Putting The Boot In

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Nixou said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
B-b-b-but Genesisdid..... ::Cries:: DAMN YOU DREAMCAST!!!!
Don't blame the Dreamcast: blame all the kids who bought the PS2 at launch when it was still an overpriced console with basically zero worthy game on it.
More like blame the internal rivalry and miscommunication within the company along with some really stupid business ideas. The Dreamcast was just their last ditch effort and would have probably worked if their had the money to keep on fighting.

OT: I do love the fact that two former enemies are now business partners, but I still miss the old Sega (mostly because the Sonic games were guaranteed not to suck).

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Nixou said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
B-b-b-but Genesisdid..... ::Cries:: DAMN YOU DREAMCAST!!!!
Don't blame the Dreamcast: blame all the kids who bought the PS2 at launch when it was still an overpriced console with basically zero worthy game on it.
I can't fault Sony, that could be said of litterally EVERY popular console to come out post-NES.

Dreamcast was ahead of it's time, being the first console with a built in modem, and being one of the first to bring Voicechat, DLC, and a Second screen to the game. If the world had the networking options available to it today back then, Sega would probably still be a major player in the console world.

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
I can't fault Sony

Neither am I: the PS2 was a great console, it's just that it wasn't worth the entry price for its first 18 months of existence yet still managed to gain dominance over the market on brand recognition alone.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Oh, the Nintendo/SEGA (that name can only be written in all Caps) rivalry. Their commercial were hilariously catty, like the Mac?PC ads of their time. Especially about their portable systems:

Yes, petrified squirrel. SEGA!, indeed.
OK, one more:

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I was actually quite fond of my Sega Saturn, it was first to launch by a good bit and actually had some really good games right out of the gate, largely because Sega could port their well established arcade games to it. Compare Daytona USA/Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter 2 to Ridge Racer and Tekken 1/2 on the Playstation and it was night & day. But unlike the Xbox 360, the 'launch early have good games sooner' strategy never worked.

And honestly I'm starting to think a lot of it had to do with their add campaigns. Yeah they're hilarious and the 'Blast Processing' & 'Nintendont' were great catchphrases for the playground at elementary school, but by the time that next gen launched we were moving into high school and those sorts of gimmicks weren't going to work anymore, plus at that point everyone new the SNES was a better console than the Genesis anyways. Hard to take Sega seriously at that point, the cool kid act had worn out when they started advertising the Saturn and everyone just bought Playstations.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Let's be honest: "Sega vs. Nintendo" was never a match between equals. Sega had one successful console ever, and after that it was always a question of whether they could survive at all, let alone keep up the momentum. Any perceptions you might have to the contrary? You can thank their marketing department for that.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
VanQ said:
Makabriel said:
VanQ said:
People have been asking for a female Link for years.

Nintendo heard. Nintendo obliged.

And everything went FAR better than expected.
Um.. no? There is no Female Link. Just rejected concept art.
Did you miss the part of the image where Bayonetta is wearing a green tunic, has Link's shield equipped and has swords on her boots?
That would be Bayonetta cosplaying..

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
If Sega didn't want Nintendo touching Bayonetta they should have funded the sequel, but regardless I do think that the Nintendo skins are really, REALLY tacky.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Redlin5 said:
Nintendo won this feud because, you know, they still produce consoles. I'm pretty sure they don't even give Sega that much thought anymore these days. At least until Sega restarts their ad campaign against Nintendo.

Man, screw the Genisis commercial. The Sega Saturn ones were da BEST, yo!

In seriousness, I hope all of that rivalry is truly gone; Bayonetta 2 shows that Sega and Nintendo can really do a lot of good if they work together.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Makabriel said:
VanQ said:
Makabriel said:
VanQ said:
People have been asking for a female Link for years.

Nintendo heard. Nintendo obliged.

And everything went FAR better than expected.
Um.. no? There is no Female Link. Just rejected concept art.
Did you miss the part of the image where Bayonetta is wearing a green tunic, has Link's shield equipped and has swords on her boots?
That would be Bayonetta cosplaying..

I'm sorry. Usually people are in these threads saying how they don't get the joke in the comic. This would be the first time I've seen someone come in here and fail to grasp a simple joke in the comments.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Yeah, Sega pretty much licks Nintendo's boots at this point. Once Sonic games started getting thrown onto the Wii, things got sad. When Nintendo actually made a better Sonic character then Sega, it was over. Nintendo, what is best in life?

http://youtu.be/Oo9buo9Mtos?t=17s

Still, Valkyria chronicles.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I feel like the second panel and third panel should be switched. The dialogue should remain the same though.

Like the third panel is only the last one because you can't fit the picture of Bayonetta next to the big head without it being awkward.

Groverfield

Jul 4, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks she needs a Captain N outfit? Also, we find out who the inspiration for Tom Nook was.