Quick help with 1st PC build

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
So I'm finally building my 1st computer. ;)

Anyway I put everything together( wires a bit messy but whatever) but when I tried to turn it on, nothing really happened. The fan for the PSU turned for a sec and stopped. I checked my cables and everything seemed to be connected correctly. I tried turning off the PSU and turning it on again then trying to start the computer again but the same this just keeps happening.

I know power is going to the mobo because I have a yellow light pop up on the mobo for the power switch. However, I don't know if that light should be yellow or green.

Could it be possible the my PSU is defective or is it something that I'm doing wrong?

BTW: the mobo is a Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007R21JJK/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1] and the psu is a Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS [http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builder-Series-Watt-CX600/dp/B0092ML0OC/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_d_1]

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
Take out everything except the CPU and PSU and see if it makes any difference (those are all it should need to simply power on) and clear the CMOS while you're at it. If it stays on, start putting it back together piece by piece, testing it each time in order to identify the faulty hardware if any (something could simply not be seated correctly so your hardware may be fine). If it still doesn't work properly reseat the CPU and unplug and replug the PSU connections to the motherboard and test it again. If it continues to fail with only the most base components then that means it's likely one of them is faulty or damaged (or you've still not assembled those components correctly).

It would be helpful if you were to list all of your components since it may be possible some of them are incompatible making them the actual cause of the problem (it is your first build after all). Also if you get an error code on the LCD display on the bottom right of the board post that too.

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
A common mistake of first time builders is forgetting to screw in the stand offs for the motherboard before screwing in the motherboard. Stand offs are those little gold screws that hold the motherboard off of the back plate of the case. If you forgot those and the MoBo is touching the back of your case, that might be why it's not working. The stand offs screw directly into the back plate of the case. Check for that, is my only advice I can think of the previous poster didn't mention.

This page has a picture of them: http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/278424/build-a-mean-productivity-machine-for-under-1k/13 [http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/278424/build-a-mean-productivity-machine-for-under-1k/13]

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
xXSnowyXx said:
Take out everything except the CPU and PSU and see if it makes any difference (those are all it should need to simply power on) and clear the CMOS while you're at it. If it stays on, start putting it back together piece by piece, testing it each time in order to identify the faulty hardware if any (something could simply not be seated correctly so your hardware may be fine). If it still doesn't work properly reseat the CPU and unplug and replug the PSU connections to the motherboard and test it again. If it continues to fail with only the most base components then that means it's likely one of them is faulty or damaged (or you've still not assembled those components correctly).

It would be helpful if you were to list all of your components since it may be possible some of them are incompatible making them the actual cause of the problem (it is your first build after all). Also if you get an error code on the LCD display on the bottom right of the board post that too.
Thanks snowy did what you said and i figured out that I had plug in a cord to a sys fan port on the mobo. After I unplugged that and plugged everything else back in I got everything booted up perfectly! THANK YOU!

My first computer build has been successful!