Quantum Break's Live-Action Episodes Require an Internet Connection on PC

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Quantum Break's Live-Action Episodes Require an Internet Connection on PC

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1291/1291107.gif
The live-action episodes that follow each act of Quantum Break aren't included on the game disc or initial download.

This probably requires a little bit of an explanation, so let's get you up to speed. Each act of Quantum Break is followed by a live-action "TV show" episode that, apparently, plays out differently depending on your in-game choices. The end result is that the TV show apparently has some 40 or so permutations, meaning it takes up an absolute ton of hard drive/disc space. Remedy's solution? Stream the episodes to the player's Xbox One or PC.

"I can't give you an exact size, but it is big, so we wanted to create this high quality game experience and use all the disc space to maximize the visual effects qualities of the animations and all that stuff. So for us, it was kind of like a natural choice," narrative designer, Greg Louden, told Game Informer. "Also, our desire to really make it change... I think if we only had one show, it probably would have fit, but we didn't want to do that. We wanted to do this active experience where you negotiate the story and change it, so this was the only real solution to our problem. When we figured out how big the data was, we had to backpedal and think of some good solutions and this made sense."

That honestly sounds less than ideal, most of the gamers I know are more worried about their monthly bandwidth restrictions than they are about running out of space on their Xbone hard drives. This also effectively makes the game online only, which is still an issue for many. Those of you with unstable connections can download the videos in full, assuming you're playing the Xbox One version. Windows 10 users are stuck streaming the footage, apparently because the PC episodes offer resolutions up to 4k. Ironically, Remedy and Microsoft aren't offering full downloads on the platform where hard drive space is cheap and plentiful. Go figure.

According to this tweet [https://twitter.com/remedygames/status/672071374354046976] from Remedy, there's 4 episodes running approximately 22 minutes each, plus or minus some footage depending on your in-game choices. It should be noted that the episodes aren't essential to the game's story, but are being pushed heavily as part of the full Quantum Break package.

Quantum Break is set for launch on Xbox One and Windows 10 on April 5th.

Source: <url=http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/03/01/quantum-break-live-action-scenes-streamed.aspx?utm_content=bufferfbc64&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer>Game Informer

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I've only ever had unlimited internet, so this doesn't sound too bad to me.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
yes and those videos will still be online at the official servers in 5 years... or 10.

well microsoft seem determined to snatch the crown of the most hated business for this year.

so far microsoft have not actually done anything in the last 6 months that i view as positive

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Assuming an average resolution of 1920x1080, a 22 min ep could run somewhere around 600-700mb. If the game is capped at the Xbone's res, then maybe 450-500mb each. Very rough guess by the way, who knows what kind of compression they'd be using.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
If the episodes aren't "essential" to the story, and they are unwilling to allow PC users to store the videos on their local drives, then we're left with one, very easy solution.

Before beginning the video stream, prompt the user to choose between "Watch" and "Skip".

That way, if someone doesn't have an internet connection, has a data cap to consider, or is just uninterested in watching, they can just avoid the stream all together.

Will they do that? I dunno. But for my fellow gamers with the above concerns, I sincerely hope they do.

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
The Wooster said:
That honestly sounds less than ideal, most of the gamers I know are more worried about their monthly bandwidth restrictions than they are about running out of space on their Xbone hard drives. This also effectively makes the game online only, which is still an issue for many. Those of you with unstable connections can download the videos in full, assuming you're playing the Xbox One version. Windows 10 users are stuck streaming the footage, apparently because the PC episodes offer resolutions up to 4k. Ironically, Remedy and Microsoft aren't offering full downloads on the platform where hard drive space is cheap and plentiful. Go figure.
Maybe it's just me, but it's definitely the other way around where I'm more concerned about juggling what is and isn't installed on the Xbox One.

Would have thought anyone on a current gen console would be on a decent connection these days. Espeically considering the amount of updates that need to be done before even playing most games these days!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Live action in a video game. Ew.

Always online. Ew.

"Non-essential" story that is also "part of the complete package". Ewwww!

I am now even less interested in this game than I already was, which is quite an achievement on their part.

PS. That choice of gif. Grey, I salute you.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
All im hearing here is that disc-based distribution is now actively harming videogames.

008Zulu said:
Assuming an average resolution of 1920x1080, a 22 min ep could run somewhere around 600-700mb. If the game is capped at the Xbone's res, then maybe 450-500mb each. Very rough guess by the way, who knows what kind of compression they'd be using.
you are assuming horrible quality. A low quality 1920x1080 video for 22 minutes will take 3.9 GB. a Medium quality one will be double that. A good quality (not lossless, but lossless video streaming isnt viable) will be 18,8 GB.

