Question of the Day, June 29, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, June 29, 2010

Take Two boss Brian Feder explained that "[BioShock 2] was ultimately successful, but not hugely successful." Do you agree? What would you have changed in BioShock 2?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I liked it! It was unnecessary yes, but was still good. Perhaps one where you play as a splicer who still has his mind, and they go to the surface? That would be great.

Calumon: Better than the Vending Machine idea from Yahtzee.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I dont think it was a dissapointment, it met all my expectations. I didnt go in there to see anything greater than Bioshock 1, and, I got an immersive experience, with, some great combat, and a somewhat intresting story

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
It was just ok. As a stand alone game, sure it was good, but as a successor to one of the most creatively impressive games of the last decade, it was pretty disappointing. I think of it along the lines as what Alien 3 was to Aliens.

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
I enjoyed it immensely when it comes to gameplay, but the story was ultimately very forgettable and nowhere near the greatness that was Bioshock 1.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Mmmmm. I kinda got spoilered for a certain connection between 2 chars, so I haven't tried the game yet. I wanna forget about connection first. But from someone that has played the 1st one to death, I do not know if a second was necessary.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Look... I loved BioShock and I really enjoyed BioShock 2, but when you compare it to the first one it was a huge disappointment. The story wasn't as good, the atmosphere lost a bit of its originality seeing as it was a sequel, and it decided to use too many ideas from the original instead of expanding on the universe as much as it could have.

But I will say that the ending was probably one of the best endings I've seen.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I loved it. I didn't have the same atmosphere as the first game but it bought in new things to keep me intriged. Bioshock 2 is new and improved, but for me personally, even now, it doesn't dilute my experience of the first game.

Rock on 2K!

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I liked it more than the first for its gameplay. I really didn't enjoy the first; I can appreciate the story and environment, but I didn't enjoy it at all. The second, however, I had a great time with.

*Raises flameshield*

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
Look... I loved BioShock and I really enjoyed BioShock 2, but when you compare it to the first one it was a huge disappointment. The story wasn't as good, the atmosphere lost a bit of its originality seeing as it was a sequel, and it decided to use too many ideas from the original instead of expanding on the universe as much as it could have.

But I will say that the ending was probably one of the best endings I've seen.
Can't put it better than that.

I really enjoyed BS2, but it just wasn't the same as BS1.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Why is it automatically a disappointment if it wasn't as good as the first one? Nothing is as good as that first time you experience something. It was a great game on it's own merits.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Since I consider Bioshock a shallow game, I have not voted to keep the poll unbiased, however, in retrospective Bioshock 2 is inferior to the original.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
More options please.

For example, I haven't played it, so I can't say it was or was not a disappointment.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I voted yes because of the constant crashes I had throughout the game. Besides that, I probably enjoyed it about as much as the first...

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
At this point, any sequel is a disappointment (both in video games and at the cinema). How many new IPs die in the cradle to keep "guaranteed" money-makers on life-support?

magicman4443

Mar 25, 2010
On it's own, I thought it was a great game, and I loved playing. The problem comes when you try and compare it to the original. It just doesn't really compare in the end. It was an all around good game, and definitely not a disappointment, but If I take it on a scale from 1 to Bioshock, it ends up lower than a scale of 1 to 10.