Pyro Short Sets Saxxy Awards Ablaze, Winners Announced

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Pyro Short Sets Saxxy Awards Ablaze, Winners Announced

Aww, isn't he a cute little Pyro puppet!

The 2013 Saxxys [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129832-Third-Annual-Saxxy-Awards-Open-For-Voting] are over, and Brent Kennedy's Lil' Guardian Pyro short took the top prize this year. It's an age old tale of a fire-obsessed madman and his tiny lucky charm, defending a turret against certain doom, and you can check it out here:

But maybe you don't like Pyro puppets. You might be one of those crazed psychopaths who enjoys a bit of music now and again. Then perhaps The Mann Co. Symphony, winner of Best Short, is more to your liking:

You want more? Just how insane are you? Ahh, the action-packed kind of nutjob; an excellent choice, and may I recommend Best Action winner Chinatown Getaway?

But why so serious? Take a look at Disruption, winner of the Best Comedy award. Just don't adjust your set; the Scout controls the vertical, and the horizontal.

After the laughter, comes tears. Till Death Do Us Part was a 2012 Drama final four contestant last year, and its creator followed it up with Best Drama winner Till Death Do Us Part 2 . This time it's Scout's turn in the hot seat, but Spy's not far behind ... or at least, what's left of him.

Of course, they can't all be winners. If you haven't had enough of the Saxxys yet, and want to know which shorts Valve thought were great, but not quite great enough, check out the Honorable Mentions [http://www.sourcefilmmaker.com/post.php?id=11955&p=1] list.

Congratulations to all the Saxxy champions! Best of luck with those trophies [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yxvq2FOMy0] of yours; clonk the foe with pride, you earned it.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/11/27/the-saxxy-awards-2013-winners-announced-provide-many-minutes-of-animated-entertainment/]

xptn40S

Jan 11, 2011
Ummm......that's the first Till Do Us Part being displayed there. The second one is this one:

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I really liked the lil' pyro one, I sort of hope the creators will make it a mini-series or something with puppet/doll versions of all the team doing stuff.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
well at least Quest of the demoknight was nominated for comedy. (damn you angrysockpuppet and your effortless grasp of my humors... heheh st heffi...)

still the little pyro short is 3 parts adorable, 2parts epic and 10 parts spectacularly animated. it really deserved it's victory.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
There were 1 or 2 good ones this year, but overall I think the 2012 ones were better for the most part.

Glad "Till Death do Us Part" finally got the award it deserved. Really thought that Quest of the Demoknight should've won the Comedy award though.

But good as they were, Lil' Guardian Pyro definitely deserved to be the overall winner,

Also, I'm a bit confused that both Lil' Guardian Pyro and Chinatown Getaway are mentioned here since they're both classified as "Action", I thought only 1 movie in each category can get an award? or did they change that from last year?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Woo" I didn't expect the first nominees I've watched (Lil Pyro) to had won an award! I usually wrong at picking which ones will win it.

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
Lil Pyro was incredible. I usually don't watch the Saxxies, but that was adorable, badass and fun all in one. The mini-sapper, the comedy, the expressiveness. all was great.

Also, who uses a Flare Gun to send a signal of position? THe Flare Gun is a weapon, it is right there in the name. "Gun". Those crazy Saxxy Directors using the props wrongly.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Aeshi said:
Also, I'm a bit confused that both Lil' Guardian Pyro and Chinatown Getaway are mentioned here since they're both classified as "Action", I thought only 1 movie in each category can get an award? or did they change that from last year?
Each category gets a winner, but the overall winner can come from any four of the categories. For example, last year's winner was a nominee for the Drama section.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
vallorn said:
well at least Quest of the demoknight was nominated for comedy. (damn you angrysockpuppet and your effortless grasp of my humors... heheh st heffi...)

still the little pyro short is 3 parts adorable, 2parts epic and 10 parts spectacularly animated. it really deserved it's victory.
Yeah, it was a toss up for me personally between Disrupted and Quest of the Demonight for best of comedy. I'm leaning towards the latter, but the former was pretty damn funny; it was kinda like a disney short but Team Fortress themed.

And Little guardian pyro wasn't even in the same league as the rest. Just blew them all away. An excellent piece for SFM, and a great short by any standard.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Infernal Lawyer said:
Aeshi said:
Each category gets a winner, but the overall winner can come from any four of the categories. For example, last year's winner was a nominee for the Drama section.
I'm aware of that, but lasts year's winner was listed as both the Overall Winner and the Drama Winner, wheras this years Overall winner only won the Overall Award, not the Action one.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
The Lil' Pyro short felt like something from Pixar, it really derserved the win.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Aeshi said:
Infernal Lawyer said:
Aeshi said:
I'm aware of that, but lasts year's winner was listed as both the Overall Winner and the Drama Winner, wheras this years Overall winner only won the Overall Award, not the Action one.
Um, except that it didn't? Last year's winner ("Story of a sentry") was nominated for the Drama section and won the overall competition, but another film, "Bad Medicine", won the Drama section.

The full list can be found here: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/03/winners-of-the-second-annual-saxxy-awards-announced/

So there's no change, just business as usual for the Saxxy's.