And yes, Youtube/Netflix streams in horrible quality too. Your video size estimates are more for SD resolutions, not HD resolutions.

CGAdam

Nov 20, 2009
So long as the game itself can be played offline, I really don't care about some bonus live action stuff.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Strazdas said:
Your video size estimates are more for SD resolutions, not HD resolutions.
That's right. I was thinking more along the lines of the people who would be concerned about their limited bandwidth, and would most likely opt for SD over HD.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
And aside from Microsoft's Tv Tv Tv Tv Tv Tv push, why is it that these scenes couldn't just have been done as cut scenes using the in-game engine?

They touted this as a game that would integrate with a television series, well, this is just a game with lengthy cut scenes between chapters now, isn't it? So in the spirit of fairness, where is the station for the hate train for this? I remember a rather popular train riding around back when MGS4 launched, I'd like to get on that train.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Microsoft needs to stop hiring contortionists. It seems like they only time they open their mouth is when they're about to put their foot in it.

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
Zhukov said:
Ahem, what about Wing Commander? Or most of Westwood's RTS output? Do those suck as well or are you just incapable of not being negative about something?

Always online. Ew.
The game itself is not always on-line.

It's like the Halo webseries you don't need to watch it to understand the game's story. The game is about the heroes, the show is about the villains, also its free either way so I don't see why there's a problem.

I am now even less interested in this game than I already was, which is quite an achievement on their part.
Why? Oh yeah right, you're that one guy who thinks that a slow-motion mechanic equals an instant "I win" button, except of course in F.E.A.R., the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time trilogy and the recently released SUPERHOT, a game which is literally impossible to play without the slow-mo mechanic.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The Jovian said:
Zhukov said:
Ahem, what about Wing Commander?
Ew.

Or most of Westwood's RTS output?
Ew.

Look, I realise those are probably treasured childhood memories or something, but all I remember was amateur acting and terrible script that were unimpressive even to ten-year-old me.

Anyway, not liking live action in a video game is just a personal gripe of mine. If you're into it then more power to you.

Do those suck as well or are you just incapable of not being negative about something?
I'm positive about stuff. Sometimes. I just refuse to be impressed by mediocrity.

Call me back when Overwatch and the new Mirror's Edge come out. Hopefully I'll be positive about those. That or crying into a bucket of ice cream.

Always online. Ew.
Oh? So just a big chunk of it's story is always online?

Still not impressed.

Can't see why they don't give the option to download for people who have the space.

It's like the Halo webseries you don't need to watch it to understand the game's story. The game is about the heroes, the show is about the villains, also its free either way so I don't see why there's a problem.
Funny, a common criticism of the latest Halo game was that it seemed to assume that all the players had watched and read all the extended universe crap, constantly throwing in characters and events without adequate introduction or explanation.

Why? Oh yeah right, you're that one guy who thinks that a slow-motion mechanic equals an instant "I win" button, except of course in F.E.A.R., the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time trilogy and the recently released SUPERHOT, a game which is literally impossible to play without the slow-mo mechanic.
I recall the post you are referring to. I was not being entirely serious.

That said, yeah, slow motion often is an "I WIN" button. FEAR is a good example of this. My prevailing memory of the combat in that game is hitting the I WIN button and calmly putting three shots into the head of each suddenly-slow-moving enemy. Solved everything, no challenge, no effort. Prince of Persia's combat I barely remember, just a vague haze of constantly doing that one flip-over-his-head-and-slash-him-in-the-back move that worked on everything.

Haven't played Superhot, therefore cannot comment. Looks kinda neat. Could have used better animation.

JLF

Mar 2, 2010
Well that's an innovative DRM. Sadly it still means f**** over your paying customers. People are really going to enjoy having ingame cinematics that stutter or have a box that says "lost connection to server...".

Well it's your money...

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
The Jovian said:
Making the episodes stream only though sucks though especially since they are downloadable on X-Box One. People on PC should have the option to either stream it or download the episode.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Microsoft want to make themselves more popular to PC gamers by bringing big name games to Windows but at the same time they can't afford to alienate their Xbox customers.

I've already seen posts where people are upset at Microsoft for giving up their exclusives to the PC. This is likely a concession toward them "see guys. The Xbox One is still the place where you will get more options on how you play."