Questions on the new Mad Max movie

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
FieryTrainwreck said:
Gorfias said:
Agreed. A brute saves a woman from blood collapsing her lungs by stabbing her? And then, miracle of miracle, their blood matches for a transfusion?
I can almost buy that Max would know how to release pressure on the lungs given his previous life as a cop, but the blood transfusion strained credulity. Regardless, I think Furiosa should have died. I'm sure there's a version of the script where she does die, but I get the feeling that was shot down fairly early given the massive potential for sequels in light of Theron's brilliant turn.
I could be wrong, but I think when they were tattooing his back with his vital stats as a blood bag, it said he was O negative, which would be the universal donor. It was hard to read so that could be wrong, but if it is the case, then he would be a able to donate to anyone. Which would make that scene more plausible. As to the fact of him knowing first response medical training, yeah I can totally buy that if he was a cop, that he might know basic emergency procedures to help somebody. I mean look at how he reacts to that situation. When he's prepping the IV, he seems very clinical and knowledgeable about it, even correcting the woman who was helping him saying "Hold it up higher", like he knows what he's doing. So yeah, that bit I didn't have problems with. My issue was the idea that she didn't have internal organ damage from the stab she took, considering where it was on her body, and how deep she got stabbed by that knife, I call a bit of bullshit on the idea that her wounds weren't fatal, especially in a post-apocalyptic setting.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Pyrian said:
Gorfias said:
And then, miracle of miracle, their blood matches for a transfusion?
Dude, they made a pretty big deal about the fact that Max is a universal donor.
Hmmm. Convenient. I hadn't noticed but it is an explanation. Hope this next guy I quote reads your post too....

FieryTrainwreck said:
I can almost buy that Max would know how to release pressure on the lungs given his previous life as a cop
Cops do get basic CPR training but something like this? I wouldn't even want a trained resident doing it! Can't recall for sure but I think it was Grey's Anatomy a new resident tries to do an emergency tracheonomy on a person and dang near kills 'em!

Nailzzz

Apr 6, 2015
I really enjoyed this movie. The concerns about it being a preachy feminist movie are overblown if not outright baseless. The motivations for the women in the film made a lot of sense given the world they existed in and I thought they were decently characterized. I would actually say that skipping this movie over concerns about feminist influence would be a disservice to oneself.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zhukov said:
As an aside, are you aware that if you edit a Q into your post, it doesn't notify the quotee?
...no?

[sub/]ok then[/sub]

Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
You are just the worst kind of person.
why...thankyou!

Parasondox said:
So, having fun and not over thinking is not fun? Please tell me you are kidding when you say there is no such thing as over thinking?
my point is that analysing a work and enjoying it are not mutually exclusive, and people often throw out the "don't think just have fun" as a way to deflect or silence criticism/analysis that rustles their jimmies

Marxie said:
Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theory.
its just another interpretation , less harmless than being a 9/11 truther or beliving in the Illuminati

[quote/]The Pillars of Eternity "offensive joke" fiasco.[/quote]
it was an offensive joke, how's that over thinking it? was it a big enough to deal remove from the game? ehhh debatable but they did and overall nothing of value was lost,

[quote/]Dan Brown wastepaper.[/quote]
theyre just dumb thrillers appealing to peoples sense of mystery/conspiracy

[quote/]The entire character of The Question from DC's JLA.[/quote]
Renyee Montaya? I'm not really familiar with her incarnation as "The Question". Whats wrong with her? (speaking of which I hear she's coming back to comics...I gotta get round to reading gotham central)

[quote/]Any attempt at finding any sense in Donnie Darko.[/quote]
just because something isn't presented at face vaule doesn't make it meaningless. I'd recommend "Renegade cuts" anaylisis on Donnnie Darko....also his one of Mullholland Drive that was great

really you seem to be conflating "overthinking" with "using your brain at all"

