Questions With No Right Answers.

alexwbyrd

Jul 12, 2012
Another question posed to the Escapist forums: What are some questions that have absolutely no correct answer to?

For example:
Wife: Am I fat?
Husband: No not at all! You're perfect babe!
Wife: Yeah well...You kinda implied last night during dinner that I should be eating more greens. You were basically calling me fat.
Husband: No I wasn't I just thought you wanted to eat more healthy.
Wife: Oh so am I unhealthy now?! Is that just another term for FAT?!?!?!
Husband: Honey no!!
etc. etc.

So what are some other questions that just don't seem to have a right answer for?

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
But the question, 'Am I fat?' does have a correct answer - either 'yes' or 'no'. Either answer is correct depending on the weight of the question asker. If their weight is in the range that would classify them as 'overweight' (fat), then 'yes' is correct. Otherwise, 'no' is correct. In the case of the scenario within the OP, if the wife is not overweight then the husbands answer of 'no' (we'll pretend he didn't say 'you're perfect') is factually correct/the truth and therefore objectively right.
... I'm missing the point here aren't I?

alexwbyrd

Jul 12, 2012
"right" or "correct" in the context of the above question would mean an answer that won't (generally) annoy, infuriate or otherwise agitate the person being asked the question so yes you are missing the point.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
alexwbyrd said:
"right" or "correct" in the context of the above question would mean an answer that won't (generally) annoy, infuriate or otherwise agitate the person being asked the question so yes you are missing the point.
He's right though. There is most definitely a correct answer to that question.

If you were looking for a different kind of response, you probably could've framed the question differently. You're not really asking about questions there is no right answer to. You're asking about creative applications of lying to avoid conflict.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
On the other hand, there is always the classic "Is the answer to this question 'No'?"

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
alexwbyrd said:
He's right though. There is most definitely a correct answer to that question.

If you were looking for a different kind of response, you probably could've framed the question differently. You're not really asking about questions there is no right answer to. You're asking about creative applications of lying to avoid conflict.
Exactly.
OP clearly just wanted to share his outdated sense of humour.

I wonder if he's noticed that black guys drive like this...

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Those situations (and I've been in them, even though I'm not married) have no right answer. When people ask these questions (and it's not just women), they are looking for reassurance. Just telling them "No, of course not!" isn't going to cut it - they are desperately craving repeated platitudes to make them feel better about themselves. If you get this question, the best way to deal with it is to launch into a barrage of "No, of course not!" "Yes, I agree totally" "You're perfect the way you are" and if they bring up anything you've ever said that contradicts your "Compliment-barrage", just profusely apologize and say that it wasn't what you meant.

That usually works. It requires some acting, but it's not that hard to pull off.

The Compliment-Barrage - saving my bacon 5 years and counting.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
There is an age old question with no right answer:

Then who was phone?

On a serious note, "which of these is better" questions have no right answer in many situations, due to the objective nature of what is "good".

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
JRCB said:

Then who was phone?
Door hand hook car door?

Brad Calkins

May 21, 2011
"Do you want a harem?"
I know it doesn't come up often, but if you answer yes, people will hate you, and if you say no, you're a liar.

Ladies this applies to you too.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
"If God can do anything, can he make an object too heavy for him to lift?"

alexwbyrd

Jul 12, 2012
Korolev said:
Those situations (and I've been in them, even though I'm not married) have no right answer. When people ask these questions (and it's not just women), they are looking for reassurance. Just telling them "No, of course not!" isn't going to cut it - they are desperately craving repeated platitudes to make them feel better about themselves. If you get this question, the best way to deal with it is to launch into a barrage of "No, of course not!" "Yes, I agree totally" "You're perfect the way you are" and if they bring up anything you've ever said that contradicts your "Compliment-barrage", just profusely apologize and say that it wasn't what you meant.

That usually works. It requires some acting, but it's not that hard to pull off.

The Compliment-Barrage - saving my bacon 5 years and counting.
Man If any of my exes ever started pulling that on me our relationship wouldn't have lasted the night. Given your absolutely right but I can't possibly bring myself to loving a person who was prone to constantly fish for reassurance and self-validation.

alexwbyrd

Jul 12, 2012
JRCB said:

Then who was phone?

On a serious note, "which of these is better" questions have no right answer in many situations, due to the objective nature of what is "good".
Where is that from? I've seen it a few times on the interwebz but I don't get what it's supposed to be referencing.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
What is love? On one hand Haddaway, on the other love is an emotion of a strong affection and personal attachment.

NinjaSniperAssassin

Sep 19, 2012
"If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Also,

"What is the sound of one hand clapping?"

And finally,

"Who let the dogs out?"

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Aylaine said:
What is life?

As Cyborg would say,

:D

If I suggested to someone that they eat more greens, it wouldn't be a weight related suggestion, but more of a nutritional one. :)
Yeah, suggesting someone should eat more greens can just as easily be about getting more minerals or vitamins as someone being fat. The example is stupid because it's incredibly easy to give a right answer.