Question of the Day, July 28, 2010

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
It's all about the stats.

If my character can't survive to the end of the story, then the story doesn't matter.

laol1999

Apr 15, 2010
power gamer for the win
im not sure why but being powerful in games makes me feel good

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
None of those, I'm a thief/hoarder. I want all the money and all the loot, and I'll take everything I want.

Loot > stats.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
I'm a thinker. That's why I wasn't allowed to play with, like,the only group in the city back home. I could McGuyver my way out of almost any trap, and it pissed off the DM.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Thinker. Even though I don't play to often, I always think of strategy's and how to go about ..Blah blah. You get it.

Nyrad01

Nov 25, 2009
I'm usually a DM, so I like to write Story based campaigns, but this means writting a campaign can take a while :/

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Now this question, I like.

I prefer to be an actor, but for any RP game I'm normally the DM, at least at the beginning.

B2kCyclops

Apr 28, 2010
I'm somewhere between the "actor" and the "thinker" type, but I miss one type of gamer(I used to be quite some time ago):
Powergamer, Slayer, Rulebender(-breaker) and every DM's favourite all in one...

THE ALLMIGHTY MUNCHKIN!

XD

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Actor. I always get right into the head of my character and stay there.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Instigator, hands down. It can be where the most fun lies and often starts some awesome little sidequests and create some hooks. :D

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I love deep stries, especilly if it involves political intrigue! That always makes for good times!

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
craddoke said:
I think it would be interesting to compare how a player first became involved with DnD with the type of player they are - my hypothesis is that (in general) if someone moves from fantasy literature to role-playing, they become storytellers or actors (maybe explorers); if they move from board/card/video games to PnP role-playing, they become power-gamers or slayers; if they are drafted into role-playing by friends, they become watchers or instigators.

It's not a complete theory - and exceptions would be rampant - but I suspect the tendencies would prove statistically significant.
Whether or not this is totally accurate, it fits exactly for my current situation. I got into roleplaying because a friend of mine had a Discworld based GURPS game, and I was excited to be involved in such a thing. I've been all about the story since. Meanwhile, I pulled my girlfriend into it, it she is about the biggest Instigator you'd see. Which is funny, because in the game of Paranoia we played, she survived and I died!

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I am my group's resident min-maxer, who probably knows more about the details of the other players character sheets than the other players do. In fact, two sessions back I was actually put in charge of making several characters "more awesome" because our DM was getting tired of our time honored "lie on the floor and bleed threateningly" offensive strategy (and it came to light that one player hadn't made up a new character sheet since 3rd level and had no idea what his stats really were).

In character I am very circumspect and cautious, except when it would be least convenient for everyone or when I get bored, and then I'm suicidally reckless and charge headlong into glorious battle. Oh yeah, I'm also the party paladin - I'm so awesome at my job that my deity personally appeared one time to congratulate me! And by "congratulate", I mean "cuss out at great length using a startling variety of slurs". Oh well, that just tells me that I haven't done enough to spread the good word of Bahamut, dragon god of justice! Asking hostile NPCs if they've heard the good word of Bahamut is kind of my spiel you see.

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
We have a term for power gamers in my group. It's "Get out of my house and never darken my door again." Sorry to say, but power gamers make the game less fun for everyone else.

Me I'm an explorer. I'll often ignore the GM's plot if possible to go find other things to see. That's gotten me in trouble more times than I can count, but it always leads somewhere interesting.

Oh and there's no option for Rules Lawyers because everyone knows Rules Lawyers should be burned at the stake.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I'm that guy who tries to break the game and get everyone of track by creating scenarios the DM isn't prepared for.

For example - trying to kidnap villagers, setting fire to random things, adopting a wild drake that attacked us as a pet.