Question of the Day, October 11, 2010

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
I play classic, fun now and again, i would get alpha if i had a credit/debit card or whatever, although i'm 14 and don't seem to have one.

Watch JX's minecraft let's plays. They're funny.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
ReziSt said:
I rage quit after 1 day.

When a game penalizes you for screwing you over, it's not worth my time.

Strike #1: Mining happily, several Diamond, 3 stacks of Redstone and various other ore, all lost when bumped into a lava pit.

Strike #2: Same thing.

Strike #3: When the game crashes (which it seems to frequently) it saves everything related to your character, but nothing related to the world.

E.G. I used all my remaining resources to craft enough tools to drive a new mine shaft. 100 meters into the new shaft the game crashed. Upon reentering the game, the shaft had been filled in and my character was stuck in stone and was promptly killed with no way to retrieve my last remaining items.

NO, BAD GAME.
Play on peaceful mode, it's fun if you don't want much of a challenge, and can be quite relaxing.

OT: Yes, I love the game. But my only complaint (and this is completely my fault) is that I don't have a big enough imagination to play it, god I wish I had a better imagination so I could appreciate it more.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
a mad dodongo said:
I play classic, fun now and again, i would get alpha if i had a credit/debit card or whatever, although i'm 14 and don't seem to have one.

Watch JX's minecraft let's plays. They're funny.
You can get one, just recently I opened up a Natwest account. Got a debit card and other banking stuff which I have yet to grasp, I'm 15.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
itf cho said:
P.S.

Also - if you're interested in seeing some vids of the game, to see if it's something you'd like, I recommend the videos on YouTube by SeaNanners and X (yt id: davidr64yt). SeaNanners' vids are definitely more comedy orientated, while X's series (over 40!) builds an incredibly extensive base before he went haring off into the wilds.
I feel like such a nerd, I watched ALL of BOTH series, they were great, and SeaNanner's bonus chicken song was so funny XD

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
itf cho said:
ReziSt said:
I rage quit after 1 day.

Strike #1: Mining happily, several Diamond, 3 stacks of Redstone and various other ore, all lost when bumped into a lava pit.

Strike #3: When the game crashes (which it seems to frequently) it saves everything related to your character, but nothing related to the world.

E.G. I used all my remaining resources to craft enough tools to drive a new mine shaft. 100 meters into the new shaft the game crashed. Upon reentering the game, the shaft had been filled in and my character was stuck in stone and was promptly killed with no way to retrieve my last remaining items.

NO, BAD GAME.
Hmmm... I've played it extensively, and I've never had it crash - except on multiplayer, and that was related to the known minecart bug. The game still is in its Alpha stage after all. Are you sure your hardware is up to the task? As for Strike 1 & 2... lava is a definite danger. The way to combat it is do two things:

1 - NEVER mine directly next to yourself. Absolutely never directly under your feet, or above your head (falling sand and gravel can kill you as well), and you don't want to drop through a cave roof to your death far below, or worse directly into lava. But more to your point - always keep at lest a block away when mining on the horizontal as well. This will give you time to move away from dangers like lava coming through.

2 - Carry a bucket of water and a stack of cobblestone on your item bar.

The Bucket - If you get set on fire from lava, but not outright killed, right clicking the bucket of water will start up a spring which will put out the fire. Quickly right click on the source block again to pick it back up. You can also use the water to turn lava pools into obsidian, letting you cross the lava lake you just found.

The Cobblestone - If you break through a wall into flowing lava (or water), a quick placement of a block of cobblestone can wall the lava off again before it starts flooding your area. And if you can't accomplish that, you can use the stone to damn up the flow to minimize the damage.
this guy's good, I recommend you listen to him :)

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
I have to play it at my friend's house because I don't have a creditcard and therefore can't buy it. (I don't have a creditcard because I have actual money to buy stuff with; never had a debt in my life. (yet, that is.))

I would however like to see somekind of "undo" ability; ie. undo the placement of the last 2 blocks or something. Because I tend to build Obsidian Doomfortresses, and Obsidian is a pain in the bum when you missplace it. (It takes 50 seconds to destroy with an non-diamond pickaxe and 15 seconds to destroy with a diamond pickaxe - http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Obsidian)
And the music doesn't play often enough.

Shrubery

Apr 2, 2009
play it , love it and ashamed to admit that i'm addicted aswell .
Even running a server for me and my friends.

ninja555

Mar 21, 2009
Played the free version and liked it, currently building a gaint caslte in the space I have. Plannig on getting the full game soon(hopefully today).

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
I played once, and just dug straight down, until I couldn't anymore. Then I had no clue how to get back up, so I quit

ReziSt

Jun 27, 2010
itf cho said:
ReziSt said:
I rage quit after 1 day.

NO, BAD GAME.
Hmmm... I've played it extensively, and I've never had it crash - except on multiplayer, and that was related to the known minecart bug. The game still is in its Alpha stage after all. Are you sure your hardware is up to the task? As for Strike 1 & 2... lava is a definite danger. The way to combat it is do two things:

1 - NEVER mine directly next to yourself. Absolutely never directly under your feet, or above your head (falling sand and gravel can kill you as well), and you don't want to drop through a cave roof to your death far below, or worse directly into lava. But more to your point - always keep at lest a block away when mining on the horizontal as well. This will give you time to move away from dangers like lava coming through.

2 - Carry a bucket of water and a stack of cobblestone on your item bar.

The Bucket - If you get set on fire from lava, but not outright killed, right clicking the bucket of water will start up a spring which will put out the fire. Quickly right click on the source block again to pick it back up. You can also use the water to turn lava pools into obsidian, letting you cross the lava lake you just found.

The Cobblestone - If you break through a wall into flowing lava (or water), a quick placement of a block of cobblestone can wall the lava off again before it starts flooding your area. And if you can't accomplish that, you can use the stone to damn up the flow to minimize the damage.
Thanks for trying to get me back into it, I knew most of those tricks and I was prepared to give it 1 last good crack, however the last straw was the way the game saves on crashing. I would seriously prefer it if it saved nothing at all. With all my stuff gone I essentially had to start from scratch.

So it pretty much wasted a day of my life and I'd rather leave it at that.

ReziSt

Jun 27, 2010
Arachon said:
ReziSt said:
I rage quit after 1 day.

Strike #3: When the game crashes (which it seems to frequently) it saves everything related to your character, but nothing related to the world. E.G. I used all my remaining resources to craft enough tools to drive a new mine shaft. 100 meters into the new shaft the game crashed. Upon reentering the game, the shaft had been filled in and my character was stuck in stone and was promptly killed with no way to retrieve my last remaining items.

NO, BAD GAME.
So essentially, you want a game that hands everything to you? No risk all reward?

'Cept for #3 that is, seems to be kind of buggy.
No, I don't want it spoon fed, but I don't like to feel like I've spent time and achieved nothing. I was prepared to go back but the bug was the last straw.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
I almost gave up before it was mentioned that when torches turn into temporary lighting that all current torches turn into lanterns.