Question about Anitube and Digibro in particular

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Okay, these past few days, I've been annoyed again by the presence of Digibro rants in my Youtube feed so I want to ask a few questions about him and the Anitube sphere.

-What is the current state of Anitube?
-How is Digibro perceived at least on this site?
-Any opinions on the drama that has occurred in this sphere?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Digibro has done some good vids in the past but I have to wonder about pretty much all his stuff after he had some really stupid takes on a debate with Destiny.

The short of it is that he pretty much argued against the existence of his own type of analysis channel by saying that arguments don't matter in a debate, it doesn't matter what your point is, if the audience already agrees with the point, its a good point.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Worgen said:
Digibro has done some good vids in the past but I have to wonder about pretty much all his stuff after he had some really stupid takes on a debate with Destiny.

The short of it is that he pretty much argued against the existence of his own type of analysis channel by saying that arguments don't matter in a debate, it doesn't matter what your point is, if the audience already agrees with the point, its a good point.
Wow, that is incredibly stupid and really shows that Digi is a bit of a hypocrite. Frankly, i'm happy that I haven't seen his stuff in a while

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I think Digibro is good at making captivating videos. He can talk about whatever and make it sound interesting.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
The fuck is Antitube?

Haven't Watched any of digibro's stuff sense a few years after he stopped the pony related content, but I remember all of his anime stuff being pretty on point and insightful.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Shadowstar38 said:
The fuck is Antitube?

Haven't Watched any of digibro's stuff sense a few years after he stopped the pony related content, but I remember all of his anime stuff being pretty on point and insightful.
Anime YouTube

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I haven't watched any of Digibro's stuff in a long time. I found him through his blog https://myswordisunbelievablydull.wordpress.com/ a long time ago and I thought his articles were pretty good on both video games and anime. Saw a couple of his videos later too, thought they were alright, but his longer series could have done with some more editing. Some points were made more often than I felt was strictly necessary.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Might as well comment on how I feel about Digibro and what little I've seen of the Anitube/Anime Youtube sphere.

I find Digibro at his current stage to be pretentious. His comments towards other anitubers and his analysis seem shallow and underdeveloped. I also find he is getting a massive ego and that it's distracting.

That said, I find a vast chunk of anime youtubers to be comedy focused, which isn't my thing but i won't comment further, or are shitty at analysis in the academic sense. Granted, I'm no big name or hotshot but I think that the Anitube sphere needs a bit of a revamp as well as a confrontation of the elitist elements.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I used to watch some of Glass Reflection's reviews on Youtube. I don't think he ever did much longform stuff like Digibro, but I thought he was alright. Ever heard of him?

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
Izanagi009 said:
Worgen said:
Wow, that is incredibly stupid and really shows that Digi is a bit of a hypocrite. Frankly, i'm happy that I haven't seen his stuff in a while
Unfortunately, whether he was intending it or not, he's actually not all that far off from the truth there.

People treat debates the same way they treat professional sports. They go in to watch their team win, and even if their team loses it's not like they'll go "Oh, well, I guess the other team truly is the better team, I'm going to start supporting them now!" No, they'll stick to their team still.

In Destiny's debate with Laura Southern, he absolutely left her with no leg to stand on. He had a refutation for every single claim she made. Yet, Laura's fans were still in the comments saying that she totally destroyed him, and that he didn't make any arguments, and that he had no arguments, and that he made no arguments, and that he made no arguments, and that he didn't make any arguments... It didn't matter to them that he did effectively won the debate, they don't care. They're Team Southern, and they'll stay Team Southern no matter what.

People watching debates barely even pay attention to arguments anyways, that's why they come out of these things saying the debater they're against "made no arguments" even when they very clearly did. They'd rather focus on irrelevant things. In Destiny's debate with Sargon, there were people wondering why anyone would think Destiny was winning the debate since he was getting frustrated. Well, no shit he's getting frustrated, the whole debate's been nothing but:

Sargon: I believe A.
Destiny: Okay, so you believe A?
Sargon: No I didn't say that.

Repeat that ad nauseam, and of course Destiny's going to get frustrated. The debate isn't going anywhere, Sargon isn't letting it because he didn't go into that debate with any measure of good faith. And he did that because he knows he can get away with it, he knows his fans will just see Destiny getting frustrated with him and declare that Sargon's obviously winning because he's the calm one.

