Quarter To Three gives Lollipop Chainsaw a 2.0 out of 10

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
targren said:
I personally loathe the series (the first one was pretty good other than the godawful voice acting).
But the terrible voice acting was the best part!

On topic - how the hell do I not know about an over the top action game styled similarly to Bayonetta/DMC and what's the quickest way to give the people who made it my money?

targren

May 13, 2009
Pearwood said:
targren said:
I personally loathe the series (the first one was pretty good other than the godawful voice acting).
But the terrible voice acting was the best part!

On topic - how the hell do I not know about an over the top action game styled similarly to Bayonetta/DMC and what's the quickest way to give the people who made it my money?
I would agree with you, but I can't even THINK about

I should have been the one to fill your dark heart with LIIIIIGHT!

without cringing. ;)

Step 1: Go to youtube and search for Lollipop Chainsaw
Step 2: Watch some of the results
Step 3: After you finish laughing, go anywhere to buy games and buy it.

Step 3 is optional, especially if your the sort of soulless snooty snit like this three-quarters guy. ;)

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
I read some of this guys other reviews, he's very cynical, but not in a Yahtzee kind of way. Instead of doing it the way Yahtzee does it, nit-picking every single problem, he just kind of says that he hates it and here's why, every time. He also doesn't seem to have any other view than his own, and in his review of Act of Valor, actually kind of offended me the way he talked about it.

Honestly, people are entitled to their opinions, but reading some of his reviews, it proves something I already knew, that there are people out there who need to seriously find a new career, because they can't write reviews for shit. Seriously, that's the most offensive part of his reviews. They're all different in length and unfocused, and don't cover the core.

If you had read his review, would it tell you anything of what to expect? No, he just says it Buffy meets Bayonetta (which honestly, I saw neither of in this game, maybe a bit of Bay, but not really)

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I have never even heard of Quarter to Three and therefore do not care about his/her/their opinion.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, Quarter to Three isn't exactly the kind of resource you'd check out if you value things like thorough journalism. Others have said it before, but Tom Chick mistakes niggling over one or two ancillary aspects of a game and complaining that Game A isn't like Game B for a form of professional reviewing. It's more a case of a bored genre elitist who probably has some obscure release enshrined somewhere and who wastes his time comparing everything to it.

LC definitely comes from the same range as Bayonetta or DMC. You don't play these games for the story or the themes being discussed or how mature and thoughtful the whole thing is - you play them to get S ranks everywhere. The only way I could mentally survive Bayonetta and the latest DMC was by tuning the visual aspects of both games out completely and entirely focusing on the mechanics. As soon as you approach these games as being anything else than pure gameplay, the unbridled silliness will either delight you or annoy the fuck out of you. I was in the Option B mindset, personally. As soon as I noticed Bayonetta's ridiculous swagger and paid attention to it, a little of my own desire to keep playing wilted away.

Big, flashy and dumb combofests are great summer games, sure, but the genre doesn't give us that many alternatives. It's either that or Kratos' EPIC SCOWL OF UNWAVERING RAGE. Not that I could imagine a Score Attack game based on a sensibly-designed character and graced with sedate visual effects.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kyle Donovan said:
Wow. And I thought Gamespot's Simpson Arcade game review was horrible. The only reason they gave it this was because of the fact that the reviewer didn't like the humor, and didn't think it was as good as Bayonetta. I seriously don't think a short 4 paragraphed 'review' can be called a review without talking about the major gameplay, or the sound. Worst of all, it took the game's Metacritic score from 82, to 69. 13 points because someone thought the humor wasn't funny. What a joke. Especially since all the other reviews are 60 or above. I'm playing through it and at least a 70. 2 out of 10? That's something I would expect from Amy. Well, anyways, what do you have to say on this issue?

Link - http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2012/06/12/what-do-you-get-when-you-cross-buffy-and-bayonetta-not-lollipop-chainsaw/
My first thought was "Who the hell is Quarter to Three and why do I care?"

My second was "well, at least this demonstrates an inherent flaw in the whole aggregate score system."

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
targren said:
I should have been the one to fill your dark heart with LIIIIIGHT!
Not

Or

?

