Question of the Day, September 4, 2010

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Wolfenstein 3D is obviously the correct answer. Why is it not even an option?

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
Speaking for those of us who are at least a year younger than the actual game (ie ME), DOOM holds no significant value with us youthful gamers. Halo probably holds more water in the innovation department simply for that fact. I personally never liked Halo, though.

<youtube=5eDGD7kwsxM>

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
There's a lot to be said for DOOM, I agree. It popularised shooters back in its day and paved the road for other innovative titles.

I voted Halo, though, because even though it's not a game most people here look back at with great praise, it did influence how a lot of shooters are put together to this day. There's always a single game in a genre that causes game designers to make games similar to them so they can share in the popularity of said game. Just like WoW is the standard template for MMORPGs, I think Halo is the template for the modern generic shooter.

Also people should remember this poll isn't about which was the better game, but which game influenced the genre most, be it in a good or a bad way.

The bland, generic modern shooter had to start somewhere, and I believe it started with Halo.
Wish I could've voted both DOOM and Halo though.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
A lot of the features that you associate with shooters (and often bash for), like sprinting, aiming down your sights and regenerating health were used heavily in the call of duty series. Due to the popularity of the series, many shooters have mimicked the style. They may not have created the features, but CoD influenced modern shooters into that archetype, no matter which way you look at it.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
i would have to say wolfenstien 3d made the fps genre. i loved doom, but this just came first and was a great game in its time.

Arella18

Apr 22, 2009
Vzzdak said:
Arella18 said:
Wolfenstein 3D was the first FPS game in existence so it influenced the shooter genre more than any other
Aye, back in the day, it was Wolfenstein 3D that people were addictively playing, literally sifting through the levels for hidden areas and easter eggs. Doom and Doom II were natural follow-ups.

However, HalfLife was revolutionary because it combined gameplay and story into an immersive experience that was quite unlike other FPS. HalfLife literally felt being within a film.
I'm not saying the other games didn't do anything to revolutionize shooters but the first games were the ones to actually do the most for the genre because well they started it...without someone taking the first step there wouldn't be a halflife or a halo or any others...

K1dDread

Sep 3, 2010
I think for storyline, Half life.
for ultiplayer, 007 set the bar for 3d shooters after it's inception, though better one's came out after it. It was the first to make fps multiplayer how it was.
aaand for making a path to be followed in the first place, we have to give it to Wolfenstein 3D without a doubt.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
It really depends on which generation you hale from. Pretty much every game on the poll was influential for its time.

Doom - Pretty much started the FPS genre. Sure there were FPS before Doom, but Doom was the first popular one.
Quake - Quake brought FPS into the realm of full 3D.
Halo - As stated in the article, Halo is what defined what sets apart a Console FPS from a PC FPS
Golden Eye - Golden Eye along with Perfect Dark showed that FPS games CAN work on the console. You could argue that Halo might never have happened (on consoles anyway) if these N64 hits never paved the way for it.
Counter Strike - CS set the pace for "realistic" FPS titles.
Half Life - Half Life really set the bar for story-telling and atmosphere. Suddenly it wasn't just about shooting dudes, FPS games can also be an engaging experience.

As for UT... I dunno. Good series, but I didn't play them enough to know if they really introduced anything, or if they were just took the established formulas and did them well.

rossable

Jul 7, 2010
Tribes was doing everything that Halo has attempted and better. PC gaiming is proven supirior because of the added control and the fact that they were doing what Halo claims to have done nearly a decade before hand.