Queen Elizabeth II, Longest Reigning Monarch of England/UK, Dies

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I think some circles of the left leaning or anti monarchist internet aren't really showing their better side right now. On twitter or other sites I see a lot of overly smug, dismissive or even celebratory sentiment going on right now, which I find completely uncalled for.

So you're against the monarchy. That's fine. But can't people consider that a subset of republicans being snooty or even gloating about the death of a pretty widely liked woman is not good PR for the republican cause? I don't have any strong opinions for or against the monarchy, but right now I'd far more gladly identify with people mourning about someone they never met to perhaps a silly degree, then I would with people being obnoxiously contrarian about it.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
So you're against the monarchy. That's fine. But can't people consider that a subset of republicans being snooty or even gloating about the death of a pretty widely liked woman is not good PR for the republican cause?
Why on earth would we need good PR? This country's never going to get rid of the monarchy! They've put the self-scanning machines at Sainsbury's in mourning colours! There's floral tributes outside the supermarket!

This country has a disease it doesn't want to be cured of and all the PR in the world isn't going to change that! This outlandish and keeping-up-with-the-Joneses display of grief is a symptom of something being extremely wrong. It's funny because it's so ludicrous! If people weren't so batshit about it, it wouldn't be funny at all, it'd just be a thing that happened that would make no actual difference to any of us. It's not her dying that's funny, it's the absurdity of the reaction.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I think some circles of the left leaning or anti monarchist internet aren't really showing their better side right now. On twitter or other sites I see a lot of overly smug, dismissive or even celebratory sentiment going on right now, which I find completely uncalled for.
Well, yes, it's as if some people think the monarchy were something more than a figurehead. You're a few hundred years too late for that. For queen and country might have held some weight for Liz MKI, but it's just been another bunch of rich powerful fuckers the past couple of hundred. Republican France didn't exactly conduct itself well, nor did the US. Might as well blame Sylvester Stallone for the shit show in the Middle East. Doesn't mean I like the monarchy, but if you're celebrating the queens death, you celebrate absolutely nothing of significance.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Oh no, does this mean all those portraits of the queen that are hung in small Country Women's Association community halls will be changed to portraits of Charles?

Reactions: Thaluikhain

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I will say this. I fucking hate this: https://halfstaff.org/

The United States didn't lose a leader. We don't recognize royalty. We literally rebelled against the British and the idea of absolute monarchy. We rejected the Homo Sapien Royalus.
And here we have an actual government ordered mourning for a British royal. We're Americans, as far as we're concerned an elderly grandmother passed away, and that's a little sad. But national mourning of a superior human, someone born in a blood class above "common" people? Yeah fuck that!

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells

So you're against the monarchy. That's fine. But can't people consider that a subset of republicans being snooty or even gloating about the death of a pretty widely liked woman is not good PR for the republican cause? I don't have any strong opinions for or against the monarchy, but right now I'd far more gladly identify with people mourning about someone they never met to perhaps a silly degree, then I would with people being obnoxiously contrarian about it.
I think its funny when people who talk about how they don't care about an issue tell people who do care why they should be less passionate.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells

The United States didn't lose a leader. We don't recognize royalty. We literally rebelled against the British and the idea of absolute monarchy. We rejected the Homo Sapien Royalus.
And here we have an actual government ordered mourning for a British royal. We're Americans, as far as we're concerned an elderly grandmother passed away, and that's a little sad. But national mourning of a superior human, someone born in a blood class above "common" people? Yeah fuck that!
Eh. I don't care for it but I don't read that far into it. What it is is the American government engaging in low cost diplomatic actions that will be seen as goodwill at the British. She isn't just an elderly grandmother to her own people and its about sending them a sympathetic message

Which isn't to say I think one should be sent over her but I think its different from bowing to royalty or something

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
What it is is the American government engaging in low cost diplomatic actions that will be seen as goodwill at the British
It's pretty much the standard everywhere for when the sitting Head of State or Head of Government of a friendly nation dies... and ol' Liz Two was the Head of State of a several US allies not just the UK.

Reactions: Gordon_4

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

The United States didn't lose a leader.
No, but one of your oldest and most steadfast allies did. It’s a very basic - to say nothing of cheap and easy - piece of diplomatic protocol. Nothing more and nothing less. If the French President or New Zealand Prime Minister died, the exact same procedure would occur.

Last edited: