Question: Those outside of the UK, what is your internet/digital service like?

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Canadian here:

I use Shaw cable at home. $60 for 250GB of 25/2.5Mbps (fastest you can get is 100/5, but that's $$$$).

For mobile. $25 for 2GB of 4G/3G/2G, which usually hovers around 35/20Mbps around here. Seen 120Mbps elsewhere in the country though.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Mersadeon said:
Just found this, thought it might be fitting: http://imgur.com/gallery/Wr6Tlv1

A graph showing stuff pertaining to this thread.
That's depressing but thank you for the graph. Slovak Republic gets more internet usage and pay waaaaaaay less than the US and Canada. Is this capitalism getting a bit to greedy cause it doesn't look fair at all.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Canadian here. I use MTS cable but I'm not sure of the cost or the precise speed since it was my parents that purchased it. For the most part it's decent, not ultra-fast but it also doesn't take forever and a day to download something.

Humanity1

Apr 14, 2009
Paradox SuXcess said:
Mersadeon said:

That's depressing but thank you for the graph. Slovak Republic gets more internet usage and pay waaaaaaay less than the US and Canada. Is this capitalism getting a bit to greedy cause it doesn't look fair at all.
Not to try and fully justify it, but a large amount of the difference in cost (and some of the difference in speed) could be driven by the fact that people in Canada and the US are a good deal more spread out than people in the other countries. Take Japan for example. To get high-speed internet to a lot of the population the telecom companies don't need to install nearly as much infrastructure as you would in the US as population density is much higher in Japan.

This population density issue and equality of the net of often cited (I think somewhat legitimately, some others don't) as one of the main reasons that it's so expensive to get internet to everyone over here in Australia. We are really spread out.

But that still wouldn't explain the difference between US costs and Canadian costs given their PPP is pretty similar from what I can gather.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Humanity1 said:
Paradox SuXcess said:
Mersadeon said:

Not to try and fully justify it, but a large amount of the difference in cost (and some of the difference in speed) could be driven by the fact that people in Canada and the US are a good deal more spread out than people in the other countries. Take Japan for example. To get high-speed internet to a lot of the population the telecom companies don't need to install nearly as much infrastructure as you would in the US as population density is much higher in Japan.

This population density issue and equality of the net of often cited (I think somewhat legitimately, some others don't) as one of the main reasons that it's so expensive to get internet to everyone over here in Australia. We are really spread out.

But that still wouldn't explain the difference between US costs and Canadian costs given their PPP is pretty similar from what I can gather.
That's actually a good point because it will cost a lot to install fiber optic across a large open part of the country where everyone is spread out. However if and when they are installed, will the price of broadband actually go down or stay the same?

TheCrapMaster

Aug 31, 2009
Sweden here.

I have 100/10MB fibre connection, i usualy hit at about 97,4MB in download and for some reason 10,7MB in uppload. And i pay 329kr for it, that´s about 37euro or 50,71 US dollar. Some adresses can choose to get a 1GIG connection tho i have no idea why anyone would need that.

Tho i live in the middle of the city and most city´s in sweden have a fibre connection or cabel connection, tho fibre is starting to spread out to the country side aswell.

But usualy it´s a ADSL connection for those who don´t live in the city or bigger community´s and those usualy have choices around 2Mb,8MB or 24MB and 1MB-3MB in uppload. Tho the download rate usualy hangs for respective speed on about 2MB= 1,5MB. 8MB= 5-7MB. And 24MB usualy hits everything between 12MB-20MB, depends on the distance to the station it´s connected to. The price on those range from about 55 US dollar or 40 Euro, and usualy needs to have a phone subscription aswell to carry the ADSL connection and that usualy costs another 16 Euro or 23 US dollar.

The only type of internet we have that has a limited download usage is our mobile internet.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Dead Century said:
Another rural Canadian. I pay around $70CAN a month with a 20GB limit, they charge an additional 5 bucks for 30GB more. My speed is supposed to be 1.5MBPS, but in reality works out to 500KBPS. Pretty fucking terrible. Long story made short, stay away from satelite, kids. Unfortunately, it's the only option available here, aside from the local ISP which is shit and will charge you out the ass if you go over 10GB. Fuck, I should pack up and move.
That was similar to what I had back in Saskatchewan. It's much better here in Vancouver but that's because my landladies are paying for a good service. I've never asked them what it is but it doesn't fail as often as Sasktel did nor does the connection seem to slow by much during peak hours.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Paradox SuXcess said:
Mersadeon said:

wait a tic, no one (that I know of at least) pays 90 dollars a month for internet here. That is how much you would commonly spend on a package deal (which is what most people in the US get). Package deal being cable and internet (and maybe a phone)

JBGigas

Dec 19, 2009
Finnish here!

I pay around 25 euros a month for unlimited 110/10MB speed. I have to say, I got a good deal and I love it!
And well cable tv is free and it is enough for me.

MeTalHeD

Feb 19, 2014
South African here.

Much like my Zimbabwean counterpart, Gandanga11, it's ridiculously expensive to get a decent line. By decent I mean anything more than 4Mb lines. The partially government-owned telecommunications company, Telkom, held an iron grip on broadband meaning service providers could only offer so much. We were getting broadband for roughly the same price, but it really just depended which ISP had better ping.

There was a time not too long ago that a 10Mb line would have set you back about $200 a month. Thankfully it's about half that now, and they're offering 20Mb lines for that amount. But it was a struggle for years to get them to ease up. Their infrastructure and business model were particularly bad and they admitted at the end of last year that their customers hated them: http://www.fin24.com/Companies/ICT/Telkom-Our-customers-hate-us-20131119

Telkom upgraded the lines last year soon after that report, so I now have a 4Mb line, where I had a 2Mb one before. The problem now is that the ping for gaming has been inconsistent because they're apparently working on the exchanges. Late night gaming tends to be fine, though, but I shouldn't have to wait til midnight to be able shoot some zombies, lag free.

What was heartbreaking for me was when I met someone from California, who said he paid about $30 a month for a 30Mb line at the time. A friend of mine went to Turkey and when he returned, he told me how a fruit vendor was sitting with a 100Mb line for cheap. I couldn't believe it. I often hear of the ridiculous internet speeds in South Korea, and as long as their northern neighbours don't nuke them anytime soon, perhaps it's time to move.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Looking through this thread, I've actually got it pretty decent.

Still though, $80/mo for a 15mbit line (That's 1.6 MB)is a bit on the atrocious side. I'm in a major metropolitan area in Canada.

Keep in mind too, HDD manufactures AND Telcom companies use Megabits in their measurements, not MegaBytes. Here's a handy-dandy calculator to remind you how much this terminology fucks you in the ass.

http://www.matisse.net/bitcalc/?input_amount=1&input_units=bytes&notation=legacy

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
I live in the rural South East US and pay $80 for 6 mb/s down and 1 mb/s up (translates to about 700 kb/s download speed/100 kb/s upload) with unlimited data. I feel as if I'm being ripped of majorly, since my internet only costs $40 a month but I am required to have land line phone service with it. Since I hate getting phone calls, all my house phones are unplugged and never used.

I can't really complain however, for how rural my area is, my county has the 2nd best internet backbone in the state of Georgia. (Atlanta is the only place that has decent cable fibre AFAIK) So I get very decent pings and fairly reliable internet, too bad I pay a shit load too much money for it.

I'm seriously wanting Google Fibre, but that probably isn't going to happen.