Question about Ratchet And Clank games

harikaerif

Oct 31, 2014
So i'm planning to play ratchet and clank series. One of my friends has a PSN account which has all "Future" games and he let me use it. So the question is should i play the "Future" games then trilogy OR should i wait a month (Because i just bought a few games and i can only buy trilogy a month later) then first play the trilogy then future games ?

Sorry for my English :)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'd say go for the HD Trilogy first, that's when the series was really at its peak. R&C1 hasn't aged well by gameplay standards, mainly because it lacks a strafe button, but R&C2 and 3 are the best in the series.

harikaerif

Oct 31, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
I'd say go for the HD Trilogy first, that's when the series was really at its peak. R&C1 hasn't aged well by gameplay standards, mainly because it lacks a strafe button, but R&C2 and 3 are the best in the series.
Gameplay is not a problem. Can i understand the story if i play Future games ?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
harikaerif said:
Casual Shinji said:
The "Future" games is where it starts to have an actual overarching story (to the detriment of the franchise in my opinion), the PS2 games were simply standard 'villain of the week'. So the most you'd miss is a couple of inside jokes.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
harikaerif said:
Casual Shinji said:
The original trilogy is very episodic and they only reference each other in relatively minor ways.

The Future trilogy, however, is a more continuous story spread over multiple games. So yes, you will understand the story of the Future games if you don't play the originals, but you'll be missing out on a lot of references to the previous games.

harikaerif

Oct 31, 2014
ChupathingyX said:
harikaerif said:
Casual Shinji said:
The original trilogy is very episodic and they only reference each other in relatively minor ways.

The Future trilogy, however, is a more continuous story spread over multiple games. So yes, you will understand the story of the Future games if you don't play the originals, but you'll be missing out on a lot of references to the previous games.
Thanks for the reply. As i said i WILL play the old games but right now i already have future games.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
I suggest you wait, but that might just be because I grew up with the original games. If nothing else, I imagine it'd be more satisfying to see the game mechanics slowly evolve rather than suddenly jump back from the end to the start.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
I'd play the first ratchet and clank game because it's how Ratchet and Clank met, that isn't important to the story but it's interesting. I'd play the second because it's a big improvement over the first and a lot of fun. I also like the 3rd but if you're limited in time I'd skip it and come back to it later if you feel like more, same with deadlocked.

As others have said the older games had a villain of the week feel to them. The stories didn't matter much.

The future games have an overarching story but it's not like you'll be completely lost if you start game 3 right now. Although certain moments won't mean much without the previous 2 games.

Also for the life of me I can't remember what the first future game contributed to the story arc.

I'd do the earlier games first also so you don't have to downgrade between gens if you play the PS3 ones first.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
harikaerif said:
Casual Shinji said:
Yes you can but you get more out of it if you have played the orginal trilogy first as a number of characters show up in the future series that were in the originals first and I think you would enjoy them more if you see them in the originals first.

Personaly I think the games have held up really well, the HD release is one of the better re-raleses I have played. R&C 2 and 3 continue to be some of my favorite games and I really enjoyed the future series as well.

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
I would wait and play the originals first. They have made a lot of progress in gameplay, and going from Future to the first game, it will almost feel unplayable.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Hm... Out of curiosity, what was everyones opinion on Deadlocked?

Captcha: gold medal

o_O

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:

o_O
I liked it.
I always expected a lot of people to hate it however, seems like a large departure from the normal formula and since they didn't try it again I'd assume they either didn't get the best reception or couldn't find a way to force a sequel to that with out contrivance.
Either way it was fun, might just boot it back up again. I was replaying all of the R&C games a couple months ago and stopped after going commando. Cant' remember why, maybe it's because DS2 came out.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I would say wait because 3 is the best in the series.
Arnoxthe1 said:

o_O
Is that the 4th one? It's like an arena gameshow thing and it has co-op? Was called different things in other places iirc.

That one was fun. Worse than 3 and 1, better than 2, co-op was great.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I played the Future series first and enjoyed it immensely, but have since had trouble getting into the HD remake so I'd take these guy's advice and wait.

Gustavos

Jul 19, 2009
I should mention that the classic trilogy (and the numerous side games) do not have a continuing story between their plots. And that the Future series does not directly tie back to those older games at all. Only acknowledging them in fun throwback jokes and dialogue. In my opinion, the first game of the Trilogy and Future series are the weakest entries of each franchise. Don't feel too bad if you want to jump ahead to the better sequels (Going Commando and Crack in Time, respectively) where the gameplay gets better and the weapons more varied and useful. I grew up with the PS2 series and I think they still hold up today with charming characters and worlds. The Future series takes itself much more seriously. I think they both have something to offer, and there's no way to choose wrong here.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
I feel like the Future games assume a familiarity with the side characters. I'd say go for the original trilogy first. They hold up amazingly well and it'll make the story in the Future games much more engaging since you'll be more invested in the characters.