QUESTION So I'm attempting to do Let's Plays...

Dire Sloth

Filthy Casual
Jun 23, 2012
That's pretty much it. And thus far they're not exactly the greatest.
I want to keep doing them though, but I could really use some help.
Here is my first video, and I have a second one up now, too. So where do I go from here to improve? Thanks in advance for any tips!
The Filthy Casual: Let's Play Tomb Raider [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i8Bloec8GM]

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Hey, the video isn't as bad as you say! Quite good for a first attempt, even better for being by yourself and unedited.

You seem to get visuals right, but audio can be a tad better. I don't know if it was me wearing headphones having to do with it but you might sound better if you move a little further away from the microphone and be a bit louder.

The awkward silences isn't really a huge problem but to help get rid of all of it you'd want to bullet point some stuff you want to say but remember to still to talk about what's happening in the game.

Not really required nor to do with the actual video but if you're at least going semi into the Let's Play scene it's best to have some sort of logo/brand aside from a name.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Dire Sloth said:
That's pretty much it. And thus far they're not exactly the greatest.
I want to keep doing them though, but I could really use some help.
Here is my first video, and I have a second one up now, too. So where do I go from here to improve? Thanks in advance for any tips!
The Filthy Casual: Let's Play Tomb Raider [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i8Bloec8GM]
I think you did really well. I would watch your series if you carry on and play the right games.
A few pointers in my humble opinion....
I know it was a decade old tomb raider play through, but let the audience hear the cutscenes so we can follow the games story.

You had a good balance of gameplay and talking going on and I felt and you were pretty calm. I liked that, its a refreshing change from the average let's player going hysterical in order to be 'funny'.

Good luck with it and oh, if my memory serves me well that bear you killed did go down a bit easy so perhaps some things have been changed.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Not bad, not bad at all. You speak clearly, but need more to talk about I guess, sometimes it's quiet for too long but that could just be me.

Length wise, I think around 10-15 mins is good for something like you're doing. Keep it up :D

Dire Sloth

Filthy Casual
Jun 23, 2012
I have a third video up now if anyone would like to watch and critique!
And thank you for watching! <3

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
I see nothing wrong with your lets plays. Good commentary, good quality footage, etc. Pretty good that you already have 17 subs for 3 videos. Heck when I started my youtube channel it took me like 2 months of constantly putting out videos to get that many. I think you could build up a subscriber base pretty quickly as long as you put out videos on a regular basis.

Hellish Nooblit

May 15, 2014
In agreement with Aerosteam, the audio could be better. But I really liked your commentary as well! I felt very relaxed while watching. Your pauses were not bad at all. As a Let's Player myself, I get how hard it can be to talk w/o stopping - especially with a game as slow as that. But you did really well!

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
I myself am new at making Let's Plays/Playthroughs, which I do under my channel called the Grin Brothers, so there is admittedly only so much I can help with. That said, even as someone new to making let's plays I'm sure I can try and give you tips based on what you've recorded so far. So let's see here...

I've only watched the first episode but I found it to be very enjoyable. You are consistent in providing commentary, which I note as a positive feature, and said commentary shifts smoothly between informative and funny. Informative both in your opinion and information on the game and series, yet when an opportunity for a joke or funny comment comes up, you take it. As a result the episode always had my interest, with the occurrence of the light hearted moments making me smile. Audio is generally very good, and although there are some pauses in conversation, they are understandable and very short.

In terms of tips, I only have two things I wish to comment on based on this video. First, I'm led to wonder why sort of audio recording device you use. The sound is very smooth but it becomes apparent that you are very close to the mic, as the sound of breathing can be heard at several moments and it's a little jarring. It's not a big problem, but much like the sound of say... crisp packets or people constantly fidgeting, it's not something you want popping up in the audio. The only other tip I'd say is to have a proper closing to the end of each part, like a thanks for watching and goodbye at whatever point you want to end that part of recording.

I hope these tips will be of use, and I have a feeling I'm going to continue on watching the rest of this Tomb Raider playthrough of yours. It was very enjoyable.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Sould1n said:
I myself am new at making Let's Plays/Playthroughs, which I do under my channel called the Grin Brothers, so there is admittedly only so much I can help with. That said, even as someone new to making let's plays I'm sure I can try and give you tips based on what you've recorded so far. So let's see here...
XD - wow. I'm impressed at your ability to find more threads to mention your channel on.

Still, you had some pretty good advice...

And I shouldn't be surprised there's an older thread on roughly the same topic as mine...

... Anyway... It's interesting to see more people in similar positions. Dire Sloth, or 'Filthy Casual' as she calls herself on youtube

Um... Well, seems a lot more confident speaking than I do...

But... That breath noise... I was recently told the same thing about that... Problem for me is, moving the microphone won't help any...
I wonder if it's just a coincidence, or if it's a begginer problem?

(Or, given this as a comparison, does it maybe stand out more with female voices?)

Odd... I suppose more research is needed...

Oh, and Dire Sloth/filthy casual, if you're reading this, sorry about talking about you in the third person... XD
I wish I could give some useful advice, but I can't exactly say I'm doing any better than you are, so far...
also, can't really come uo with any advice in general...

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
CrystalShadow said:
Sould1n said:
XD - wow. I'm impressed at your ability to find more threads to mention your channel on.

