Question of the Day, March 16, 2010

Ringwraith

Absolutely Useless
Jan 15, 2009
I can't get this till the end of next week. *sniff*
Anyway, going for Chikorita, mostly as I like to be different. I originally used Totodile (and did a mostly single-pokemon runthrough) in Silver, though this was before I understood that this sort of tactic is usually a very bad idea. Used Chikorita in Crystal, and I never did finish it...

Frequen-Z said:
I always go for Grass, makes those first couple of gyms an absolute cakewalk.
You see, these were the only games that averted this usual trend. The grass starter has the hardest time out of all them in Gold/Silver/Crystal as there are no gyms actually weak to it, and the first two will wipe the floor with you. This was a complete reversal of the Red/Blue as the fire starter gets 2.5 (as ice is 90% of the time paired with water) gyms weak to it (as opposed to 1), water gets none (while it used to beat 3) along with grass (which also used to beat 3 of them).
Might also be the fact that they avoided using any types that were already in Kanto (only Dark has yet to get a gym in any game).

/end boring-specifics-I-know-off-the-top-of-my-head-and-really-shouldn't-as-it's-been-years

ajb924

Jun 3, 2009
I thought Cyndaquil at first, but I just remembered. My first ever Pokemon game was Silver. My first Pokemon was Totodile. I'm gonna have to go for nostalgia here.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Solely picked because Cyndaquil has the best name... it sounds like some kind of medicine... that will KILL YOU.

Totdile sounds like a cute pet and Chikorita sounds like... I dunno. A cute banana?

I never liked plant types anyway.

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Frequen-Z said:
Chikorita. I always go for Grass, makes those first couple of gyms an absolute cakewalk.
But the first gym in this one is flying...
Really? Damn, I am behind on the times. Was it Flying in the original Pokemon Silver?

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
Cyndaquill because he is a fire type. The only other fire types I get in that game are Houndoom, Ho-oh, or my Octillary which I always teach Flame thrower for some confusing, bemusing, and amusing variety. Getting a fire type early just makes my job easier. However I like the other starters as well. It's just harder to get fire type during the game.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
I picked Cyndaquil in the original Gold/Silver because it's cute. I had no idea what Gyms there were, and I did fine. My reasoning still stands.

*hugs Cyndaquil* Aaah! Fire!

Haunted Serenity

Jul 18, 2009
Cyndaquil. Never failed me in Gold. Totadile a close second though. bloody useful in the early stages when the only water you can catch is magikarp. Magikarp uses fail. It is ineffective. Switch to a pokemon which can do something?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Frequen-Z said:
Eric the Orange said:
Frequen-Z said:
Chikorita. I always go for Grass, makes those first couple of gyms an absolute cakewalk.
But the first gym in this one is flying...
Really? Damn, I am behind on the times. Was it Flying in the original Pokemon Silver?
I think so, and the second one is bug, which may also be bad for grass, but I'm not sure about that one.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
Frequen-Z said:
first gym: flying. second gym: bug. good luck with that.

I chose cyndaquill because i have a lvl 100 empoleon and a lvl 70 something swampert. between those three the elite four should be a cakewalk.

edit: damn, ninjaed.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
I really really really wish I could trade between the original red and blue versions and the new Heart Gold and Soul Silver versions. I don't want to lose all of my pokemon.

That said, if I get one of the new versions, I'll go for Chikorita, because there isn't a grass-type legendary, but there are fire and water (or ice, if you wanna be specific) type legendaries.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Chikorita was my choice. Water pokemon are a dime a dozen and by comparison there are surprisingly fewer grass types in the game. Also once you make it passed Sudowoodo you can get Growlithe, which is way stronger stats-wise than Typhlosion when evolved into an Arcanine, that and I have HeartGold so I can just use my Ho-oh or Entei.

10 years. 10 years since Gold and Silver came out and I still remember all that. Heck, I didnt even play Ruby/Sapphire and only played Pearl like 2 months ago. And yet I still remember that game from back when I was 13.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Of the three, Totodile is my favourite so I guess I'd choose him. But there is little chance I will ever play this game despite the fact that I do want to.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
As much as I loved gold and silver, I think it had some of the weakest starters in the franchise. Progressing a Squirtle to a Blastoise or a Charmander to a Charizard felt epic and powerful, but progressing a Cyndaquil to a Typhlosion just felt like you had a somewhat larger flaming badger than you started with.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
CYNDAQUIL! Yay, I love that little flamey echinda/porcupine thing. D'awww, isn't he kyoot?

DaxStrife said:
Am I reading that right? "Cyndaquil?" Cyanide and NyQuil?
...I can't tell if that's sad or awesome.
Uh, I think they were going for more of a mixed up "cinder" and "quill" sort of name. Just my opinion, if they managed to get there from poisons and antihistamines, then... wow. That would be awesome.

ThatOneJewYouNo

Sep 22, 2009
I chose Totodile simply because I know he's the best. He may have some trouble getting out of the starting gate, but they've majorly fixed him up so that he's sprinting all the way to the metaphorical finish line. He now gets Water Gun, one of 3 water moves he learns, at level SIX. Then add on Bite and Ice Fang, and you have one of the best physical starters, and you get these moves before Whitney. Which is awesome.
Cyndiquil would've been my next choice, and Chikorita is a joke. Really. He's a staller and is not suited to be a lead.