Question: Anyone else find Star Trek online complex?

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Actually that's something I don't think was mentioned in this thread. Don't hesitate to train the bridge officers with abilities that is more useful for your build or even the mission at hand

If you find that your shields are getting bashed up, retrain the Science officer with shield buffs. High yield torpedoes not working? Check out the various tactical maneuvers and retrain

Your senior staff is,just as important to level up properly as your Captain is and they should have thier skills moved around just as much as you should be changing your ground kits

Most everything else has already been mentioned. Except since your an admiral level you should also be able to summon a small fleet of your class type in space battles, make sure you do that when you're in over your head

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I just started playing on the ps4 release. My answer? Not really. There's some learning curve though. Right now I just kinda play it, and do what comes natural. I do okay until right around before I get my next ship.

The most complex, confusing thing I know of is trying to do the dilithium/zen trade thing. I have no idea how it works.

I'm sure it can be harder if you want to maximize everything to the fullest, but I can't be arsed to, but I do ok.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
dilitium/zen is basically an auction house where players can buy dilitium for Zen and vice versa. Already existing offers are listed as amounts available for certain rates and you can use them or make a new offer.

The rate fluctuates and i would assume it does this even more on the PS4 server where a lot of people don't yet know, where to get dillitium and what they need it for.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
Rebel_Raven said:
I just started playing on the ps4 release. My answer? Not really. There's some learning curve though. Right now I just kinda play it, and do what comes natural. I do okay until right around before I get my next ship.

The most complex, confusing thing I know of is trying to do the dilithium/zen trade thing. I have no idea how it works.

I'm sure it can be harder if you want to maximize everything to the fullest, but I can't be arsed to, but I do ok.
Satinavian said:
dilitium/zen is basically an auction house where players can buy dilitium for Zen and vice versa. Already existing offers are listed as amounts available for certain rates and you can use them or make a new offer.

The rate fluctuates and i would assume it does this even more on the PS4 server where a lot of people don't yet know, where to get dilithium and what they need it for.
Yeah, you open your inventory and go to assets (if I recall) and in there is a refine dilithium button (as ore needs to be refined to be used in STO) and under that is the Dilithium to ZEN exchange button. One thing, my GOD is the exchange rate godawful.

this is the one thing about STO: it is SOOO expensive in ZEN cost per ?.

For example, Warframe it's usually about 500 plat for ?10 which can get you frames and stuff, but for WF the grind isn't too bad... I never had an issue with it.

Also, WF will often give you a "gift of the lotus" discount of 25,50 and 75% off. SO recently I got like 2K of plat to spend for ?10 thats a LOT of platinum for the cost (example if you buy a WF which comes with the stat boosters preinstalled? depending on which frame you want? bout 200/300 plat.)

(Plus PC gamer if you buy the mag or the download version seems to have a LOT of "freebies" from them which is neat. Got a starter pack from them. Couple weapons with enhanced stats, extra 100 plat...)

compared to 2500 Zen for ?16 on the STO site, and that'll just get you a single ship (some of the newer sexier ones are 3K to 3500) that's VERY pricey, especially as they don't do discounts very often. Just seems a little more expensive to play.

But it's one of the few ST ones. And a decent one at that despite the "shooty, shooty" feel.... so they have me. Darn. :)

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
First, i am not sure how the interface is on the PS4 version, so i can't explain that.

Exchange rates : It is around 1:400 in the PC version, but there were times when it was as low as 1:100. It always changes with game versions as new opportunities to earn dil arise and new ways to spend it, so i don't think it will get down there again anytime soon.

Generally there are promotions, where zen is cheaper to buy for real money. Everytime that happens, it gets also cheaper to buy with dill. Zen becomes more expensive in dil, when new ships come around or there is a key discount or a discount on most ships.

But yes, ships are expensive in real money.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Most of the basics have already been covered, but here's some extra tidbits for good measure;

Try to do your "dailies" whenever possible. Stuff like Dilithium Mining, Tour the Galaxy, Red Alerts, STF queues, Admiralty, DOFFing, etc. They award lots of extra resources for relatively little effort.

If you have decent gear and can't be arsed to grind and convert dilithium or pay real money for top of the line ships, a cheap alternative exists in the form of Mirror Universe vessels. They're Tier 5 vessels that have minor stat differences from their Prime counterparts (along with stylish gold highlights). They're offered as "consolation prizes" from lockboxes and drop far more frequently than the more coveted Tier 6 prizes. Because of this, they're easy to find and obtain on the Exchange, typically selling for a few million credits apiece. The downside is that they can't be upgraded to Tier 5-U, but it's still possible to wrangle respectable levels of performance out of them if you have the right gear and abilities.

When you finish the story missions you may find yourself growing weary of the same old dailies and queues. I'd recommend checking out the Foundry. There are quite a few quality missions to be had there, some of which focus more on diplomacy and puzzle solving than the more combat-oriented approach of the Cryptic ones.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
id recommend you get a few Neutronium Alloy consoles on the exchange .. damage resistance against everything

as someone else mentioned choose a single energy weapon type and stick to it, add a pile of tactical consoles that buff that damage type.

also train your bridge officers in healing hull and shield damage. having engineering team 1 and 2 slotted for instance means you get one every 15 seconds