finally he found a light switch and flipped it on, he turned and froze. There was a pool of blood in the middle of the floor with drag marks out of the doorway, there were claw marks over the walls. He looked down and gagged, the hand he had been feeling the wall with was covered it blood, and it was fresh. Panic began to well up inside him, he wanted to call out for someone but the words died in his throat.

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
"Hey, Suzie, it's OK, it's probably just some idiot's idea of a joke, and it can't be helped by the cryosleep's effects. Are you absolutely sure what you saw wasn't a hallucination?" Liz said in soft tones, trying to comfort the hysterical woman. She moved to hug Suzie, but decided against it when she flinched away. Instead, she turned to the door and pried it open just a little. She only got a glimpse, but what she saw sent her reeling backwards. "OK, I think you're right, and that doesn't look or smell like a hallucination. Now how about we step back from the door in case you were right about someone being out there, though it may have been another crew member who has gone to get help." she said, bringing Suzie back towards the wall furthest from the door. She slipped the taser from the waistline of her trousers and aimed it at the center of the two sliding panels that the door consisted of.

Liz hated lying, but she thought saying there was a man with a baton slowly approaching them wasn't the best course of action. She also neglected to mention the knife, figuring it wasn't the best idea to try to separate a traumatised woman with a dangerous weapon. She waited, listening to the slow clang of each footstep approaching the door, each louder than the last. 'Don't open that door, I don't want it to be real' she thought desperately, the taser shaking violently in her hand, a second only reducing the effect a little.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Hudson could hear movement, hear the breathing of someone, something. His hands were trembling, his breath coming heavily. Carefully he rested his hand on the doorway. "Hello?" He whispered through the crack. Before anything came back, something caught his eye. Looking to the side, he saw something moving. It couldn't be Human, the limp was unnatural, the angles between joints. Hudson froze. Fear washing over him. He wanted to move, yet couldn't. It was coming slowly closer. A hundred meters away, barely visible in the dim light. The things head twisted, making Hudson urge. It looked at him, then with unseen agility it began sprinting.

Hudson Pulled as hard as he could on the doors, keeping his eye's on the thing. he had mere seconds to get in and close the door.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010
Susannah, shifted uncomfortably as the other women turned to face the door. Testing her grip on the knife, she thought about her children...about the life she'd left behind in order to be frozen out in space. With a loud sigh, she scrubbed her eyes with an arm and attempted to regain some sort of composure.

shakily climbing to her feet she addressed Liz in a quiet voice: "you seem surprisingly fucking calm for someone who's just seen a corridor full of blood. Are you not at all concerned about what caused it?" Susannah placed her hand on the other woman's shoulder, squeezing hard. "I hope you're right about someone going to get help...we can't stay in this room forever." After stumbling to her locker, she inspected its contents, giving a wry laugh at what she found, "although if we do need to stay in here, I have something that might make it a little more bearable."

The hopeless feeling inside of her grew as she continued to stare at the box labeled "horse tranquilisers", seemingly transfixed at the idea of an easy way to end her deepening despair.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Kurt came to in his cryotube as he felt himself come out of cryo-sleep. He waited a bit as his vision began to return and his mind began to pick up. This was his first time coming to after being in a cryotube and it certainly was an odd feeling. He opened the door on his tube and moved out into the room containing his tube.

The only lights coming were the red emergency lights and the one light flickering across the room. Kurt looked around in confusion, wondering why this was. He expected to be greeted by one of the senior psychologists, not awaken in a room that looked like it could use some fixing. He moved over to his locker where his possessions would be, still glancing around the room with bewilderment. He opened up the locker after opening the lock and removed his clothes, datapad, and journal with it's pen. Putting on his clothes, he sighed as he looked down at himself. He seemed to being gaining a bit of weight. Reaching back into the locker, Kurt removed the taser that he had never used before and attached it to his belt. Moving through the dimly lit room, Kurt opened the door leading to the hallway outside.

As he peered out he saw that most of the hallway was dark as well, with nobody in sight. His room he was willing to put up to some odd skip by the maintenance crew, but a whole hallway? Kurt felt a chill go down as spine as he began to feel worried that something had happened to the ship when he was in cryo-sleep. He did his best to calm himself before figuring that he should find someone to talk to so he could figure out what was going on, before he started to horrible conclusions.

"Heh-hello?" Kurt called out tentatively down the hallway, hoping to attract someone's attention.

CondorBob

Jun 8, 2009
Wesley dimly heard the locks on his cryotube disengage, and the grating of metal against metal as the cryotube's shell opened up, releasing him. He fell to the floor in a slump, breathing heavily as his body rebooted itself. This was his first "freezernap", a term that the more experienced crewmen used for cryosleep; these same crewmen had told Wesley that when you do thaw out, it's all you can do to keep breathing, let alone form a coherent thought. And though he had thought the men had been exaggerating, Wesley had now experienced firsthand that they were speaking the truth.

As his breathing returned to normal, and as the fog covering his mind subsided, Wesley realized the room he was in was entirely dark. But that couldn't be it; if there was power enough to open his cryotube then there would be some light.

"Then it's got to be my occular implants . . . must have malfunctioned during the cryosleep. Just going to have to wait for them to reboot. If they ever do, that is." Wesley said with his trademark pessimism, shakily getting up. He reached out for the wall and used it to guide him across the room towards the lockers. Along the way his hand slid through something warm and wet, and after cursing the janitorial staff, he wiped it off as best he could on his fatigues. He felt his way to his locker and slid down to the floor, not seeing the point of rummaging through his locker till he could see again.

Clearing his throat, he called out, "Anybody out there? Blindman in need of assistance here!"

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Oh gods, I'm so sorry for not being around and posting. I've had the third busiest week of my life in the past seven days and haven't had time to breathe, let alone post.
Anywho, I'm here and before I go off to do eighteen thousand other things, I'll get up something small to tide you over until I'm next free for a period longer than seventeen seconds.
"Well to be honest with you, I'm just doing my best not to think about it and hoping things stay." Liz confessed. She glanced at the tranquillisers, not liking the way Susie was looking at them, especially if whoever was out there was still approaching. The steps had stopped at what Liz guessed was a few metres away, but that was somehow worse than the arrhythmic pounding from before. She was about to check when suddenly the steps started again, frantically, then the person in the corridor began pounding on the door, trying to pull the sliders apart. She let out an involuntary squeal and jumped backwards, pointing the taser at the partition of the two segments, ready to fire, her hands shaking hard enough that she didn't even try to aim, just pointed it in the direction of the door.