Question for those who played Fallout 3

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Okay, as much as I love Fallout 3 (as well as New Vegas and Fallout 4) there's something that's been really bothering me when I look at certain people who played the game.

Why do I keep hearing several Fallout 3 players saying that the Capital Wasteland Super Mutants are green?

I know it sounds like a rather trivial thing to be bothered about, but I played through Fallout 3 (plus DLC) several dozen times for years I never saw any green Super Mutants, the closest I could find were maybe some Swampfolks from Point Lookout that wore green and I think some of them might have had some slight green hues on their skin, but no green Super Mutants.

Every Super Mutant I saw in Fallout 3 was yellow, and several NPC's have described Super Mutants in the Capital Wasteland as being yellow.

So why do I see things like artists on Deviantart coloring Capital Wasteland Super Mutants as green or players who talk online about Fallout 3 Super Mutants being green ? I know Super Mutants were green in the other games, maybe that has something to do with it?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
They're Green-Yellow, otherwise known as 'Sick Green.' Why are they colored green in fan art? Because out of the three possibilities (Sick Green, Green, or Yellow) its the least attrocious color available.

I mean seriously, the super mutants in FO3 look atrocious.

If any part of my body turned that color, I'd cut it off before seeing the doctor. And probably gouge my eyes out, just to be sure I never saw it again.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
A lot of fans of the older Fallout games disliked the changes to the Super Mutants in Fallout 3. If these people are doing anything on DeviantArt, they're probably going to try to force the Super Mutants from Vault 87 to conform to what they think the Super Mutant should look like, and that's a more green color.

That said, the Vault 87 Super Mutants had tints of green despite mostly looking yellow. How noticeable this is depends on the lighting:

It's probably a lot easier to capture the greenish tint overall with just green than try to use the Fallout 3 lighting that makes them look completely yellow at times.

CeeBod

Sep 4, 2012
Don't forget that the atrocious colour filter used in Fallout 3 made EVERYTHING look green! It was pretty much the first thing that most people modded out, but pre-mods that probably influenced people's perceptions.

Plus of course as we all know Orcs are green, and Super Mutants are just Space Orcs with a crappier backstory! :eek:p

Cap'nPipsqueak

Jul 2, 2016
AccursedTheory said:
They're Green-Yellow, otherwise known as 'Sick Green.' Why are they colored green in fan art? Because out of the three possibilities (Sick Green, Green, or Yellow) its the least attrocious color available.

That particular type of Super Mutant is twenty feet tall. Think about that.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Cap said:
AccursedTheory said:

That particular type of Super Mutant is twenty feet tall. Think about that.
I am aware. It was simply the best image I could find in 5 seconds.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
As in most cases, the simplest answer is the correct one: people refer to them as green because they are green. Mods and DLC may change that; one run through vanilla Fallout 3 was enough to make me realize I didn't need to see any more of it, so I don't know; but a more likely culprit is your monitor.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Misterian said:
Yellow-ish. I would've said orange, but some of that could've been the sun. You're right, though. Not green. New Vegas gives us green mutants for contrast (AND blue Nightkin), even brought back Marcus. The thing of it is that because it's not the Master's strain of mutants, they're not the same in appearance, and Bethesda illustrated that. Looks to me, judging from those pics, like the mutants have some veins that are throwing people off.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I reckon they look yellowish as piss - literally. I used to think I had some form of rare colour-blindness because everyone kept calling them green and correcting me when I said they were yellow. The West Coast ones from F1/F2/NV are green though.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Not sure what you're talking about, my mutants are <color=blue>blue:

https://i.imgur.com/cdD2ahB.png

I really miss the Nightkin. Super bestest mutants ever.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Headdrivehardscrew said:
Not sure what you're talking about, my mutants are <color=blue>blue:

https://i.imgur.com/cdD2ahB.png

I really miss the Nightkin. Super bestest mutants ever.
Nightkin are cool. However, they are the Master's second-gen mutant stock, more refined after he figured out his art.

Actually, it makes one wonder how Marcus came to be so collected when most other mutants - including Nightkin - tend to be "PREPARE TO DIE, HUMAAAN!!!". So few of them have anything approaching his manner, and I have to wonder why.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah, I always noticed the walking pile of baby poop yellow-browny colour more then the green bits, even with FO3's filter. I think the NPCs mention them being green though

I'm guessing it may have been a confused or frazzled artist trying to render a green skinner humanoid without it looking cartoony, especially since the visual filter was going to make the green even more glaring, and kind of landed on that.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
unofficially bethesda artists obviously went with a different base colour. a more sickly yellow/green

officially it seems different strains of the FEV virus give different colour skin when they mutate humans

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
FalloutJack said:
Actually, it makes one wonder how Marcus came to be so collected when most other mutants - including Nightkin - tend to be "PREPARE TO DIE, HUMAAAN!!!". So few of them have anything approaching his manner, and I have to wonder why.
When it comes to the Nightkin, they developed an addiction to the Stealth Boys that they used in the Master's army, an addiction that led to schizophrenia-like symptoms (I can't remember if it was actual schizophrenia or if the term was used merely as a descriptor). You learn about that from Dr. Henry when he sends you to research some local Nightstalkers in search of a cure for the Nightkin's condition.

As for super mutants in general (Nightkin included) their varying levels of intellect was an uncontrollable result of the mutation process. The vast majority of people exposed to FEV turned into lunkhead mutants, while a rare few retained their human smarts and composure.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
The one in Raven Rock is yellow, it's the lighting though of most of D.C. that turns pretty much everything green. New Vegas went for a yellow color scheme and I haven't played Fallout 4 yet due to financial reasons so I'm not sure what color they are in the Commonwealth.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Ten Foot Bunny said:
FalloutJack said:
When it comes to the Nightkin, they developed an addiction to the Stealth Boys that they used in the Master's army, an addiction that led to schizophrenia-like symptoms (I can't remember if it was actual schizophrenia or if the term was used merely as a descriptor). You learn about that from Dr. Henry when he sends you to research some local Nightstalkers in search of a cure for the Nightkin's condition.

As for super mutants in general (Nightkin included) their varying levels of intellect was an uncontrollable result of the mutation process. The vast majority of people exposed to FEV turned into lunkhead mutants, while a rare few retained their human smarts and composure.
This I am aware of, insofar as the addiction. And it is true, it varied for them with intelligence. Tabitha was not exactly a big brain, for instance. However, the Master considered them superior, so there must've been something in that.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
FalloutJack said:
This I am aware of, insofar as the addiction. And it is true, it varied for them with intelligence. Tabitha was not exactly a big brain, for instance. However, the Master considered them superior, so there must've been something in that.
Can you even, for one second, imagine Tabitha and Lily in the Master's elite forces...? :D Some apples fell pretty far from the tree. As for why they were made superior, I have no clue. The only reason I know the stuff I posted earlier is because I'm playing New Vegas right now and am about to finish it for the first time ever.