Quick Question for Avatar: The Last Airbender Fans:

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
A good show, but there's a problem with the overarching plot of this new series. There really doesn't seem to be one. I think this mostly stems off the fact that it was only supposed to be one season long and 14 episodes long instead of 12.

I liked it. I think it recognizes that most of the fans of the original show are now in their late teens at the very least, and it nicely injected a tad bit more maturity into than the previous series. It does need to work on a few things. Setting, for one. You're stuck in the same city for the entirety of the first season, which got boring to look at.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
Legend of Korra rushes headlong through plots and anything you can think of. Other than that it's still got the charm of Avatar. I loved the episodes I watched. Main complaint is connected to the first part of the post. Dramatic event toward the end of the first season...It's solved in about 1 episode. Killed any sort of suspense or weight of the moment.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Something that's really annoying about alot of these posts is that you forget that the series is what? A couple episodes long?

Avatar:TLA had literally hundreds. You can't compare the pacing and time-frame like that.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
The pacing is off, they try to fit as much personality and character in one season where the original took 3. Too many new characters and new dynamics to rely on the established setting and should have been padded out better. Seriously, what took half a season to hint at the real crises at hand in Last Airbender, was planted in the first 3 episodes and promptly resolves itself at the end of that season, which was only 13 episodes long.

But the bar was set pretty high to begin with.

That said, Korra is still top notch stuff. Great animation and action, the world is still amazing and the evolution of it works so well. The characters are still Endearing and charming with very human qualities and flaws. Korra as a character is fantastic.

Aside from the pacing issues, it also seemed to get some flak over how a particular romantic arc was handled, but I found it to be a very mature subject matter with a believable outcomes that was more sour grapes then happily ever after.

Again, the major gripe with the series was pacing. But I think it excelled at other things too. It deals with more mature subject matters then the original series and humour of the series is based far more heavily around character interplay then general goofyness or Sokka-isms. That isn't to say there isn't goofyness or Sokka-isms, but there is a lot more going on with the humour then throwaway gags which were used heavily in the The Last Airbender.

I suppose it's shortness is both its strength and weakness. On the one hand, it's far more focused and there is less fillery material to pad out each episode. That means most of what happens serves an over all purpose. Unfortunately, that also means there is less time to really forget about the crises at hand and just enjoy the characters as they find ways to add levity to their burdens. TLA was great for that.

It can never take the spotlight from TLA, but Korra can be an enjoyable watch on its own as an expansion of the TLA universe, rather then an attempt to ape its success.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
It is definitely a worthy successor to the original. As people have mentioned, the pacing does sometimes seem a bit off but it isn't usually too much of a problem.

Winterbird said:
The Legend of Korra has much more flaws compared to Avatar, but for some reason I found it almost equally enjoyable to watch. It's definitely not a cash-in and you should check it out.
Maybe it has something to do with the guy as your avatar pic? :)

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Legend of Korra is good. Not quite as good as Avatar, but a worthy follow up. The more industrial city locale and the class struggles made it feel almost more like the world of a Bioshock game than the world of the Last Avatar. It's an interesting change but one that can e a little off putting.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Korra really advanced the universe and it is quite a good continuation of LoA. I really love the setting and the main villain. Setting is really unique, some kind of mix of New York, Steampunk and bending. Amon is the main villain and he is freaking awesome! He is skillful, mysterious, intimidating and always has a plan. Plus, he is voiced by Steve Blum.
The main problem is god damned, stupid love triangle between main characters. It is so unnecessary and badly implemented that it may actually detract from the experience.
However, on the whole, it's still really good.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Just finished up the series and I gotta say I really enjoyed it. Good characters, good character development, good storytelling, all that fun stuff. My question is whether The Legend of Korra is worth getting into or not. Is it a worthy sequel-series to Avatar? Or is it just a cash-in to try and catch lightning in a bottle twice and ride the coattails of the first series' success? I'd really like to see another story in that world, but if it's just a cash-in then I don't want it to drag the name of the first series through the mud. :p
I'll save my judgement untill the story is done. For now, it isnt as awesome as the original, but the sequel seldom is.

Some stuff might actually be better, but I just dont find the characters nearly as good. The story is quite interesting though. If you liked the first, there is no reason to not see LoK.

Give it a shot :)

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I like it overall. The music is amazing, which makes me sad that there probably won't be a soundtrack, the fights are great, and the characters are really interesting. The actual plot stuff is really weird, and a lot of stuff seems to come out of nowhere. Some people complain about the heavier focus on romance and teenage drama but since the cast is older than the cast of TLA, it just seems like something that comes with the territory so to speak, at least to me.

Dirty Hipsters said:
I really liked the first season of Legend of Korra, and so did all my friends who watched it. There's a universal criticism of the show, it's pacing, which is a totally valid criticism. The thing is, originally the show was only supposed to be a one off, a single season, which is why everything had to be wrapped up so quickly, and why the pacing was screwy. It was only later, once the show was already coming out that nickelodeon decided to make it a full 3 season run. So hopefully the second season (coming out this month if I remember correctly) will have better pacing. Definitely isn't a cash in though.
I thought it was two seasons and maybe a movie? The way they have it now the naming scheme for the seasons is neat and tidy, with Korra having Air, which TLA didn't get to have because Aang already knew it, and Spirit, which kind of goes with that 5th element things that they explored a tiny bit at the end of TLA. What would a 6th book be?

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
IMO it was rushed and pro-bending took up WAY too much of their already limited time. If they had reduced or just altogether cut probending I think it would have worked much better. As it is, it's a fine show (very dark, too), but book 1 was rushed. Hopefully Book 2 won't be like that and will be AMAZING.

sweetylnumb

Sep 4, 2011
beatboxingforthedeaf said:
Legend of Korra is garbage. Give it a crack but don't expect much. It had a huge amount of potential but it let itself down with shit characters (they are absolute fucking **** with Mako's character being mind-blowingly bad), terrible pacing, fucking terrible ass-pulls and just a complete fucking let down. The fandom is also just shit house, the fans being 16 year old tumblr girls and because of "muh strong female characters" riddled with social justice clinger-ons.
Bit silly since she spends most of the first season mooning over an angsty boy and ignoring her kind hearted male best friend who's obviously totally in love with her.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
Angelblaze said:
Something that's really annoying about alot of these posts is that you forget that the series is what? A couple episodes long?

Avatar:TLA had literally hundreds. You can't compare the pacing and time-frame like that.
Er...The Last Airbender had three seasons, each 20 episodes in length, with one "extra" episode during the show's finale. That's 61 episodes total, not "literally hundreds." While Legend of Korra had a shorter first season than that 20-episode average (12 episodes) and it was originally planned to be a mini-series instead of a more full-blown television production like its predecessor, neither series was originally confirmed by Nick for full runs; that's why Book One of The Last Airbender is considerably choppier and disconnected compared to the other two seasons. In both cases the creators had to adjust the show due to uncertainty or a change in plans. I think it's reasonable to say The Last Airbender did so much more elegantly.