Question of the Day, June 28, 2010

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
No more than movies or television have been already, the whole controlling the violence doesn't really make a difference, because the visuals have to be there to make it violent.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Alar said:
chstens said:
To a certain degree, to some people. But not anymore than movies.
Simply and well put, good sir!
People can spend several minutes, writing paragraph after paragraph and ultimately end up with the same conclusion.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I think for some people it can effect them a bit but for the vast majority...
NO.
It mostly depends on the type of person playing the game as well.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
You know, theres an incredibly racist point one could make here. Something about how a black female "rapper" is talking about "breeding violence."

But I'll just leave it at that.

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
Having written a couple college papers on the topic, and considering how much evidence I've read in journals about the issue, I do have to say...yes. In many cases, content in a video game can effect your way of thinking. If it's violent, you will tend to become more violent. If it is socially oriented, you may become a more social person.

It varies by content, person, and amount of exposure, but there is no doubt that video games are capable of affecting your mind.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I seriously doubt that they influence us. In GTA San Andreas i had fun going crazy, like in most sandbox games.
However, in real life, i wouldn't even thing about doing something. Even seeing real blood freaks me out! I hate violence in real life, for God's sake. Videogames and such may affect kids who are too young to understand correctly, but only those, who are really young and don't know much about life.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
cartoon violence doesn't prepare you for real violence.

It's the real violence that makes people less sensitive, because generally people can get used to anything.

Front Row

Jan 23, 2009
IF there is any effect ...

. . . i would be the greatest Mass-Murder of all time .

And i mean the greatest ... worse then Hitler , Aids and any single bullet in the World together.

Our society just need someone or something to blame when some kids go Postal in a school.
They dont see that their childhood + parents where totally crap.
As long as you tell youre kids whats wrong and whats right , all is fine.

Btw , i live in f***ing Germany , where EVERYTHING that contains blood , splatter , etc is forbidden. THATS a crime !

With the words of Sledge Hammer : "I love violence"

Cheers

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Just a little. Play Condemned. Tell me it doesn't influence you a little... [sub]towards the horribly unnerving side[/sub]

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
It is not a simple as just yes or no.

While i highly doubt videogames alone can be The Cause of violence, there is a very weak effect similar to that generated by watching a relation from ongoing war. The safety glass shield protecting the viewer from everything thats going on the screen flattens the actual perception.
It's just something we watch, that will be interrupted with commercials, at every moment we can switch it off, change to other channel and because of that the impact of the incident itself is much much smaller than if we would actually be there.

Both games and movies that show violence are of course different form the actual war, but in a way it is still the same effect of taming something, we would see as terrible when experienced in person. Sometimes, under very specific circumstances mind might just get used to the sight of blood or force abuse so much it will treat more closer to norm than it should. For such thing to happen however, there needs to be some kind of underlaying cause, be it the social environment the person is often exposed to, mental disorder or personal, repetitive experience.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
dee_dubs said:
I think in order for violent games to affect someone in the way many people seem to be implying, that person would have to already have something of an unstable personality, an inability to see where the dividing line between fantasy and reality lies, or a disconnect between themselves and the world around them. People have a tendency to assign blame to the visible, external factors (most recently to video games, although TV/Movies, RPGs and even music has taken the blame before) without paying any attention to the internal, personal problems which caused the issue in the first place.
Pretty much this. As I'm 20, I was growing up alongside the games industry - I remember comical violence in games such as Cannon Fodder, then GTA came along and my dad wouldn't even let me watch him. Not long after, Resident Evil 2 and 3 come along, and my dad was happy for me to play them. Go a bit further, GTA3 and the other PS2 GTA games come out, and I'm playing them on saturdays with my not-quite-step-brother who was about 2 years younger than me and if I'm not on that then I'll be killing things on Unreal Tournament.

How many people my age (or similar) have had the exact same experience, and how many are the psychotic loons that games are supposed to turn us into?

Games are no different to movies, certain types of music or certain books - In the wrong hands, they're dangerous. Games are a bit different in that they're interactive as opposed to the passive experience of a film or book, but it's still fictional at the end of the day.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Sort of. It just makes the violence seem less hard to inflict. But unless you're permantly hooked on GTA IV, you'll know when to draw the line.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
This is a difficult question. Video games certainly do not give a drastic effect NORMALLY. But then again, the certainly do not cause no difference NORMALLY. A fourth option should also be added that describes that video games can actually LESSEN violence because they can be a great way to relieve tension in the right circumstances.

There is no definite answer to this question, which is where most people misunderstand video games, including gamers.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I live in a country where the 5-o'clock news shows more gruesome acts of violence and human cruelty than I have ever seen in video games, so my opinion about video game violence is that it can not negatively influence a sane human being.
Video games are about pixels smashing into other pixels. If there are people out there that forget that and interpret video game violence as real violence and act upon it, those people need help.

Bacterial-Ash

Jun 22, 2010
There is no affect whatsoever.

On NORMAL people that is, the ones that are pre-exposed to insanity/violence will obviously become increasingly insane/violent when exposed to insane/violent stuff.
Its not rocket science, I dont start shooting up my school when I read about some dude shooting up his school, do I?

(.....DO I????)

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Bacterial-Ash said:
There is no affect whatsoever.

On NORMAL people that is, the ones that are pre-exposed to insanity/violence will obviously become increasingly insane/violent when exposed to insane/violent stuff.
Its not rocket science, I dont start shooting up my school when I read about some dude shooting up his school, do I?

(.....DO I????)
I hope you don't. that would be unpleasant.