Ahh I love those lines :p

Fun thing I heard - apparently Capcom games aren't translated, they're cast in English and given Japanese subtitles... dunno if it's true but if so god knows what that says about their quality control.

targren

May 13, 2009
Pearwood said:
Fun thing I heard - apparently Capcom games aren't translated, they're cast in English and given Japanese subtitles... dunno if it's true but if so god knows what that says about their quality control.
It really doesn't matter. Three words:

"Master of Unlocking." *facepalm*

dexxyoto

Mar 24, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Game looks like tits on a ferret fun.
You know, that actually does not sound that fun...
I'm kinda reassured and or confused at the fact I'm not the only one who thought that *Grin*

Also captcha today : "she loves him" Part of my brain is humming beatles and part of it is thinking " Does she really?"

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
From my first impressions of the game I labeled it as having suffered from "Snakes on a Plane" syndrome, that being a fairly average ip with it's entire claim to fame being the big industry name behind it and the fairly silly premise and even sillier tittle. That being said, I'll wait until I've actually played and beaten the game first before I decide on whether or not I agree with its reviews.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Hey guys, I just wanted to input as to why this game is getting crappy scores:

There is NOTHING WRONG with this game, technical wise. However, it really is just NMH with combos. Strictly speaking it does nothing new for the genre. So, considering the objective opinion reviewers must have, it's understandable that they have to give it a low score.

If you're a fan of this genre, you'll love the game. You really do have to be a Grasshopper fan to even GET games like this. Let alone enjoy the hell out of them.

TL;DR: This is like checking the New Times for an insight on whether or not Pod People is a quality movie.

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
How can he say the bosses are dull?
I've found this game has the most interesting boss fights ever. The first one's just amazing. Fighting against a zombie punk who attacks you by shouting expletives? Best boss ever

I love all parts of this game:
The wacky humour
The quirky characters
The absolute ridiculousness of it all
The rainbows, glitter, it's just great.

And honestly, what can be better than chopping off zombie's heads to the tune of 'Hey Mickey'?

inzesky

Oct 28, 2009
Oh look, people throwing a temper tantrum because someone gave a game they like a bad score. Ugh, seriously why does it bloody matter that someone, somewhere, somehow doesn't like something you like? Nevermind, Internet.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
If you want to play a shallow fighting game that combines bad humor, cheesecake, and gore, Splatterhouse would be delighted to get a little of your attention. It knows what it is and it delivers. But the gravest insult in Lollipop Chainsaw is that it?s such an obvious and vapid attempt at Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Bayonetta. You, ma?am, are no Bayonetta.
It seems that he let his personal taste get in the way of a balanced review. Now, there is a place for personal taste, but it shouldn't make a review completely negative.

Lollipop Chainsaw looks worth a try.

Fudj

May 1, 2008
BreakfastMan said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Game looks like tits on a ferret fun.
You know, that actually does not sound that fun...

OT: So some random guy on some crappy little site did a crappy little review that said he did not like a game. So what? Do people really get this worked up over another's opinion?

Being an owner of Ferret's , they are very fun......the addition of tits would likely add little to it.

On topic though, looks like a fun game to pick up at some point, some "reviwers" just have gripes against games and decide to vent it out there, i tend to check more reputable sources :)

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
random_bars said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Sneezeguard said:
It?s obviously attempting Kane and Lynch 2′s brilliant and subversive YouTube aesthetic without really having a reason to do it"
My god, he really wrote that? Unironically? In the words of the internet:

"Dafuq did i just read?"
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you've never played Kane and Lynch 2, you've just heard that it had a negative reception and have gone along with the idea that every single aspect of it is universally terrible.

I might be completely wrong, in which case I'm sorry. Just for the record, I've never played it either, but I looked up some footage of it on Youtube and the camera thing he talked about does indeed look pretty interesting, whether or not the rest of the game is any good.

Point being, what exactly do you think is particularly bad about K&L2's camera trick? Actually, for the record, have you played it or not?
He...didn't...even...mention...the...camera...in...his...post...

I've beaten the game, and while it was 'okay,' much of it was just boring as shit. Repetitive, unbalanced, etc.