And I shouldn't be surprised there's an older thread on roughly the same topic as mine...

... Anyway... It's interesting to see more people in similar positions. Dire Sloth, or 'Filthy Casual' as she calls herself on youtube

But... That breath noise... I was recently told the same thing about that... Problem for me is, moving the microphone won't help any...

(Or, given this as a comparison, does it maybe stand out more with female voices?)

Oh, and Dire Sloth/filthy casual, if you're reading this, sorry about talking about you in the third person... XD
I wish I could give some useful advice, but I can't exactly say I'm doing any better than you are, so far...
Well I wanted to start things off by creating my own forum thread on the topic of YouTube Let's Plays (because along with wanting to promote my channel, there were genuine questions I wanted to ask about it)... but I encountered the problem of not knowing how to. So instead, I decided to use the Forum search function to search up any topics relating to YouTube Let's Plays, to find any which may be of help to me or where I could help others.

In regards to the breathing noise, what sound recording device do you use to record with? I use a Blue Microphone Snowball myself, and whilst it has had problems with picking up sound from the TV (which I blame on being in such a cramped room at the moment, so hopefully a change of room in future will sort that out), my brother and I have never had the problem of it picking up our breathing.

Once again, good luck with that channel of yours, and I hope what little advice I was able to offer you will be of some help.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Sould1n said:
CrystalShadow said:
Sould1n said:

Well I wanted to start things off by creating my own forum thread on the topic of YouTube Let's Plays (because along with wanting to promote my channel, there were genuine questions I wanted to ask about it)... but I encountered the problem of not knowing how to. So instead, I decided to use the Forum search function to search up any topics relating to YouTube Let's Plays, to find any which may be of help to me or where I could help others.
That makes sense. When I created my own thread on the topic I was very unsure of myself. Especially because I've been on the escapist a long time, and have seen a few quite hostile reactions to anyone that looks to be trying to 'advertise' anything they do for some reason...

(Incidentally, someone invited me to a usergroup for anyone doing creative stuff of any kind. Have you seen it? )

In regards to the breathing noise, what sound recording device do you use to record with? I use a Blue Microphone Snowball myself, and whilst it has had problems with picking up sound from the TV (which I blame on being in such a cramped room at the moment, so hopefully a change of room in future will sort that out), my brother and I have never had the problem of it picking up our breathing.

Once again, good luck with that channel of yours, and I hope what little advice I was able to offer you will be of some help.
I am on a VERY tight budget at the moment, so most of what I've done so far has been very improvised when it comes to equipment. With my voice recordings I went through everything I owned.
I started with a headset mic (which sounded so bad that after about 20 attempts to record a voiceover with it I practically had a nervous breakdown... I almost gave up because of that one... It was all noise, and massively over-emphasised low-frequency sound)
Then there were something like 3 other microphones lying about. All of which sounded awful, and some even had so much noise they practically drowned out my voice entirely.

Finally, my current solution, which probably sounds quite bizarre, is to record the voiceover using my tablet computer - (This is a galaxy note 8...).
Compared to everything else I've tried, this has amazingly high quality. However, one of the apparent downsides, is it is hypersensitive to the slightest noise.
I know I've heard myself typing on it... It picks up my voice clearly from over 1 metre away (more than 3 feet), and even at that distance STILL clearly picks up my breathing (I don't breathe THAT loudly, surely?). If there's anyone else home (a rarity, but it happens sometimes that family stays over), I basically can't record, because anything they do will be on it too...
I don't know what to do with it to be honest... It is, maybe TOO good for something like this... >_<

But if I have some funds to spare I'll think about getting something else, because it seems to annoy a few people... I just hope I don't end up getting something that does the same thing...
(Though really, my first priority remains an HDMI recorder, because I'm really restricted both in the quality and choice of what I can play on my channel at the moment. - I own lots of games, but many of them I can't record right now, and some which I can record could look a lot better. I already feel bad knowing I'm currently recording Mighty Switch force using a composite video capture device.)

Anyway, I had a look at your channel by the way... You've done a LOT of videos... XD - (I even subcribed ;p)
I guess taking that into account I might be doing slightly better than you are, but I couldn't really say why. - You have way more content. (My subscriber count is misleading. I gained 7 subscribers since starting on gaming. I had 9 already from videos which are no longer publicly listed. - There were only 2 of them, but they had 1600 views between them. And I have no idea if that has any subtle influences on how youtube treats you...)

It's a real pain trying to figure out what youtube does behind the scenes. The analytics page is fascinating, but it doesn't help that much... XD (I did find the geography stats pretty amusing. My top countries are, unsurprisingly, given where I've lived, and who I know, Australia, and the UK. The US is third, which shouldn't surprise anyone that releases videos in English... The more amusing stats are the 'minutes watched' ones... Which, for me, show the rather dubious fact (dubious because it was exactly 1 person), that my most devoted viewer was from Japan... They sat through more of my video than anyone else... XD - (considering I have this whole 'catgirl gamer' thing going on, I was almost expecting that...) - Second place turns out the be Ireland of all things. I don't really know why I find these statistics so amusing, but I do... It's quite odd.)

Wow... Sorry... I'm getting carried away again... XD

Anyway, good luck to you as well... I hope we can all help each-other figure out a bit more about how this works, at the very least...