This is what debate culture is. It's not based on good faith at all, or making arguments, or refutations. It's all just about the spectacle, how cool you look, nothing else matters. If you take debate courses in high school or university, they don't even really teach you the importance of research or making sound logical arguments, instead it's about learning tactics to intimidate your opponents and dazzling the judges with fancy words and coolness. There's no room either to admit that you don't know something; debate culture demands that you have all the answers right here, right now, and if you don't, that means you got DeStRoYeD, and your opponent's fans will proceed to upload dozens of compilation videos about how DeStRoYeD you got. This isn't productive, this isn't discourse, it's just show business basically.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
TakeyB0y2 said:
Izanagi009 said:
Worgen said:
Unfortunately, whether he was intending it or not, he's actually not all that far off from the truth there.

People treat debates the same way they treat professional sports. They go in to watch their team win, and even if their team loses it's not like they'll go "Oh, well, I guess the other team truly is the better team, I'm going to start supporting them now!" No, they'll stick to their team still.

In Destiny's debate with Laura Southern, he absolutely left her with no leg to stand on. He had a refutation for every single claim she made. Yet, Laura's fans were still in the comments saying that she totally destroyed him, and that he didn't make any arguments, and that he had no arguments, and that he made no arguments, and that he made no arguments, and that he didn't make any arguments... It didn't matter to them that he did effectively won the debate, they don't care. They're Team Southern, and they'll stay Team Southern no matter what.

People watching debates barely even pay attention to arguments anyways, that's why they come out of these things saying the debater they're against "made no arguments" even when they very clearly did. They'd rather focus on irrelevant things. In Destiny's debate with Sargon, there were people wondering why anyone would think Destiny was winning the debate since he was getting frustrated. Well, no shit he's getting frustrated, the whole debate's been nothing but:

Repeat that ad nauseam, and of course Destiny's going to get frustrated. The debate isn't going anywhere, Sargon isn't letting it because he didn't go into that debate with any measure of good faith. And he did that because he knows he can get away with it, he knows his fans will just see Destiny getting frustrated with him and declare that Sargon's obviously winning because he's the calm one.

This is what debate culture is. It's not based on good faith at all, or making arguments, or refutations. It's all just about the spectacle, how cool you look, nothing else matters. If you take debate courses in high school or university, they don't even really teach you the importance of research or making sound logical arguments, instead it's about learning tactics to intimidate your opponents and dazzling the judges with fancy words and coolness. There's no room either to admit that you don't know something; debate culture demands that you have all the answers right here, right now, and if you don't, that means you got DeStRoYeD, and your opponent's fans will proceed to upload dozens of compilation videos about how DeStRoYeD you got. This isn't productive, this isn't discourse, it's just show business basically.
Yeah, the KPI for whether you won an argument is not whether you had good points. It whether the opponent was 'uncivil'. Thus, any frustration is an automatic loss for Destiny. The best way to frustrate logic people is being illogical and saying your definitely right.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
TakeyB0y2 said:
Izanagi009 said:
Worgen said:

No, that would be the usual outcome rule so you want to debate based on the 40/40/20 rule, that 40% agree with you, 40% agree with your opponent and 20% can be convinced. Digibro's point wasn't that some people will never agree with you, it was that you can make a good argument without making a good point, just by pointing out something is right. Essentially hes saying you can use common sense to win a debate, which is astronomically stupid. That you can just say something that is right without backing it up at all and just say you win.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
to comment on the debate thing, I admit i was abnormal given how my teacher taught me proper debate technique with constructing and rebuttal arguments

I find it odd that people who do debate for a living don't follow the principles set by the ancient Greeks or the Roman orators. Regardless, I also got a thing from a friend about digibro which i will quote

"Dude... Srsly... Stop watching Digi. He is basically a raving drunk begging for attention and patreon dollars. His voice and opinion is completely worthless, and honestly the only good thing left about him is as entertainment... He's basically a whiny *****, again with no credibility to any of his claims aside from "I watch anime." It's the anitube formula, sure, but goddamn he is probably the most concentrated form of the toxic side of that."

Granted, very opinionated but i'm starting to agree