Questions you hate being asked

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
About music and where I live. Why the hell do people care where I live? I mean in real life when it is fairly obvious I won't meet them again.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
This sounds so egotistical but I hate the question "How did you get so good at drawing?" because it's a complex answer and I'm also told it's not often not meant as a question but as a complement. But still it's said as a question and the answer is so easy, practice!

The other question I think is just annoying "Did you look at something when drawing this?" I don't really know what that really means. Is that a odd way of asking if someone traced something? I just don't know.

Constable Narwhal

Oct 17, 2008
I absolutely hate getting asked what my hobbies are. Always makes me feel like nothing I say will be good enough, I can't just come out and say "I like to work on and use the computer." So instead I make something normal up because really I have nothing to say.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
"Where do you work?"
Don't get me wrong, I like my job and most of the people I work with, but as soon as I start to answer, you can see the person's eyes begin to glaze over.
Not great when talking to women.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
- Why don't you try and find better work? (where better = more money to most people)
- Why aren't you ever in a relationship?

Your standard lifestyle questions that are difficult to answer because the answers may not place me in the norm. I simply prefer entry level work because it is a stress free environment that provides the most opportunity to have fun and more importantly, work the part time hours I tolerate.

I'm not in a relationship because I don't try to be. I love the sense of freedom that comes with being single. If I choose to spend 12 hours in a day playing a video game I can do so without guilt. I don't have to plan my day or routines around others. I'll likely be single until a girl I feel I'm compatible with takes that first step to ask me out...until that happens I feel no need to change a lifestyle I'm completely satisfied with.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Snotnarok said:
The other question I think is just annoying "Did you look at something when drawing this?" I don't really know what that really means. Is that a odd way of asking if someone traced something? I just don't know.
I would assume they're asking if you used a reference. Basically, did you draw something you could see, or did you invent it purely in your mind's eye?

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
For some reason I have always hated being asked "What is your name?" I just feel stupid when I say my name out loud....

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
when people find out im bi i get asked this "why cant you just pick a side", not understanding that i like both men or women not that i can't decide

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I'm unemployed at the moment but when i was working i hated getting asked how's work? When i've been in a relationship and i'm just idly daydreaming and significant other ask's... What you thinking about?

Mainly those two nothing else comes to mind!

RazorRaptor9

Jun 17, 2011
I hate any obvious question. "What are you doing?" Well, obviously, I'm hunting fucking elephants, not reading this book that's in my hands.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Fieldy409 said:
I get constantly asked if im american because of the twang in my voice. Im not, Im AUSTRALIAN GODDAMIT!

...dont even sound like a real american....
Oh tell me about it. Everyone says I'm Irish. I sound nothing like an Irishmen. More Welsh than anything. I am Australian, and have been my whole life though. I blame being taken around the world when I was 6 months old and learning to talk, but W/E. It gets really. REALLY. Annoying.

Most annoying question? Any sort of small talk. How's your day, what've you been up to, you doing anything over the weekend, what do you plan do do when you're older, what is your favourite X, ANY small talk just frustrates me. Partly because everyone who asks that question is quite honestly looking for a specific type of answer that is similar to their own, whilst mine will usually be nothing like theirs and rather unpopular with the masses (Though its getting better. 9/10 people I know play Skyrim, even the non-Nerds. VICTORY! For Sovneguard [or however its spelt]!) and thus I will just say 'not much', or 'not bad', or some other generic 'not' answer, and partially because frankly I don't give two craps. Talk business, tell me a story, entertain me or engage me, and I'm fine. Ice breakers usually aren't entertaining or funny, and the small talk questions gauge as much information as simply looking at me will give. Start talking ABOUT something, I don't care what, and I'll have something to say, something to contribute, a story to tell. Ask me those generic questions, you'll get a generic response.

UncleUlty said:
While it's true everyone dies I still can't control the rate at which they die.
You can't LEGALLY control the rate at which they die. Go on a murdering rampage and I'm sure the cemetery will get more business. Might not end well for you but...

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
"What are you thinking about?" is a definite winner.

If I wanted to tell you I wouldn't be thinking it, I'd be saying it out loud. I'm not though, so fuck off.

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
"So why don't you have a boyfriend?"

Well, if I knew the answer to that maybe I would have one!

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
lRookiel said:
People ask my "Why are you vegetarian?"

And I have to explain for the UMPTEENTH TIME WHY!
I always imagined the worst question a vegetarian could get was "Don't you even eat X?" Where my question usually is a troll question to make fun of those who ask those questions right after they do (Don't you even eat bacon?!"

UncleUlty said:
I hate being asked what I'm doing today but only by my dad, I don't know why but it pisses me off so bad.