FieryTrainwreck said:
In Orange is the New Black there is a minor character Called Black Cindy. She is for the most part bad Black stereotypes she's takes no responsibility for her actions, has a daughter whom she seems utterly unwilling to raise (foisted off to her mother) tries to blame everything on racism and is a petty criminal

now why hasn't some corners of the internet been set ablaze with criticism for this character? while I'm sure people have complained, they're probably far too distracted by Taystee, Pousay, Suzzane and even Vee as far more compelling black female characters

if black Cindy was the only black character in OITNB...if current media was FULL of nothing but Black Cindys people would notice and people would be unhappy. And a movie/show full of strongly written black female characters would not be a huge slight against white people, not when they've got the spotlight 99% of the time

and that rambling is what I'm trying to illustrate

that representation of women in media is severely lacking in not just numbers but the kind of representation [I/]in the first place[/I]

now obviously convincing some people of ^this which informs most of our discussion here is damn near impossible, thease "MRA"[footnote/]I use quotes because I refer to a mentality more than a movement...except for those dunderheads who aren't seeing the movie on principle[/footnote] types do not accept that assumption I doubt many would change their mind

and IMO I get the impression they really don't care how men are portrayed unless its a cheap shot at false equivalency

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Vault101 said:
Parasondox said:
So, having fun and not over thinking is not fun? Please tell me you are kidding when you say there is no such thing as over thinking?
my point is that analysing a work and enjoying it are not mutually exclusive, and people often throw out the "don't think just have fun" as a way to deflect or silence criticism/analysis that rustles their jimmies
You mean this so called "feminist preaching" that's apparently in the film but isn't in the film and just telling the side of a story of one character. Seriously, why are so many things that involves a female lead or strong female character, ends up being highlighted as something negative, cause some petty outrage and brings up the over over over used "feminist [insert word here]"?

My added point is, there are way too many things these days being over analysed and "causing outrage" that had no intention of it in the first place by those with personal hidden/loud agenda's that often clouds their view of a content way to easily.

We all have our battles to fight, we all have the corners we must fight for but we shouldn't let everything be that battle.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Parasondox said:
oh my god its called analysing something from a certain point of view, we all do it all the fucking time

there is no "message" here in this film other than (quote) [b/]women are not things[/b]

of coarse a film with strong female characters is going to get a lot of discussion

[quote/] over analysed and "causing outrage" that had no intention of it in the first place by those with personal hidden/loud agenda's that often clouds their view of a content way to easily.
.[/quote]
on the contrary there seems to be a whole lot of reactionary people who are freaking out because *gasp* people might actually be looking at media and how it portrays women/minorities

also intentions don't mean I can't analyse something from some point of view, if I think X movie is good/bad from a feminist perspective then that's my opinion

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Zhukov said:
Ayup. It's the most disgustingly blatant piece of modern feminist indoctrination since Charlie's Angels. And they're trying to sneak it into the minds of impressionable young men with a veneer of muscle cars, explosions and flaming tornadoes.

It's been severely pissing off the Real Men Of The Internet something fierce.

The plot is largely driven by the actions of a one-armed, short haired amazonian *****. Max spends most of the movie being all passive and shy and just doing whatever she says like a total beta male. At one point she even physically subdues him despite her being a cripple and him being a large male who lifts. Revolting shit.

Even those leggy, white-clad sluts from the trailers actually get some stuff to do from time to time. Oh, and then there's a bunch of ugly, middle-aged hags with guns on motorbikes who show up being all competent and surviving on their own and shit. I mean, wtf is this garbage? I went in expecting Mad Fucking Max, not a live action Powerpuff Girls.

Dark time brah, dark times.

I had to watch Expendables 2 four times back-to-back afterwards just to scrub this abomination from my mind.
Sad thing is I've seen a lot of posts like this, but serious, on the internet.

Fappy said:
The movie's about explosions and a group of girls not wanting to be sex slaves.
How dare women not want to be things. What kind of feminist bullshit are they trying to cram down our throats, over and over and over. Maybe it's just me, but do you see a trend with the seeming fixation on err, homo erotic rape metaphors whenever people complain about an arguably feminist message being presented in media?

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW YOU PEOPLE CAN BE TALKING ABOUT THIS MOVIE AND NOT BE USING ALL-CAPS I JUST GOT BACK FROM THE THEATER AND HOLY SHIT MY PULSE IS STILL ABOUT 140 AND I DON'T THINK I'LL BE ABLE TO SLEEP FOR A WEEK 10/10 WILL SEE AGAIN

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Kinda? But that's just how Mad Max movies work. Apart from the first movie, Max is never the main protagonist. He drifts in to help someone else's story.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Kinda? But that's just how Mad Max movies work. Apart from the first movie, Max is never the main protagonist. He drifts in to help someone else's story.
You know thats something that the movie got really right.

