Question of the Day, January 21, 2011

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Most of the time i try before i buy.. so yes to demos. As long as they arent broken and unstable.

KuwaSanjuro

Dec 22, 2010
I've been playing the PSP demo for Dissidia Final Fantasy for about 6 months, I may get the second one instead, even though I loved it.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I rarely play demos. The only demos I can remember actually downloading are Left 4 Dead 1/2, Dead Space 2, Resident Evil 5, and Mirror's Edge. All of those games I planned on buying except Mirror's Edge. If I'm ever very excited for a game, I'll download the demo because I want to get to it as quickly as possible. I know, that's completely stupid, but I just can't wait until February to play Bulletstorm! I have to get a taste.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I'll get them whenever I can, especially for PC games. I find it important to know whether my PC can run the game smoothly or not.

Totallyfolked

Mar 18, 2008
A demo is very important to me if I'm buying a PC game as it lets me know whether my rather old and creaky laptop will deign to play it as even if it meets the specs it occasionally takes umbridge with certain games.

On consoles, not so much of a worry

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Most recent demo I downloaded because I was wondering about it's quality and fun was the Apache helicopter game. Result: Surprisingly fun.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I never play demos, I don't think they are an accurate description of the game. I prefer other things, like reviews.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Demos to me personally have become less important since I started renting games but I love demos. There are quite a few games that I had little-no interest in but ended up buying after the demo: Just Cause 2.
In fact, when I first got my ps3, I didn't buy any games at all for a week, I just downloaded a ton of demos.

It can be the best (or worst) advertising there is for a game.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I only usually download demos for the PC, just to see whether the game will run smoothly enough on my slowly aging system.

I will download console demos every now and again, but after the Mirrors Edge demo, I never really trust them fully.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I rarely buy a game without reading reviews or getting a thumbs up from friends. So demos are fairly moot at that point.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Demos are great and it is sad that there aren't more out there. Saying that, it isn't much of a problem in this day and age, where the media coverage and online communities built around games will easily give you the insight you need when looking at a new title.

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
I only download demos when I am bored and need something new to play or when I am iffy on a game my friends have.

fender

Jul 17, 2009
I usually get it to decide on games I'm not sure about, or when I'm bored and looking back at games I missed the first time around.

dryg

Feb 8, 2009
Inc ban ;D
Usually pirate every new game, then buying the vast (good) majority

Bato

Oct 18, 2009
I like demos.
Because out of boredom I'll just go down the list of Demos on steam and download like 5.
I've actually bought a few games like this, they turn out to be fun and I get a game I otherwise wouldn't.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Erm, well... being a PC gamer mostly, the whole concept of a "demo" is rare now days, so I don't really care anymore. I miss them and really wish they would come back. Plus the whole thing with consoles getting demos for half or so of the game released while PC get barely any seems backwards to me...

DominicxD

Dec 28, 2009
I don't think the whole outrage with RAGE not having a demo is because people need demos. I think people are more suspicious because the version of the game which is most likely to be shody is not being released as a demo.