Question of the Day, May 30, 2010

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
I would not call myself a hardcore gamer but if I had to give a reason why. I would say how much I know about the games industry and how I know about them.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
I'd say all it takes is for the gamer to call themself 'Hardcore'.
I just see gamers, I don't see the divide.
Indeed. In my experience, those that call themselves "hardcore" are usually quickly taken out soon afterwards. It's all subjective, since I can't really see a decent reason at any time to call someone "hardcore".

They're just people who play games, like me, and just consider the whole thing to be called "gamers". Sure, that may be bland, but that's how I see it.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
In my opinion I think people calling themselves hardcore gamers is a little egotistical. The whole argument between hardcore gamers and casual gamers to me is no better than an x-box 360 fanboy and a ps3 fanboy arguing over which console better. In the end we are all gamers.

If I was forced to choose what makes someone a hardcore gamer I say it is other. It should not matter what games you play, buy, or the amount of time you spend on a game. If you love gaming than I suppose someone could call themselves a hardcore gamer.

Apr 29, 2010
I think it's how long you have been playing games. Not how long you spend during a day, but more in a sense of how long you've been gaming since you got your first console or PC. Which, for all of us here, is measured in years. But, I don't agree with the term hardcore gamer. I'd rather be known as a person who simply loves and enjoys video games.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
D4zZ said:
Urgh.
It's being a douche and calling yourself a hardcore gamer.

Doesn't matter what you play or how long you play for, if you call yourself a hardcore gamer you're a douche and nothing you say about games has any merit.
This. Also adding that I've never quite understood why people want to throw themselves in to a marketing group with such zeal

Vainglory

Oct 18, 2008
Mainly time played, but more so the percentage of free time you put towards gaming. also to note, the intensity of games you play i guess. basically just means not facebook games, etc.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
I'd say the types of games make the difference.

Casual 'Gamer'
Most Wii (and soon PS Move) shovelware
Farmville and most browser games
If you play it on a phone

Gamer
Console Games (casual-excluded)
PC Games
Arcade Games

Hardcore Gamer
if you care about ladder rank
if you have a high opinion of yourself
if you have won gaming tournaments
Koreans

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
(Voted Other)

It's a mixture of all that and more. Do you study the story and characters? Do you want to get embroiled with the workings of the game? It's very complicated.

kimba_lion

Mar 12, 2010
i wold have to say all of the above, i also believe that owning multi- platformed consoles is a plus. eg:xbox, ps, nintendo...son on so forth

kimba_lion

Mar 12, 2010
Megacherv said:
(Voted Other)

It's a mixture of all that and more. Do you study the story and characters? Do you want to get embroiled with the workings of the game? It's very complicated.
we think alike

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
I use the Search Bar!

(Oh, wait, that was pro gamer, not hardcore.)

But, it was won with the comment:

"I found a lost brown cow on my farm! Who wants it!"

NickIsCool

Nov 18, 2009
i would say a hardcore gamer is someone who is passionate about the games they play

whether its the WoW, The Sims, or Halo

as long as they are passionate about it, they are hardcore in my eyes

Darkstorm091

Jan 27, 2010
In my opinion, being a hardcore player is about how much you enjoy the games you play. Just because you have a lot of games or are good at those games, it doesn't really matter if you are not enjoying what games you play. To me, a hardcore gamer is just someone who enjoys playing games more than the average person does. They take joy in trying new games not so they can 'pwn some noobs,' but because it is a fun and enjoyable experience.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
I chose other.

I don't really care if someone sees me as a 'hardcore' gamer. I'm a gamer. Simple as that. I'll play pretty much any game regardless in whichever shape or form it may come in.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I've written essays that got turned into shows about stuff like "Simulated worlds in the RPG genre", "Evolution of video game graphics", "D&D in video games", "Origins and evolution of the MMO Genre" and the history of just about every video game genre.

If that doesn't make me a hardcore gamer, than it probably makes me a semi-competent game article writer.

Also I roleplay the Pyro.

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
I chose other because it's point 1 and 2. Money don't make you hardcore, you earn that title by playing HARDCORE games for a LONG time :p

Or you earn a title of "No-life" but it's pretty much the same...

[sub].
.[/sub]

[sub]*cry*[/sub]

AlexanderAstartes

Afternoon Delight
Jan 1, 2008
I'm not sure I'd use the word "hardcore", but I knew I was a serious gamer when I became involved in the community surrounding games and the industry.

Flux07

Oct 19, 2008
I think what makes someone a hardcore gamer is the knowledge they know about games... as well as gaming skill. :D