Question of the Day, April 19, 2010

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
While this is a discussion that can be simply put to rest with the phrase, "fun vs. technical thinking," I feel I should put my two cents in.

Everyone can go on about how games like Fallout 3 are fun regardless of their environmental presentation. Sure, Fallout 3 is fun, but I can't stand playing it for longer than an hour, because of how bored I get of the environment (and the game in general). "Oh look--it's a barren, dystopian wasteland. Now we're in a dank, claustrophobic hallway/sewer." There may have been a few areas that had more pizazz than the former, but that's all it offers. And that's just the main game; not the DLC. Part of the reason why I find these apocalyptic genres dull and bland.

Someone mentioned Gears of War, and while it does have less to offer in terms of scenery, at least Gears of War 2 did take you to more, non-gray locales, like a forest and worm intestines.

Now, on the other end of this spectrum of discussion, we have games like Ratchet and Clank, Dante's Inferno, God of War and World of Warcraft offer scenic variations, so you don't get the feeling you're just roaming the same, bland environment from start to finish. And because of this, the games themselves stick with you longer after having played them.

The environment is as much an essential component to a game as it's gameplay, and every other media in general, in my opinion. It's the life of the party; it's the personality that keeps you interested.

You may disagree, and that's your opinion. I've said what I wanted to say, and that's all I care about.

CoffeeScamp

Sep 22, 2009
Prefer distinctive environments - Morrowind and Oblivion come to mind as having some of the best - but it's not going to spoil a game if the environment is a little bland.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
My favorite are the maps in FEAR2's campaign.

If all the maps are samey in a game, its boring and bland; you see th esame pattern over and over, and its gets old very fast.

Andy Todd

Apr 4, 2010
I like environments that are not mazes, which is probably why I don't like most fps games. I prefer open architect that I can explore. Invisible walls, unclimbable hills and the like just make me hate a lot of games I think i would otherwise enjoy. As far as the graphics painted onto everything, it is nice if it pretty, and I do have a few favorites, like Nagrand in WoW with the open fields and floating waterfalls. But then again, I was very happy playing UO, where the graphics were terrible in comparison to what is out today, just because of the open world set and lack of loading screens.

MorteSphere

Jul 8, 2009
One of the things I loved about Mass Effect is how the environments were grand and visually appealing.

Layz92

May 4, 2009
KimberlyGoreHound said:
Layz92 said:
I enjoy interesting places (probably going to get insulted for this bit) like WoW for example, it has some boring zones I'll grant you but there are some great places like Ten Thousand Needles, Zangar Marsh, Silvermoon and Netherstorm. They were interesting and also pretty in many cases. Nagrand is a personal favourite of mine. I like the open hilly fields with the floating waterfalls, I also play a tauren so go figure... Zones make a place for me in many cases.
Absogoddamnlutely. Though I didn't really enjoy Thousand Needles, I loved flying over it, looking at the pillars sticking up from the ground. Netherstorm felt very difinitive - the chaotic scenery gave an excellent impression of 'this is up to what those 69 levels before this was leading.' I have to agree entirely on Nagrand. I stayed in that place as long as I possibly could, because it was just so pleasant to view. You, sir have good taste.
Why thank you it is nice to be complemented occasionally on my tastes. As for Thousand Needles I meant interesting in a visual way as you said, with all the mesas and so on in the landscape and being able to climb on top of them and looking out in some cases. I'll agree it was a pretty bad place for questing and leveling though.

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
Play GTA IV>>never remember which island each mission takes place on>>get lost all the time.
Play Half Life 2>>be in distinct environments for pretty much the whole game>>remember everything that happens in the game and where.

Ringwraith

Absolutely Useless
Jan 15, 2009
I don't care what an area's colour scheme or even raw graphical quality is, as long as the environments gel together and are really quite memorable it doesn't matter.
Fallout 3's places, though using the same brown/grey/greenish-tinge colours, all fitted together nicely and looked exactly how you'd imagine them too.
Even Gears of War, with its swathes of brown worked well, at least in my mind, as the settings were really nice, even the underground segments (probably the pools of glowy imulsion that make me remember them).
Though even if an environment isn't very nice, not the end of the world, unless it's just unnecessarily annoying.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Yes, if the game is great but the environments are mehhh i can still enjoy it but, great environments make it so much better.

Rhino of Steel

Sep 29, 2008
I am generally willing to overlook recycled environments but they can wear on you. Mass Effect suffers from this on the side missions as does Fallout 3 with the subway lines.Both of those games also offer very distinctive and interesting environments as well though so it balances out.

WoW was mentioned earlier and I completely agree. The zones in WoW are practically characters in their own right, often built up in the player community as stories about them are shared.

The Assassin's Creed series is full of great environments too. Any time I have to take a moment to just appreciate the view is a good sign.

The Lizard of Odd

Jun 23, 2009
I definitely think the environment and level design has to be GOOD...as in very well designed. Bad level design and really horrible environments can easily take me out of a good gaming experience back into the realm of annoyed reality...
But environments that are super rich and detailed aren't necessary. Crisis LOOKS cool, but that's about it. The gameplay and story didn't match with the graphics IMO. L4D uses old blocky textures and has very little interaction throughout the levels...but excellent design, lighting and color use makes the environments feel more real.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Oh yes.

A huge part of why I thought PoP 2008 superior to the Sand of Time Trilogy.
PoP 2008's combat says: Let's take this outside.

No matter how purrty it was and how colorful and amazing the art was, combat and the game itself was one big Long Ass Quick Timeless Event.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Abedeus said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Oh yes.

No matter how purrty it was and how colorful and amazing the art was, combat and the game itself was one big Long Ass Quick Timeless Event.
I even liked the combat more...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Abedeus said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Oh yes.

That's it, I challenge you to fisticuffs.

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
Most definately, if the enviroment doesn't stand out and/or is repetive, then I get bored. This is why Fallout 3 is one my favourite games.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Abedeus said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Abedeus said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Oh yes.

That's it, I challenge you to fisticuffs.
INTERNET FIGHT!

Mezzo.

Nov 19, 2009
I vote absolutely, but I think this is a sometimes answer. I think that depending on how a game is portrayed, the environment is either absolutely necessary or not.

If you take a look at Psychonauts, each level takes place inside the mind of individuals, human or otherwise, around you. It is in these kinds of places that the environment along with the characters in it MUST have a personality of its own. They fit in with the personality of the person or creature that hosts it.

However, other games don't really rely on it, such as certain casual titles or something along those lines. In those cases it seems to be that the environment just sets the mood for what you're actually going to be doing, even if the environment is just a background with some music going on during the game.

nick n stuff

Nov 19, 2009
would i like a void of white no but i dont care how amazing the scenery is, it's not my interest. although uncahrted 1 had some good background scenery. I'll credit it but i don;t care to much.