Quotes from fictional characters that made you stop and think or have stuck with you.

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
Every point of view is useful, even those that are wrong - if we can judge why a wrong view was accepted.

We do not comprehend the organic fascination of self-poisoning, auditory damage and sexually transmitted disease.

How could we have become so different? Why can we no longer understand each other? What did we do wrong?

Legion Mass Effect 2

GARRUS VAKARIAN
A hospital not a good place to fight in.
COMMANDER SHEPARD
So... what is good place to fight?
GARRUS VAKARIAN
Gardens. Electronic stores. Antique shops, but only if they're classy...
Garrus/Shepard ME2

You know me, I always like to savor the last shot before popping the heat sink. [long, awkward pause] Wait... that metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Garrus's Romance Dialogue

"Somebody's going to have to turn off that volcano."
Optimus Prime. (cartoon.)

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
bean burrito said:
I'll paraphrase, because I'm too lazy to track down the exact wording, but:
"Never forget what you are, for the world will not. Armor yourself in it, for then nobody can use it against you'
-Tyrion Lannister
In the vain of Game of Thrones, I was quite fond of "A small man can cast a very large shadow"

Perhaps it was the way it was delivered, but that one sent shivers down me timbers.

"You rush a miracle worker, you get lousy miracles" or "time after time, history demonstrates that when people don't want to believe something, they have enormous skills of ignoring it altogether.?

Both from the Dresden Files.

platinawolf

Oct 27, 2009
No matter how dark the night, morning always comes, and our journey begins anew.
-Lulu Final Fantasy X

No matter how bad a situation, it will eventually solve itself and you can carry on :p

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
"You get the same thing everyone gets. You get a lifetime." - Death of the Endless (somewhat paraphrased)

RobDaBank

Nov 16, 2011
Could somebody please post the poem Ashley says at Huerta Hospital in ME3? The one about not giving up. I can't find it anywhere...

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
?The power to cause pain is the only power that matters, the power to kill and destroy, because if you can't kill then you are always subject to those who can, and nothing and no one will ever save you.? -Ender Wiggin

"Every place is somebody's home, pal, but it doesn't stop people from going to war. I don't start wars; I didn't start this one. It seems like it's your fellow Africans that want each other dead. Besides, why should I give a shit about your home? Why should anyone? You want me to go somewhere else? So there's someone's home you don't give a shit about?" -The Jackal (He has a lot of good lines.)

(paraphrased) "Oh God. Red. I'm so sorry. Are you happy now?" -Phillip (Penumbra.)

Probably the saddest line I can think of in anything. Ever. Even though he only says it in his head.

There's another one I can't remember, but it's a line from a play. Basically the character talks about how the best way to deceive someone is to tell them the truth. Then he says that he's a liar and that he's going to burn the man's house down.

The man dismisses it as a joke, and gets his house burned down.

Problem, Biedermann?

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
"Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have gone like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow. The days have come down in the west, behind the hills into shadow. How did it come to this?"
-Theodén, King of Rohan. LOTR.

did it by memory so it might be a little wrong...I'm a massive LOTR fan so probably not though.

Also for some reason, "No there aren't! Because you only have one life, but you can pick up another five causes on any street corner!"
-Rincewind the wiz(z)ard on the subject of causes worth dying for. Discworld novels, Interesting times.

Chiasm

Aug 27, 2008
Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

AM- I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream.

It's amazing how much that one paragraph alone can set the story for the rest of the game to follow.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
"We all have our delusions" - Aria T'loak.

Eve, the female krogan, says something about turning on a light and there will be darkness no more, but I forgot the exact wording.

Those are the ones I remember right now...

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
"Miracles...The humans' belief system that makes the impossible possible. The power that protects Filgaia...Looks like this is the end. Did I lose? No, I did not...I lived a life of a Demon Warrior! I fought and lost my life...I was not defeated...I lived a life of my own dreams. I have lived...I have no regrets. I am a winner. My death is glorious."

- Bommerang Flash, Wild ARMs 1

"The Mana tree is the source of unlimited power, but...what it really does is remind us that the power is found within. It's not the materialistic wealth missing from our lives. It's love."

"All is reborn when you forgive love, and understand."

- Pokiehl "Wisdom of Truth", Legend of Mana

"Humans were NEVER born to fight and steal! We were born to open up the same path TOGETHER!"

- Justin, Grandia 1

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
''There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always - do not forget this, Winston - always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.''

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Cowboy Bebop

"Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about."

"Is not the human body a mere shell, a form of existence all too small and weak for consciousness with such vast reach and potential?"

Firefly

"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that...You find someone to carry you."

The Dark Tower

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire" - Roland Deschain, of Gilead.

The man in black smiled. "Shall we tell the truth then, you and I? No more lies?"
"I thought we had been."
But the man in black persisted as if Roland hadn't spoken. "Shall there be truth between us, as two men? Not as friends, but as equals? There is an offer you will get rarely, Roland. Only equals speak the truth, that's my thought on it. Friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web of regard. How tiresome!"

Rocknrolla

Johnny Quid: You see that pack of Virginia killing sticks on the end of the piano?

Pete: Yes.

Johnny Quid: All you need to know about life is retained in those four walls.
You will notice that one of your personalities is seduced by the illusions of grandeur - the gold packet of king size with a regal insignia, an attractive implication towards grandeur and wealth, the subtle suggestion that cigarettes are indeed your royal and loyal friends, and that, Pete, is a lie.

Your other personality is trying to draw your attention to the flip side of the discussion, written in boring bold black and white, it's a statement that these neat little soldiers of death and in fact trying to kill you and that, Pete, is the truth.

Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren.
That which starts sweet ends bitter, and that which starts bitter ends sweet.
That is why you and i love the drugs and that is also why I cannot give that painting back. now please, pass me a light (or lie).

Pete: Oh you are something special, Mr johnny quid.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
"When I was a young man, I had liberty but I did not see it; I Had time but I did not know it; and I had love but I did not feel it. Many decades would pass before I understood the meaning of all three."
Ezio Auditorie Da Firenze

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
"We do not experience fear, but we understand how it affects you"
"Organics do not CHOOSE to fear us, it is a function of your hardware"
- Legion, from an old Mass effect 2 trailer.

"Your technology is based on that of the mass relays, OUR technology. By using it, your society develops along the paths we desire"
"Your words are as empty as your future"
"The cycle has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Organic civilizations rise, evolve,advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished"
"Reaper? A label created by the Protheans to give voice to their destruction. In the end, what they choose to call us, is irrelevant. We simply...are."
"We have no beginning. We have no end. We are infinite. Millions of years after your civilization have been eradicated and forgotten, we will endure"
-Sovereign, a reaper from Mass effect.

"Human, you've changed nothing. Your species has the attention of those infinitely your greater"
"You have failed. We will find another way. Releasing control"
"Your fight against inevitability, DUST struggling against cosmic winds"
"Know this as you die in vane, your time WILL come, your species WILL fall. Prepare yourself for the arrival..."
-Harbinger, another reaper from Mass effect 2