Question of the Day, May 12, 2010

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I do wonder why the available options were chosen.

No Aion? No FFXI? No Champions Online? No DAoC? No Warhammer Online? No Age of Conan? No Guild Wars?

OT: I'm certainly no MMO fan, but I do love me some Guild Wars. Bring on the sequel!

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
MaxChaos said:
I'm addicted to the prospect of The Old Republic.
Hell yeah! May the force be with you, my friend.

Right now, though, I've played some WOW. I'm just waiting and hoping for the day The Old Republic comes out and is so awesome that no one can play any MMO except for itself.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Abedeus said:
oppp7 said:
Abedeus said:
oppp7 said:
WHY DOES EVERYONE ALWAYS FORGET GUILDWARS?!

Seriously, it's like the 2nd biggest MMO.
You are wrong is several ways.

Not MMO.

Not the 2nd biggest, anything.

Not even developers call it an MMO.

Captain_Maku said:
Why does everyone miss out Ragnarok Online? :l

Seriously; more people play RO than WoW if you include all the private servers.
I can't wait for RO2 to come over to Europe :D
Yep, RO is underrated. I love it, but I'm not addicted to any game. I play RO sometimes (private servers), Aion (Public Test Server - official + all skills working + increased drops and exp = ftw) and Guild Wars. I couldn't get past level 10 in WoW.

I also enjoy Diablo 2, Battlefield BC 2 and similar games.

Oh, and RO 2 sucks, I'm talking about the graphics. They are ugly compared to RO.
It's an online game that is largely multiplayer and you level up and build a character. I consider it an MMO, even if the developers don't want to admit it.

And I was only considering MMOs you have to pay for(either initially or subscription), not that Runescape free stuff.
Just because you call Bill a dog, it doesn't make him so. Bill is a bear and will eat your face if you try to pet him.

Like someone said, it's an online game with a nice-looking lobby system, quest/mission hubs and places of trading (towns and outposts).

Can you see or group with other people outside the towns? Can you see monsters outside of the gates? Can you contact with players who just left a town or outpost in ANY way except for guild/alliance/whisper channels? Can you trade with them outside of towns? Make two separate teams? PvP with them whenever you want?

Not an MMO. Diablo 2 also isn't an MMO.
I think your definition of MMORPG is being too exclusive. Just because you don't have tons of people running around outside outposts doesn't mean multiplayer isn't a large portion of it. Hell, one of the main thing Guild Wars has going for it is the PvP system. Not having an open world doesn't automatically make something not an MMORPG.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Nemu said:
oppp7 said:

Sure, right after....a lot of others.

As of 2009, WoW wasn't even the biggest, Maple Story was (and likely still is) with 100+ million players. =P
I wasn't counting free MMOs.
TheTaco007 said:
oppp7 said:

Exactly!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
oppp7 said:
Abedeus said:
oppp7 said:
Abedeus said:
oppp7 said:

You are wrong is several ways.

Not MMO.

Not the 2nd biggest, anything.

Not even developers call it an MMO.

Captain_Maku said:

Yep, RO is underrated. I love it, but I'm not addicted to any game. I play RO sometimes (private servers), Aion (Public Test Server - official + all skills working + increased drops and exp = ftw) and Guild Wars. I couldn't get past level 10 in WoW.

I also enjoy Diablo 2, Battlefield BC 2 and similar games.

Oh, and RO 2 sucks, I'm talking about the graphics. They are ugly compared to RO.
It's an online game that is largely multiplayer and you level up and build a character. I consider it an MMO, even if the developers don't want to admit it.

And I was only considering MMOs you have to pay for(either initially or subscription), not that Runescape free stuff.
Just because you call Bill a dog, it doesn't make him so. Bill is a bear and will eat your face if you try to pet him.

Like someone said, it's an online game with a nice-looking lobby system, quest/mission hubs and places of trading (towns and outposts).

Can you see or group with other people outside the towns? Can you see monsters outside of the gates? Can you contact with players who just left a town or outpost in ANY way except for guild/alliance/whisper channels? Can you trade with them outside of towns? Make two separate teams? PvP with them whenever you want?

Not an MMO. Diablo 2 also isn't an MMO.
I think your definition of MMORPG is being too exclusive. Just because you don't have tons of people running around outside outposts doesn't mean multiplayer isn't a large portion of it. Hell, one of the main thing Guild Wars has going for it is the PvP system. Not having an open world doesn't automatically make something not an MMORPG.
Yeees it does. It's not MASSIVE Multiplayer game. About 100 people per larger city, 8-12 in PvE (rarely 16), 8-24 people in PvP tops... Not massive, sorry. Neverwinter Nights with 128 max player capacity is more massive than this.

It's an ONLINE cooperative RPG. Because it's not massive enough to be an MMO.

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
I used to be hooked on Guild Wars and I still hop in and out of it occasionally. I'm currently wetting my pants with excitement at the prospect of Guild Wars 2

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Other - none, thankfully. That would put an even bigger hole in my wallet. :/
Fallen Earth did look pretty awesome, but tried it and hated the controls. Might try FF14 when it comes out, or that Fallout MMO if it happens.

captainwolfos

Feb 14, 2009
Abedeus said:
Captain_Maku said:

Meh, the graphics in RO kinda remind me of Fiesta, but overall I can't really say I disagree.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
oppp7 said:

This , to the maximum . I mean what the fuck dude? Guild Wars is not "Other" material.

Ponch

Mar 31, 2010
Champions. I used to play City of Heroes, but then it got boring. Same story with WoW and Guild Wars.

Damn, I get around!

hellsdinner

Apr 4, 2010
wickedpt said:
LotrO player here.

Never played any other MMO. Only in it because its Middle-Earth
Ofcourse,its a fun game if you liked the books (count me in)
But its more of PvE
and i liked the PvP from games like WAR or WoW.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Neither, at the moment.

I threw myself back into the sweet embrace of WoW addiction about a week ago, but then they banned my account because Blizzard believes I cheated them out of 15 bucks somehow. Oh well, no big deal.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
silasbufu said:
oppp7 said:

This , to the maximum . I mean what the fuck dude? Guild Wars is not "Other" material.
Sure it is. Few people play it nowadays, compared to the past. They haven't said a word about "another million bought!!", even after 3-4 discounts, like $15 per trilogy. Plus it's been a while since they released content. Meaningful content, not just some quests to make people play old missions and kill bosses again.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
Abedeus said:
silasbufu said:
oppp7 said:

Sure it is. Few people play it nowadays, compared to the past. They haven't said a word about "another million bought!!", even after 3-4 discounts, like $15 per trilogy. Plus it's been a while since they released content. Meaningful content, not just some quests to make people play old missions and kill bosses again.
It's still played alot . Alot more than Everquest or others up in that list anyway.

Sampsa

May 8, 2008
marter said:
I don't play any MMOs any more, but I used to play Runescape.
Same goes with me.Years agon during summer holiday I was like: "Archery level 70! YESHH! At last! What to do next?"

I never found anything interesting and dropped the gamea week or so later.

Nifarious

Mar 15, 2010
I avoid mmorpgs similarly to how I avoid crack.
Instead I prefer the lighter drug, SC2 beta.