Question of the Day, January 29, 2011

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, January 29, 2011

With the reveal of the Next-Generation Portable [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107321-Sony-Finally-Confirms-New-PSP], the new handheld race is upon us. Which side are you on?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Both, at some point.

At launch, neither.

I like Sony better as a company, though.

Heavy Rain NGP would be awesome. DO IT SONY!

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
3DS. Mainly because I might actually buy that one, and I'm unlikely to get sony's.

ahiddenfigure

Hunter of Monsters
Sep 14, 2009
The addition of a second analogue stick to the new PSP might actually make me get back into portable gaming, if only to play Monster Hunter Portable 3rd without having to do that terrible pincer-grip thing you need to do on current PSPs.

Got no interest in the 3DS. 3D is a headache-inducing gimmick, and no one I know owns a DS, compared to 3 with PSPs.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Easy enough. Sony NGP...

For starters, even after the hacker fiasco, I actually LIKE Sony. But the concept of their new console sounds far more interesting to me than buying another Nintendo handheld with their usual line-up of franchises.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Depends on what sony define as affordable really if they price it lower than the 3DS they have a winner.

xhannay

Jan 25, 2011
At launch, neither. After that it'll depend on what games come out and how badly I want them.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Considering that I despise 3D for the over-charging gimmick that it is, the 3DS has me intrigued. Mainly because there are no glasses involved.*

*(I wear glasses to see, so 3D glasses are pointless for me.)

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Neither, I haven't been intrested in playing handheld games since I was a kid playing Pokemon on my GB/GBA.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
I'll end up getting both at some point. I'm looking forward to the NGP more, it's specs are pretty exciting, I can't wait till the homebrewing / jailbreaking community get at it, it'll have Android within a month of release. The insinuation it has PS3s power is a little ludacris, but if they'd qualified that with "by ratio" I might just believe it, since it have to do a lot less processing with a smaller resolution and smaller games. 4 cores in a handheld before 2012 is at least very impressive, I was looking at 2011 as the dual core surge in handheld tech with whisperings of more. The 3DS has pulled out the MGS3 remake which is enough to make me pay attention at least. The Okami sequel is definitely a major point in it's favour.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
I do not plan to purchase either at launch. I was going to purchase the 3DS, but the region lock has delayed those plans. I still eventually plan on purchasing the 3DS (at least once the region lock is broken), beacuse there are certain games that I am interested in that are coming out for it and beacuse it is backwards compatible with DS(i) games.

I currently have no plans on purchasing the NGP, since the price and region lock status are currently unknown. Plus, none of the games demonstrated so far appeal to me and the lack of (physical) backwards compatibility makes it even less appealing.

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
I'm more likely to get the NGP than the 3DS. I'm still on the fence though, depends on the games they'll be releasing.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Both, but I'll be getting the NGP first because A) I'm more likely to be able to afford one at launch and B) I'm a secret Sony fanboy

But I'll still get a 3DS eventually most likely, same happened with the DS

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
3DS at launch, and Sony's thing later. I haven't been keeping up with the news, but will the NGP be able to play PSP games?

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
I'm probably (75% sure) going to get both. Although, with a custom-built desktop, a laptop for A levels, A new guitar and a piano to buy too, I don't know how my wallet will take the news... ¬_¬