For example, right at the end, they could've done something of Max seeing one of those ghosts haunting him showing up. Its kinda cliche, but its a cliche ending and it wouldn't have necessarily been a bad thing. However, the movie showed restraint, and instead, we just see Max walk off and disappear into the crowd. Its an already really strong moment and quite frankly I was expecting to see the spirits be at peace, and it wouldn't have killed it. Instead, there is none of that. Its just simply Furiosa making eye contact with Max moments before he disappears back into the crowd. Its a strong moment, the emotional climax of the film, made even stronger by giving to the film's true protagonist.

Another example is that she is the one who takes out Immortan Joe. I was half-expecting to see her fight a woman in spandex before reviews came out because thats what usually happens to the female sidekick in action films. Instead, she's the star of the film, and she takes him out. She always lose her prosthetic hand in the process, which I thought had greater meaning since it was probably given to her for having been in good service to him. There would be no real resolution to Max taking him out because they have no history between each other, as Max had been there all of one or two days. I think these were really wise decisions to make.

Anywho, Max somehow straddles the line between an audience insert character and the protagonist. Its not traditional so I think thats what is throwing people off.
Seems straightforward to me. Max just plays as an Australian Man with no Name (though he has yet to be played by an Australian, natch). Maybe if I hadn't seen the other movies first it would be weird? But I went into it expecting women to be bad asses and plot drivers.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
If by "feminist," we mean "has female characters playing parts besides the damsel or eye candy," then yes, this movie is SUPER feminist.

Serious answer: there's some interesting themes involving gender laced through the film, but if the movie has any sort message about feminism, it's that women are capable of doing things, and shouldn't be sex slaves. Not the most extreme message in the world.

It's the greatest Hollywood action movie in ages. Everyone with a beating heart needs to see it.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Holy crap, I don't know about any of this feminist conspiracy theory bullshit some people are spouting but I'll be damned if that wasn't one of the best action movies I've seen in ages. I think the last time I left a theater feeling that fulfilled and full of awe was probably Hot Fuzz, and I bloody love Hot Fuzz which says a lot about what I think of this movie.

THIS is how an action movie is done, most other action directors should feel shame knowing the 70 year old director of Happy Feet just sauntered into their genre after a 30 year absence and made something better than they likely will.

Also I now officially want my own guitar guy to follow me around spouting the most insanely awesome music possible every time I show up on screen. I need this in my life.

Treeberry

Nov 27, 2013
MPerce said:
If by "feminist," we mean "has female characters playing parts besides the damsel or eye candy," then yes, this movie is SUPER feminist.

Serious answer: there's some interesting themes involving gender laced through the film, but if the movie has any sort message about feminism, it's that women are capable of doing things, and shouldn't be sex slaves. Not the most extreme message in the world.

It's the greatest Hollywood action movie in ages. Everyone with a beating heart needs to see it.
Exactly.

I wonder if the same people who think there's an omg-evil-gender conspiracy about Fury Road think a similar thing about Road Warrior? BDSM gay men agenda trying to turn them all into assless chap-wearing subs! HRAUGH!

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
Gorfias said:
Agreed. A brute saves a woman from blood collapsing her lungs by stabbing her?
Actually, yes. That is exactly what one would do in such a situation. Granted, it isn't exactly sterile technique, but in a postapocalyptic hellscape, you take what you can get.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Don Incognito said:
Gorfias said:
Agreed. A brute saves a woman from blood collapsing her lungs by stabbing her?
Actually, yes. That is exactly what one would do in such a situation. Granted, it isn't exactly sterile technique, but in a postapocalyptic hellscape, you take what you can get.
The sterility of it is the least of my concerns. She can die of infection later.

You need to know where to cut, how deep, how long.

I think it was an episode of Grey's anatomy: someone tries to do an emergency tracheotomy on someone and damn near murders them.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Saw it the other day, and absolutely loved it to bits. Hadn't enjoyed a film in the cinema that much in quite a while.

It didn't occur to me at the time that people would be complaining about the presence of a badass woman character, but I continue to be disappointed, despite my already low expectations of people.