I hate when people ask what kind of blank are you into becasue nine times out of ten they don't really care about the answer they just think it will make the silence less awkward.

ALso a new one is What's your degree in because it invokes one of two reactions ewww,(which I don't mind) and why can't you find a job in a funeral home?People seem to think that becasue we all eventually die that this job is recession proof when it's not. While it's true everyone dies I still can't control the rate at which they die.
Whip out your weapon of choice and start controlling the rate people die right now.

OT: I don't like being asked what kind of games I play. I don't stick to a genre or one kind of play style. I play whatever appeals to me and there's no pattern to what I enjoy. Just because I enjoy Skies of Arcadia it doesn't mean I'll enjoy Final Fantasy or nowhere near that I like all RPGs.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Joccaren said:
Fieldy409 said:
I get constantly asked if im american because of the twang in my voice. Im not, Im AUSTRALIAN GODDAMIT!

...dont even sound like a real american....
Oh tell me about it. Everyone says I'm Irish. I sound nothing like an Irishmen. More Welsh than anything. I am Australian, and have been my whole life though. I blame being taken around the world when I was 6 months old and learning to talk, but W/E. It gets really. REALLY. Annoying.

Most annoying question? Any sort of small talk. How's your day, what've you been up to, you doing anything over the weekend, what do you plan do do when you're older, what is your favourite X, ANY small talk just frustrates me. Partly because everyone who asks that question is quite honestly looking for a specific type of answer that is similar to their own, whilst mine will usually be nothing like theirs and rather unpopular with the masses (Though its getting better. 9/10 people I know play Skyrim, even the non-Nerds. VICTORY! For Sovneguard [or however its spelt]!) and thus I will just say 'not much', or 'not bad', or some other generic 'not' answer, and partially because frankly I don't give two craps. Talk business, tell me a story, entertain me or engage me, and I'm fine. Ice breakers usually aren't entertaining or funny, and the small talk questions gauge as much information as simply looking at me will give. Start talking ABOUT something, I don't care what, and I'll have something to say, something to contribute, a story to tell. Ask me those generic questions, you'll get a generic response.

UncleUlty said:
While it's true everyone dies I still can't control the rate at which they die.
You can't LEGALLY control the rate at which they die. Go on a murdering rampage and I'm sure the cemetery will get more business. Might not end well for you but...
I find it funny that people who say people get there accents mixed up are all australian in this thread.

OT:Do You play CoD, arggh every person who doesen't game (or only plays Cod) that finds out that Im an avid gamer asks me this, I don't have anything against the game but Im more of an rpg type of guy.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Girl With One Eye said:
"So why don't you have a boyfriend?"

Well, if I knew the answer to that maybe I would have one!
Or when you do have a boyfriend, the obligatory 'so when are you moving in together/getting married etc...'

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
Due to being transgender, people ask me 'if I got it chopped off'. I usually respond, "Do you like when random strangers ask you about your private parts?" They then get super offended and are like 'I was just curious!!!' when you know they would not like to be asked the size and look of their privates. It is just cause they don't view tg people as real people and thus can be asked demeaning questions. Luckily, I pass flawlessly now so I never get asked that.

When I worked in a bookstore years ago, I would always get these questions.

When I'm shelving books on a ladder or using a scanner and I have a name tag "Do you work here?"
durrr noooo I shelve, set up displays, put on price labels for fun >.<

Customer brings over a just released hardcover book that is on the new releases table. "Is this in paperback?" Ugh, no it takes about half a year for it to go to paperback.

"Do you rent books?"
"Can I use a photo copier because I don't want to spend money on this book?"
Ummm we are a business and anyway the last one would be fairly illegal.

"Can you help me find this book that I don't know the name, title, subject?"
"What's the price?" they usually ask this as they are staring right at the price.

There are many others that I will need time to remember as I have blocked that horrible job from my mind. I'm glad to be in a job where I now get respect and I do something of value. (an ESL teacher)

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
TopazFusion said:
I absolutely hate being asked, when something I'm working on will be finished.

I HATE SETTING DEADLINES FOR MYSELF

I always fail to meet them.

So from now on, the answer is "when it's done".
Oh wow, nice to see someone from 3D Realms posting on the forums

[/joking]

I also hate being asked what my faourite ________ is, which is a stupid question, because I like different things for different reasons (e.g. with games, I love both Rayman Origins and Resistance 3, but for completely different reasons)

steampunk42

Nov 18, 2009
"so what's she like in bed?"
oddly enough its always my jerk uncles and cousins who ask this, to which i respond while reaching for a beer bottle that "i dont sleep around", or in some worse cases, "that isnt my girlfriend, thats just a friend" my god my extended family annoys me.