Question of the Day, March 2, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, March 2, 2010

According to a recent Nielsen survey, gamers are less likely to buy books and periodicals than non-gamers. Is that true for you?

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Oh, I love books. If ever you are somewhere without electricity, a book is there to be read.
I love books... don't really care for magazines and newspapers though :|
*Goes back to reading Northern Lights by Philip Pullman*

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I don't read books much, but I read magazines all the time.

Like The Escapist Magazine, Official Xbox Magazine US (completely unbiased, actually, and they even *gasp* PLAY OTHER CONSOLES), and Game Informer.

And TIME, but the liberal bias has killed it for me. Not that conservative bias is any better.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
I buy 3-4 books a month usually. I have some books from last year I haven't even touched. Besides Steam sales, last year I bought...one or two games.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I have the internet, why would I want a magazine with out of date information that I have to pay for?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I read and buy loads of books, I recently bought a book by Jacqueline Simpson and Terry Pratchett about the various myths, legends and folklore that he used and borrowed from in writing his Discworld series. And last week I bought a book on the Python programming language (Python For Dummies) to help in my university elective in Computer Programming, because quite frankly the teaching resources at my university for that particular module are shit.

My point is, I read a lot, and I've been gaming since I was about six (that said, I've been reading since at least the age of two, my Nan taught me when I was little). So I'd say that the statistics are pretty crap. No offence.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I have 2 magazine subscriptions (1 games, 1 film) and also read the paper online in the mornings before I start work.

WhoaItsBrett

Jan 22, 2010
I almost never buy books, I just go to my local Library to satisfy my reading needs.
Mostly due to the fact that I only read books once, then just set them down somewhere, never to be picked up again.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Getting a new bookshelf next week, it's 3m wide by two and a half metres tall and it's already half full. It hasn't even freaking arrived yet.

Too many books, one day I'll be killed by a toppling bookshelf.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
And I'd read more if it wasn't for that pesky college getting in the way of my weekend downtime with essays and reading assignments, and yes I know that's reading too. But not he enjoyable kind!

Jan 23, 2009
I always have a book I'm reading, usually two. It's pure escapism, just like video-games, but moreso, since there's no immersion breaking mechanics to reading... well maybe turning the page.

I also read the new frequently, and journal articles, but it's part of being a politics student... =/

keybird

Jun 1, 2009
I buy books quite frequently but the only time I read a magazine was during my doctor's visits

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Occasionally

I used to be an extremely avid reader, but I just don't have the time any more. I do still read a lot, but it's generally in an online format where things are easier to get into and out of.. and the price point is much lower. I do miss settling in with an actual novel from time to time, though, and so I still make time for that when I feel the urge.