Pyre, Supergiant Games' upcoming IP...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hello mural masters of political dissent, an interesting title has surfaced from deveopers of Bastion and Transistor, called Pyre. Haven't found any mention of it on this site so far, hence my duty to fix this gaping void of information. The art style and music are beautiful, as is expected from the developer. Here is a gamplay video from the PS4 (?) version;

Short developer summary: "Pyre is a party-based RPG in which you lead a band of exiles to freedom through an ancient competition spread across a vast, mystical purgatory."

More detailed: "At the beginning of the game, your luck has almost run out when several masked wanderers find you and revive you from the brink. With your help, they seek to learn the truth about the Rites, a secretive competition through which the worthiest exiles can return home, absolved of their transgressions. As you journey across the Downside in the wanderers' custom blackwagon, you'll meet a variety of characters of all shapes and sizes, and learn what's in store for each of them should they prevail in the Rites. Your actions will determine who returns to glory, and who remains in exile to the end of their days."

Also out on Steam, will update once on to a more capable device.
Anybody here played their previous titles? Positive and/or negative opinions on them so far? I am mildly intrigued more than usual for this game. Love the exaggerated voice acting of the tournament commentator as he mocks you in a Hand of Fate fashion. Something tells me you may have to reach and fight him to break the cycle later on, or not. Just speculation so far.

More info from their website: https://www.supergiantgames.com/blog/first-look-at-our-third-game-pyre/

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
What an interesting looking idea. Leave it to Super Giant to make something colourful and creative!

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
I love Supergiant games, so I can count on this game being really good. I can also count on forcing myself to cosplay it, since my previous two outfits at my local con have been The Kid from Bastion and The Boxer from Transistor.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
Played and fell in love with Transistor. The art, the writing, the characters, the music. Fantastic game. Personally a little lukewarm on Bastion probably because I didn't play it first, and you can see how the features of Bastion evolved into Transistor's much more streamlined setup.

As for Pyre, I'm excited, of course. Unfortunately....I predict a branching path of various very sad endings (if their previous two games are any indication), since what we've been teased with implies you can't save your whole team from their fate of exile. Maybe there's one "good" ending where it all works out, but it won't be easy, or obvious. Looking forward to playing it though, absolutely.

Also, more Darren Korb soundtracks? Yes please! Getting that for sure. The cosplay potential looks pretty good too, lots of unique character designs showing up.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Music and art, they're pretty good. Gameplay, story, characters? Honestly not so much. Transistor was a trainwreck as far as I'm concerned, either go turn-based, or go real-time, don't half-ass both and call it a day. Bastion just didn't feel right as a hack'n'slash with the perspective either.

Also, c'mon guys, Transistor has a good ending, it states pretty clearly in the lore that whoever is killed by the sword is downloaded and lives on inside it. No reason to expect there to be "sad" endings with this too.

Overall though, just hoping they aren't a one-trick developer and they can actually do something other than slightly dystopian apocalypse-lite. Because it's three games now and that seems to be the one thing they can do with their writing.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Only watched a couple minutes of it, but... is that a Soccer-Based, Real Time, Tactical Strategy RPG?

Fuck'n sold!

It looks a bit simplistic, and the bits I watched were 'easy,' but it was an intro. If they can make it work for a whole game, I will get it.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Hm. They had me interested at party-based RPG, but not sure how I feel about the actual look of the gameplay.

But it's Supergiant, so I'll keep my eyes on it.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Heard of this a while ago on the one hand I am intrigued as I love their art style and I like what they are doing here but I am not a fan of their previous works as I never played Bastion and found Transistor extremely boring I just found the gameplay to repetitive and I could not care less about the characters or the world which was a shame as once again it looked beautiful. Music wise I have nothing good or bad to say about it.

Will keep an eye on Pyre though just not sure I will get it anywhere near release.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I love how Supergiant has the balls to just do what they want. I followed Bastion before its release, and ever since then you can't "expect" anything other than the work having tons of love and soul and experimentation put into it.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013

A trailer with a song. Been checking out the team and they are only about 10 people, grown from 5 since Bastion. They do everything in-house by the looks of things. And Logan Cunningham's a member too! Pretty talented to get these games looking, sounding and feeling so slickly produced. Am kind of impressed so far, considering what is often plopped out with teams of 100 or so.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Huh.

The exile story seems like an odd match for the self-immolation soccer match gameplay. But alright, I can dig it.

Art and music is lovely of course. Love the character designs.

Reeeally not a fan of the dialogue presentation though. Looks like a cheap JRPG.

Hasn't quite grabbed me like their previous games did, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it.