Quantum Break PC Crashes Need a Windows 10 Update to Fix

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Quantum Break PC Crashes Need a Windows 10 Update to Fix

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1317/1317702.jpgThere have been some issues with the PC version of Quantum Break, and a Windows 10 update is needed to fix some of them.

If you've been playing Quantum Break on PC, you know there have been some issues. Framerates have been low - even on great hardware - and in many cases can't even get to the refresh rate of the monitor. A video memory issue in longer sessions can affect performance as well. But perhaps the most egregious problem is the propensity of the game to outright crash.

Earlier this week, Microsoft found a memory management issue in Windows 10 that is apparently causing the game to crash on certain video cards. Worse, this happens more frequently when you have your game settings cranked up. But that's not the worst news.

The worst news is that Remedy can't fix this issue. They need Microsoft to roll out a Windows Update to patch the issue. Plans are apparently in place to do this, but there's no word on when it might happen.

There are more issues with the game. You can see a full list of all the outstanding issues with all versions of Quantum Break over in the game's official forums [http://community.remedygames.com/forum/games/quantum-break/261576-quantum-break-state-of-the-game-updated-28-4-2016].

It's a shame to see the issues Quantum Break is having, especially since Remedy has been a pretty solid PC developer in the past. Hopefully they'll get it resolved soon.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
oh universal windows platform. you just keep digging that grave dont you.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So basically, GFWL 2 is so much worse that it now uses the Operating System to actively bork your games?

Yet another reason to love the number 7.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
How to guarantee to make your PC port an inferior experience? Make it for Windows 10 only! (and with UWP, no pesky modder will be able to improve it). Don't resist, we are the future of PC gaming!

Apr 28, 2008
This related to the fact that DX9 games can only access 4gb of VRAM on windows 10? How about an update for that too please.

Pro-tip to anyone upgrading to Windows 10 save the windows 7 files it keeps to somewhere safe so you'll always have a way to revert back after it deletes them after 30 days.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
It's a shame to see the issues Quantum Break is having, especially since Remedy has been a pretty solid PC developer in the past.
That's what you get for targetting a shit OS! I only hear problem after problem from everyone with Win 10, so glad I'm sticking with 7!

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
(claps)

Well done, Microsoft!

This is a great start to releasing your Xbox1 titles onto PC via the Windows gamestore only. Sure makes me want to buy stuff from ya.

(sighs) to paraphrase Oceans 11: "You Dozy pillocks! You had one job to do, MS... one job!"

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I wonder how many Win10 systems the required update will brick?

Irridium said:
Pro-tip to anyone upgrading to Windows 10 save the windows 7 files it keeps to somewhere safe so you'll always have a way to revert back after it deletes them after 30 days.
Says something about the company, doesn't it? Windows will happily download 17GB or more of data just in case you decide to upgrade, but once you do, it won't keep the files needed to reverse the process around for long. Once they've got ya, they wanna keep ya!

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
so in other words: do not get the game in the first place.
got it. had no interest in this title anyway.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
What I'm looking forward to is the windows updates that crash games, because then you're just screwed. Microsoft isn't going to patch windows just so you can run dosbox for your Gog games.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
sonicneedslovetoo said:
What I'm looking forward to is the windows updates that crash games, because then you're just screwed. Microsoft isn't going to patch windows just so you can run dosbox for your Gog games.
There's a reason why I'm slowly migrating my systems to Ubuntu. Windows can go jump in the lake, at this rate I'll keep 1 system as Windows for older games that don't run on Linux (even via WINE) and wont be ported and stay happy.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
My cynical mind suspects that if this was an .EXE rather than a UWP, a third party might have patched it by now.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
thats because the problem is not in the game itself but in the UWP programming that microsoft lached onto the game because fuck everyone that wants a decent experience. I hope UWP dies faster than GFWL did.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Relatively speaking, I've not had any issues with Windows 10 but that may be because I steadfastly refuse to support any software that requires or is sold through the UWP and also the Windows Store app. Otherwise the operating system works fine for about everything I own except a rare few games that didn't even work with Windows 7. I wish that Microsoft would wise up and realize that UWP is as awful as GFWL, and needs to not force things to work through their proprietary system. DX12 could be great but it needs to be a fuck of a lot more open and inclusive rather than exclusive to gain prominence instead of attract ire and salt.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Callate said:
My cynical mind suspects that if this was an .EXE rather than a UWP, a third party might have patched it by now.
Or even the developers themselves.

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Relatively speaking, I've not had any issues with Windows 10 but that may be because I steadfastly refuse to support any software that requires or is sold through the UWP and also the Windows Store app. Otherwise the operating system works fine for about everything I own except a rare few games that didn't even work with Windows 7. I wish that Microsoft would wise up and realize that UWP is as awful as GFWL, and needs to not force things to work through their proprietary system. DX12 could be great but it needs to be a fuck of a lot more open and inclusive rather than exclusive to gain prominence instead of attract ire and salt.
Same here; in fact, so far Windows 10 has actually had slightly better compatibility with some older games that were really difficult to get running on 7 for me.

The cynic in me says that Microsoft knows they're doing GFWL 2.0. They don't care, because they gotta get dat money somehow. I mean, it took them what, like, seven years to shutter GFWL even though it was awful from the moment they launched it and never got better.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Same here; in fact, so far Windows 10 has actually had slightly better compatibility with some older games that were really difficult to get running on 7 for me.

The cynic in me says that Microsoft knows they're doing GFWL 2.0. They don't care, because they gotta get dat money somehow. I mean, it took them what, like, seven years to shutter GFWL even though it was awful from the moment they launched it and never got better.
They're trying half-heartedly it seems. If Microsoft wants in on the gaming world in regard to PC, they have to realize their platform needs to be open. I think there's a disconnect somewhere, like people who're involved with one aspect aren't communicating properly with another aspect and that leads to debacles like GFWL and UWP. Durante, the dude who is best known for things like DSFix and other fan-fixes for PC games that are poorly optimized actually wrote a big article about UWP and why it sucks but also in his critique gave some salient and positive reasons why it could be great. If only Microsoft would tweak it to be more open. The idea that things like DSFix would not work because its 3rd party nature is due to the way UWP works and that hinders the overall potential of the platform. It wouldn't be much of a stretch for Microsoft to unlock those things and make it more end-user friendly and any of the arguments of opening it up allowing piracy to run rampant is a strawman argument.
I support Microsoft, to a point. Even though I have had more positive experiences that negative (and those negatives have been headaches named Vista, ME, NT and XP... I hated XP right up until SP2), I still am critical of MS for some of their practices. Overall Windows has been a decent operating system, with faults and I stand by it because I've used it for so long and had apparently good luck. I'm also the type to be more optimistic and hopeful rather than pessimistic and cynical.
Meh. They've got a chance to reverse their stance and do right, and they did it with XB1 so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and chance to do the right thing with UWP and make it a better more open platform. Otherwise I'll continue to support other platforms and not buy software through them.
Simply put, just because I support Windows as an OS does not mean I blindly support Microsoft and everything they do.