Question of the Day, November 17, 2010

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Often the concepts but nothing more. There are games that can teach like Type of the Dead and Oregon Trail more directly. Oregon Trail helps understand the history and how it was a struggle to get there. Type of the Dead helps teach the home row keys, and help introduce a way to type without looking at the keyboard. Now with games such as Tetris teach that with well placed items can allow for more items to be placed inside a limited amount of room. Which is why I am always happily impressed when I can fit two carts worth of stuff into one cart into one trunk. Which wouldn't of been possible without learning that threw Tetris.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Depending on what game, teamwork, reliability, patience, having fun with challenges rather than solving problems and in general a lot about design and art. Also typing without looking and a better hand-eye-coordination, if the articles are to be believed, haha.

Also English. Anime subs, the internet and videogames are how I got somewhat good at it.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I'm not saying a war game will teach you to handle an assault rifle, or that a racing game can teach you to drive, but absolutely: there is a possibility if a game introduces you to a simple skill and explains the execution, it may be possible to replicate it in real life.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Keith K said:
Flight simulators are just video games.
Exactly. This isn't even an opinion question. This is absolute fact. Driving and flying simulations are as photo-realistic and physically authentic as they've ever been. Who is to say that using a computer keyboard isn't a "real-life skill" or that there aren't dozens of games that teach you how to type. What about touchscreen games that can teach someone how to write or draw? Puzzle games like Zelda, Professor Layton, and even Half-Life can improve logical thinking, spatial awareness, and physical concepts. Games like Wiifit can teach different workout techniques and yoga positions. (and even correct your spine and balance!) On top of all this, just about every game ever made improves hand-eye coordination, image retention, and reaction time- are these not real-life skills?

You can argue that modern day gaming can't provide the authenticity of real-life open heart surgery or the like, but even experiences as complicated as that could potentially be made into a virtual reality. Anybody who says anything but "absolutely" just isn't creative or isn't thinking hard enough.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Concept but not execution. Except for one thing.

Since I started playing videogames, I have lost little to no thumb wars. Coincidence? I don't believe in coincidence.

Tucker154

Jul 20, 2009
Jezzascmezza said:
Concepts, not execution.
It can give you information, but in the end, you're just pushing buttons.
Or wiggling a remote around like an idiot.
And thanks to Kinect, jumping like an idiot.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
At least it can teach you concepts. I mean look at Gran Turismo. You should see me drive

May 5, 2010
I'm reminded of a scene in The Big Bang Theory in which Sheldon maintains that he has learned to swim using the internet, having never actually swam in real life.

In other words, no.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Skills like hand-eye co-ordination, improving your reaction speed, and stuff like that? Hells yeah. I have really good skills like that, which I put down at least partially to my habit of playing video games.

However, skills like firing a weapon or learning to drive or do parkour? No, games can't teach those skills. However, they can teach the basic ideas and concepts, provided the game is realistic enough and/or is a simulation of some sort. For example, I learned to fly a glider when I was 16, and I've since found the experience of actually flying to be very similar to games I've played like H.A.W.X. and Star Wars Starfighter. But of course, playing those games can't teach me how to actually fly a glider, the concepts are similar but the actual execution is very different. As another example, I learned how to fire weapons such as the L-98 rifle, and again the process of aiming and firing was similar to what we see in games like Halo, but there's no way those games can teach me how to really aim a (heavy) rifle and accurately fire on a target. And of course, games don't teach you how to strip down and clean a weapon or do maintenance checks, and game developers have apparently never heard of safety catches either.

For the record, I don't count games like 'Cooking Mama' or similar stuff in this post. Such games can teach you skills, but that's their entire point anyway so shouldn't really count here, right?

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Well of course they can. Ever played Mario Teaches Typing or Typing of the Dead? I learned to stop hunting and pecking from those lovely games.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
The Cheezy One said:
No matter how realistic a game feels, the truth is always beyond that. No war game will actually have mud falling on your face, unless your 360 explodes while playing Call of Duty.
But it can teach you concepts and basics.
I can't wait for Star Trek style holo-games!

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
I remember a story a while back about a kid who helped a car crash victim with first aid skills that he had learned from playing America's Army.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Considering one of the major arguments against "Video Games as Murder Simulators" is the fact that video games are just that, video games, and they can't teach you how to shoot a gun, I'm going to have to say Hell No.

We really don't need anyone deciding that video games can in fact teach real skills, because ultimately it leads back to guns.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Trust me. I know the difference between firing a sniper rifle IRL and shooting one in RE4.