Putting Gamers to Work: DARPA's Grand Design

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Putting Gamers to Work: DARPA's Grand Design

DARPA hopes to make crowdsourcing an exercise in entertainment.

Read Full Article

PcaKes

Jul 8, 2013
Soooo does anyone know if the game is fun? Is it worth prying myself away from DayZ?

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Pr0 said:
Valderis said:
Even if you could miraculously remove all bugs from Windows it would still be a shit product. Seriously, nothing can save it, it would be best to just shoot it in the face and bury it in the yard.

But more on topic, I would never willingly and knowingly put DARPA software anywhere near my PC, I don't trust them. Besides, helping the US develop better ways to kill people leaves a rather bad feeling in my stomach and would leave a horrible scar on my conscience I could never be rid of.

So fuck 'em!
I'll just leave this here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17pUBYESQBk] before you get too far afield.
Having no idea on what you could have possibly posted, I clicked on that.

Now, having seen it, if I ever meet you in real life...I'ma buy you an alcoholic beverage of your choice. Even if it's on a Sunday. Well played.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
In these times of budget cuts and crisis, DARPA may have found a way to fund its next multimillion dollar "Death Laser" project.

Well played DARPA, well played.

probably_insane

Sep 12, 2013
Wow. I'm sligthly disturbed.
Gilhelmi said:
In these times of budget cuts and crisis, DARPA may have found a way to fund its next multimillion dollar "Death Laser" project.
I would hazard the guess that it will actually rather be attack-angles against software (since "fixing windows" was mentioned). From what was described in the dev's blog posting I could very well imagine that in can be used for that. And they are not only saving money. They are aiming to utilize the free-time and braincapacity of people (of any age or even nationality and possibly not informed enough to know whom they are actually helping). Does this qualify for setting up a bio-computer?
Gilhelmi said:
Well played DARPA, well played.
It certainy will be, if this works.

Another question:
I was missing sarcasm in the introductory abstracts. Is this me not being used to reading the author or was he actually serious about what he said?

Just two other things:
Did someone else remember the first episode of stargate universe? :D
Funny thing, the blog article of the dev, which is linked has allready blocked comments, I take that as a good sign^^

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
probably_insane said:
snip

Another question:
I was missing sarcasm in the introductory abstracts. Is this me not being used to reading the author or was he actually serious about what he said?

Just two other things:
Did someone else remember the first episode of stargate universe? :D
Funny thing, the blog article of the dev, which is linked has already blocked comments, I take that as a good sign^^
No, I get great entertainment from reading about what DARPA is upto also. They have very interesting technologies that are in development. (insert maniacal laughter) Every thing they mentioned is a Real DARPA project, and those are some of the tamer ones. I was not completely joking about the "Death Laser" as they do have a couple different ones in development.

No, I missed SG: Universe. What happened?

Lastly, all of the links work for me. It might just be where you are.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
PcaKes said:
Soooo does anyone know if the game is fun? Is it worth prying myself away from DayZ?
I don't know that it's going to be able to pull you away from DayZ, honestly. It's a neat little puzzle game, certainly, but it's not going to deliver the same kind of experience that a "proper" game can. That said, I gave it some thought, and could easily see this kind of thing integrated into huge AAA titles, like the hacking mini-game in Black Flag. Barring the creation of the next big thing in casual games, I expect that's where it might have the most impact.

probably_insane said:
Another question:
As the poster above mentioned, there was no sarcasm there. These are some really remarkable technologies, regardless of their intended use. In fact, DARPA technologies aren't just for killing people more efficiently. "The [DARPA Robotics Challenge] (DRC) is a competition of robot systems and software teams vying to develop robots capable of assisting humans in responding to natural and man-made disasters." [http://www.theroboticschallenge.org/about] I'm not an advocate of violence in general, but I am an advocate of Galloping Death Robots because SCIENCE! Does DARPA scare me? Absolutely. But fear and respect aren't mutually exclusive!

probably_insane

Sep 12, 2013
Gilhelmi said:
No, I missed SG: Universe. What happened?
They basicly recruit one of the civil team-members (big nerd-steretype) after he solved a stargate-related mathematical problem, coded into a online-videogame.
On a sidenote, you didn't miss much at all in my opinion, it doesn't meassure up to the old stargateshows :/

I'm no stranger to entertaining myself by reading/watching stuff about weaponssystems. However I'm scared of losing the view of what those things do: Killing people, for not necassarily "just reasons" (if there is such a thing).

On the topic of civil technology:
Well I kind of view those as recruitement projects. I mean: Who would answer "Yes, of course" to the question "Hey, would you like to develope precision-bombs [for use in urban enviroments] for us?"? One would need to have an essential education plus being blindly patriotic or simple sociopathic to a degree. I would doubt you could recruit big well motivated researchteams that way.

Aren't their organizations with a purely civilpurpose, which make these kinds of projects?

Robots and their Stormbound project display two aspect of which I'm scared in particular:
Stormbound -> Deception
They get people to work for them without really telling them what exactly they do. If I understand correctly what the linked developer says, people work on recognizing patterns in the memeory of pc's. This can apparently be used to treat bugs. However it appears to me, that it isn't a far leap from treating those bugs to exploiting those bugs. And the people who "work" on that, don't know what exactly they do (neither do they seem to get payed).
Autonomous robots:
Well I guess these induce a multitude of unpleasant scenarios. One example is mounting weapons on them. It appears that it's actually even frowned uppon in the army to do this:
http://defensetech.org/2013/08/14/army-and-marines-leave-the-shooting-to-humans/
Another strategical aspect would be, that you don't need manpower (which to a certain degree is bound by emotional/moral aspects) anymore, but industrial power, only. You wouldn't need people to [kind of] agree with you [pan-asian-alliance/ devious US-administration/ megacorporation... take your pick] if you wanted to use force to aid your goals.

Encaen said:
But fear and respect aren't mutually exclusive!
Nope. Not at all. As I said, it will most certainly be well played by them if this works. However my fear outweights this, since I'm not sure on whether I and DARPA stand on the same side of the barricade.