Question of the Day, May 22, 2010

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
As long as the devs actually have a clue what the audience theyre trying to appeal to really want and dont want. Also they should maybe make the 2nd version if its a protagonist like nier available after youve finished the game so you get both experiences if you want.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Depends on the game, but i think leaving the original Nier hero for a western release would have been a nice experiment. On one hand, i think it's an awesome gesture that shows care for the tastes the (western) audience, on the other, would it hurt too much to experience something foreign or different, or does everything really have to conform to our needs (talking in general, nor only about Nier)?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I don't think so. I want to play the game the way the studio has intended. I don't want it to be catered specifically towards me. I'm not that important.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
Well, yeah. I thought that was the point already? o_O Not everyone is going to like the same game, so don't treat it as so. (I thought that developers were already doing this? Unless I missed something.)

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Sure, Isn't that why localization was invented? Isn't it to alter a game to fit in with the local norms? It's not like one set of standards fits with every group so why not have different version for different markets? It's not as if you can't get any copy you want in today's internet age anyways.

Novander

Oct 30, 2009
I'd rather games weren't tweaked. Thanks to the wonder of internet, I've got friends all around the world and I'd like to know that we're actually playing the same games. I understand why developers would tweak their games and for some games targeting certain markets it's not such a problem, but I wouldn't want it to be the way for all games.

Like most of us here (possibly) I've only heard of Nier because of Yahtzee, but imagine if this was done to a higher profile release, like FFXIII. Fanboys would go crazy.

It feels a little like a cop out answer, but it really does depend on the game.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
localisation is exactly this sort of thing.

Even humble washing machines get massive changes based on country of sale. ie: Germany and Japan like devices with lots of buttons and dials and in the UK a single dial with crude pictures to show function and a big 'ON' button is the ideal.

TV series and Films can get completely remade for different audiences. (although I consider most of these audience friendly remakes to be abominations myself)

If an audience will buy a particular hero image over another then there is no good reason not to give it to them. Want to please everyone? make the original character an unlockable or optional item I know I'd choose the original but have no issue with spoon feeding the mass market something palatable.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Well, at least they didn't turn any of the characters into jive-talking african-americans for the sake of racial equality this time. Poor Persona.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I thinknit all depends on the game and such.

Some games would better appeal to others...but, it's all genre

sougo13

Sep 11, 2009
Nah! For better or for worst, I want to play the game the the developers originally had in mind.

FrndlyMisanthrpe

May 28, 2009
Well, I suppose it'd be okay, but it'd also be a good idea to sell the different versions world-wide. Therefore, if you wanted to play the JRPG stereotype version of Nier and you were in America, you could.

Aug 25, 2009
As long as it's done well and is carried out in every aspect of the game.

For example if switching a typical jRPG protagonist for a typical wRPG protagonist, it wouldn't make sense to have all their dialogue and character interactions being the same, so you'd have to adjust a fair bit of the game in order to make it sell.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
The less I have to play as a girly emo-kid, the better. Of course, there's nothing wrong with a girly girl.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I don't want them to, however, if they do I want to be able to choose which version I get.

Honestly, with Nier I'd rather play as the bishonen than the manly man, just because I've played far too many manly men in my time and variety is nice.

EDIT: Woo! New page! That's good luck!

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I cant stand the Japanese portrayal of people and and socety full stop. I think I am too jaded to just accept all the bullshit that happens in them, which is one reason I rarely watch TV.
Example:
Villian: So agaisnt all odds you have broken into my layer of doom (Points gun at hero)
Me: Shoot him!
Hero: You will never get away will this
Me: Shoot him!
Villian: Detaield explanation of his plans and its flaws
Me: Shoot him already godamit!
Hero: Idealistic naive bullshit
Me: Shut that fucker up!
Villians plans fall down around him
Me: gahh the dam hero wins again!

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
absolutely not.
if everything was tweaked so everybody liked it, it would just get boring.
i would much rather there was 2 games, 1 i loved and my brother hated and vice versa than have 2 games we both only like.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
In Nier's case, It wasn't that he was a macho football player type person, it was that it was an interesting choice from a japanese developer. The fact that they changed it, but kept it the same over there just goes to show how ignorant they are.

Japan! We've been playing your games for ages! You don't have to make an old football player your protagonist to get us to play it! However! If you do make an old football player your protagonist and do it on purpose, that would actually be very interesting! Doing it this way is just insulting!