Question of the Day, January 24, 2011

ZomgSharkz

Aug 4, 2008
Guess I'd have to say Dreamcast since it's the only one I ever played. Sure the controller was crappy, but Fur Fighters = My Childhood.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Judging by my awesome Model 1 Sega Genesis and AWESOME model 2 Sega CD addon I'd say I'm a fan of AWESOME.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
DreamCast I still remember Jet Set Radio with fond memories

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
I loved my Genesis! Especially towards the end of its run with the Sega CD attachment and the 32x plugged-in, it was a Frankstein'd machine to be sure but oh it was so sweet! I had the original Gennie, too, with the headphone jack & volume slider on it (brilliant add-on, would be nice if newer consoles could do this.)

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Ah, the Mega Drive! My first console! With such classics lie Sonic, Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, i had to choose it over the others.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Megacherv said:
Hell yeah, can't beat some Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Hail, my brother!

S3+K, along with Phantasy Star IV, Comix Zone, and Vectorman made for a lot of fun childhood memories. Between the Dreamcast and the Genesis, it's a tough call, but so many memories of the Genesis (it was my first console I owned) give it the edge in my book.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Genesis because I have my history with that system. The barbershop I use to go to as a kid would have a Genesis and Playstation, and my mom's friend's son owns a Genesis. The only time I played a Dreamcast is at ToysRus when I played a demo of Sonic Adventure.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Ah the Dreamcast, I miss that console. Chu Chu Rocket and Space Channel 5 are my favorites, I don't know how much time I lost on those games, but it was totally worth it.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Never owned a Sega...My household went Atari, various Nintendos, Playstation. Then I moved on to mainly PC gaming.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Ah, the good old Dreamcast. The very first console that I bought myself back in 2000. Has to be my favorite of all the systems SEGA made.

The Genesis I really like also, but I never owned one.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Master System. It had two types of games (cartridge and card), the games were all affordable, and it comes with two games inside the system, itself. One, with the controller, a motorcycle racing game, and the other, with the gun, a version of DuckHunt WITHOUT the stupid dog laughing at you. I wish systems were all that kind and giving.

Hampulina

Dec 19, 2009
To this day the only sports game I've actually liked was on the Genesis.
The Elite Series 96 (Swedish National Hockey Cup).

Good times, good times.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Ah, The mega drive. It introduced me to Sonic the hedgehog 2 and Street fighter 2.

The good old times.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Where.
Is.
The.
GameGear?

That's the first one we had, and the only for a long time, and remains a firm favourite. A friend had a Genesis, which was alright - but certainly no SNES (granted, we have since bought some of those mini-genesis multi TV game things, which are fun).

Since got myself a Master System, and it's actually a pretty good console. Certainly craps all over the NES. Quality of games is maybe more questionable... but they did manage to squeeze stuff like Desert Strike onto it, and in most areas it's not far off my old Atari ST (a system with twice the bits, twice the Mhz, and god only knows how many more times the RAM and program storage) so it's not all horrid.
(reminds me, will have to dig it out of the garage, bring it into work and see if it still functions; someone else has brought in their NES and hooked it up to one of our big flatscreens... and it's fun to play, but the visuals are awful)
((NB: after hours and lunchbreak of course!))

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
SomethingAmazing said:
Master System: A meh console all around. It had plenty of wonderful gems every here and there, but ultimately it faded into obscurity in comparison to the vastly superior NES system.
I believe you may be confusing "popularity" (and, at that, popularity in certain markets*) and "number of titles" with "quality"...

My own belief is that if you get harsh with how you thresh things out, they have about the same number of truly good games. The big N's seal of quality never really seemed to be worth that much - if you roll through the ROM list on an emulation pack these days, there's an AWFUL lot of total crap. Sure, there's stuff like Mario, various arcade ports, Megaman, Castlevania, Kirby ... but they're standouts.

And in terms of actual processing capacity/graphical and audio abilities, I'm sorry... it comes off worse. It's about the bare minimum acceptable standard above truly basic stuff like the old 8-bit home computers (C64, Spectrum, BBC, earliest PCs, Coleco... maybe not MSX?) and the System-3, but it's not "good".

* SMS did a whole lot better in europe for some reason. Maybe our greater proportion of home computers distorting the market. Maybe later release of the Nintendo hardware and longer life of the VCS. Who knows... but, anecdotally the Euro-ized Famicom sat in my work office right now is genuinely only the second one I've ever seen in the plastic, and the first that I've seen running - yet there's been a number of 8-bit Segas knocking around.