Question of the Day, August 16, 2010

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
I would rather become vegetarian. I don't really eat meat now to begin with so it wouldn't be too drastic. I'd have to eat a lot of peanut butter though.

RandomWords

Aug 16, 2010
I still don't see how they are related...
Maybe very small bugs if you slipped them in my sandwich or something

Engarde

Jul 24, 2010
If I was sure that the connection existed, I would. Processed or whatever, not just picking the things from the garden....heheh. And also assuming I could do so without horrible adverse health effects.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Would I grovel for insects for sustenance like a disgusting animal to save the world? No the world can go die if it is a world where I have to eat bugs.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
I would eat bugs to survive, but to save the world? I'm afraid I don't care enough about our world, sorry.

And how are these two things related anyways?

niege

Aug 16, 2009
I have actually Eaten crickets,Bees,Ants and even a larva.
They are quite tasty but one whole year i dont think my body could stand just eating bugs

Badong

May 26, 2010
neonnightlite said:
Badong said:
Sure as hell, I would. Even if it doesn't help the Earth, I'd still eat more of these little critters.

In fact...

And no, those are not crabs...
Those are cra... Oh my God what the hell are those?!
Fried Tarantulas. It's a more juicy version of the fried cricket, which, for me, tastes like powerfully flavored Indonesian chicken

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
DaxStrife said:
I'm a vegetarian so I already have a low carbon foot-print. I'd eat bugs if I had to, but I don't think humanity can survive on insects because you'd have to eat a ton of them just to sustain one person, and growing/catching enough of the little things seems more trouble than raising farm animals or fish.
Could you please explain how being a vegetarian lowers your carbon foot print? My understanding is that harvesting, transporting and cultivating crops (especially with mass pesticide) isn't exactly carbon neutral...

Would I eat bugs? Sure, I probably do anyway. Though I wouldn't be scammed into thinking I'm doing the environment any favors without seeing some pretty clear numbers. I can see how they might product less methane than cows, but how do we cultivate and process them? Why is it going to be more efficient than, say, trout farms or poultry? How much sustenance would be provided per unit landmass/energy used would be provided and what other foods would need to be supplemented into my diet to maintain a healthy diet?

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
I am really girlly when it comes to killing bugs, let alone eating them.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Yes global warming is real. When you talk to (some) people about the effect humans and industrialization have on the environment, the only counter-argument I like better than the "but cow shit..." argument is the "but the volcanoes..." argument. No, we shouldn't eat bugs to lower methane and co2. There are a thousand other things we should do first before we resort to eating bugs.