Questions With No Right Answers.

Sensenmann

Oct 16, 2008
What is the meaning of life?
What is the duty of an artist, if there is any?
Does the paranormal or the soul exist or can we already discount it because science cannot measure it?
Where does consciousness come from?

alexwbyrd

Jul 12, 2012
Sensenmann said:
Does the paranormal or the soul exist or can we already discount it because science cannot measure it?
I'm sure that one has been asked several times before but that is because it's a damn good question.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
"What colour is this?"

There is no right answer, because I can't prove that my red is your red. Your red might actually be green, but you call it red and see everything red as green. So although you will say red, I can never know for sure that it's the same red I can see.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Aylaine said:
What is life?
That's more just a stupid question.

It reminds me of "What is the meaning of life?" which is equally as interesting and thought provoking as "What is the meaning of rock?"

Basically folks found gibberish questions and started asking them like they were profound :p.

Most of the "profound questions" are just moronic but worded in such a way that folks don't realize it, that profound feeling is just the brain trying to make sense of the senseless.

As for questions with no right answer, I'd assume most questions have some level of gray area.

That whole hooker thing. "Would you have sex with me for a million?" "Yeah." "What about a penny?" "No." "Oh so we are just working out the price then."

The only real easy questions are those extremes like "Should we rape and kill everyone on the planet?" You then say no, but once you get down off extreme examples it becomes much more complicated.

You being whoever is unfortunate enough to be reading this post.

alexwbyrd said:
Sensenmann said:
I'm sure that one has been asked several times before but that is because it's a damn good question.
...is it really? :/

Just because someone can put a question mark at the end of things doesn't mean its a valid question.

As Dawkins...I think...put it: "Why are Unicorns hollow?"

If we are going to start just adding gravity to questions that better stroke our hubris, then why deal with reason at all? It would be much easier to just assume outlandish things that only have as much reason to be real as Harry Potter. "They both could be imagined to be real."

Sensenmann said:
What is the meaning of life? You are correct, this has no right answer. Because it is silly.
What is the duty of an artist, if there is any? I've never heard this one before, but given that art is the most subjective act on the planet I would guess it falls under the same paradigm as the meaning of life one.
Does the paranormal or the soul exist or can we already discount it because science cannot measure it? - Same as top question.
Where does consciousness come from? - This one has a bit of a complication. The tool being used to measure the question is the thing being measured. Considering that you can vastly alter someone's personality by damaging or routing their brain I would suspect that consciousness is largely just what we call the act of being alive with our level of brain power.

It's said that the day you could put a person and a computer in a box, speak with them, and not be able to figure out if the computer or the person is the one responding we will have reached the point where computers should be treated with the same laws as people.

If we do not then we must define what is life and consciousness. Not what the meaning of those things are, but objectively, what are they. Obviously aren't there yet, but I hope it happens in my lifetime because I'd love to watch the chaos it would cause. Forum chaos, mind you, not like...stabbing one another.

Snfinity

Jul 5, 2012
Sensenmann said:
Many questions with "no right answer" are only believed to be unanswerable because the people trying to answer the question don't fully understand it, but simultaneously don't realize that they don't understand it.
In this case, meaning would refer to a purpose. This becomes a simple question of "is there something to give life a purpose", since obviously purpose requires an agent acting in pursuit of an end goal. An extremely devout Christian would therefore say "to praise God", while a skeptic who denies any intelligent agent would say "there isn't one". In any case, there is a rather clear answer.

Sensenmann said:
Art is art because it invokes emotion. Therefore, the duty of the artist is to invoke emotion in those who view the art.

Or just "to do art", if you prefer.

Sensenmann said:
This isn't unanswerable, strictly speaking, but people often don't bother answering out loud it because it's very difficult to argue the point, since believers have no evidence for the skeptics to disprove, and skeptics don't accept hearsay and anecdotes as evidence.

Sensenmann said:
What is consciousness? If everything you perceive is interpreted by your brain, and you perceive only with your physical body, then consciousness, being a perception made by your body and interpreted by your brain, originates somewhere physical and perceptible. Since no force, magic, soul, or other "thing" has been found, consciousness must not be perceived, but rather generated by the brain itself, making it an illusion. If you perceive non-physical things without your physical body, consult your doctor.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Pseudonym2 said:
When did you stop beating your wife?
Oddly enough, we went over this one in class today. Weird.

I like going with "Have you finally kicked your chronic masturbation habit?" Makes my friends feel awkward.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Thyunda said:
"What colour is this?"

There is no right answer, because I can't prove that my red is your red. Your red might actually be green, but you call it red and see everything red as green. So although you will say red, I can never know for sure that it's the same red I can see.
False.

It can be quantified as a color as according to the hexadecimal RGB spectrum. Whether or not you view colors the same (which seems unlikely, based on biology) is irrelevant, as the color is F2FF40, or B3270C, or 2394AE, etc.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
"If a train leaves the LA airport at 12:73, and a car stars diving from England to Hawaii, how much syrup do I need for my bacon?"

Mnixos

Nov 8, 2012
Sensenmann said:
As a scientist I have always been fond of the Selfish Gene Theory: Life is just a way that DNA found to protect and replicate itself

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
lacktheknack said:
False.

It can be quantified as a color as according to the hexadecimal RGB spectrum. Whether or not you view colors the same (which seems unlikely, based on biology) is irrelevant, as the color is F2FF40, or B3270C, or 2394AE, etc.
Just a heads up, there are more perceptible shades than just the 16,777,216 that Hex RGB notation can show. Look at CMYK and CMYKOG.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Every hypothetical question thread that appears on the escapist.

None of those have had a right answer--only varying shades of gray.