Quotes that Matter to You

Jul 9, 2011
"She told me everyone can know everything Destiny knows. And more than that. She said we all not only COULD know everything, we DO. We just tell ourselves we don't to make it all bearable."

"She is. Um. Right. Kind of. Not knowing is all that makes it okay, sometimes."
"Our existence deforms the universe. THAT'S responsibility."

EDIT:

MysticSlayer said:
Wraith said:
Doesn't the Bible condone rape in certain passages?
No, it never condones rape. It does give an odd punishment for it in Deuteronomy, in which a rapist is forced to pay the bride price for her and take her as his wife. After that, the details are debatable, but passages in 2 Samuel seem to indicate that the "marriage" was only a custom that legally bound the rapist to financially support the woman for the rest of her life. Technically, she could leave him and do whatever she wanted, and he would still be forced to financially support her.
This isn't nearly as uncommon ("odd," as you put it) as you might think. It was and still is practiced all over the world, even in otherwise modern cultures. I don't have much more to say about that; I just wanted to correct your use of descriptor.

dodged

Mar 28, 2011
There's a few, one of the most recent ones would be at the end of Jon S Baird's adaptation of Irvine Welsh's 'Filth';

'Sometimes it takes a wrong doing to show you that you're doing wrong.'

And then there's practically every other line from the watchmen, movie or graphic novel, both stand;

'When you left me, I left Earth,does that not show you that I care?'

I can't really think of any game quotes at the minute...

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
MysticSlayer said:
Wraith said:
No, it never condones rape. It does give an odd punishment for it in Deuteronomy, in which a rapist is forced to pay the bride price for her and take her as his wife. After that, the details are debatable, but passages in 2 Samuel seem to indicate that the "marriage" was only a custom that legally bound the rapist to financially support the woman for the rest of her life. Technically, she could leave him and do whatever she wanted, and he would still be forced to financially support her.
"But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you."- Deuteronomy 20:13-14

the bible condones rape in the instances of warfare, and slavery.(Judges & Numbers for outher example) This was also not uncommon. Rape has been a tool of war and intemdation for a long time.

Wraith said:
A few times

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
"Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source. True humility is the only antidote to shame." - Iroh, A:TLA

Sure it's a quote from a cartoon that I could probably find a similar, better, source for from history, but I heard it there first and it really stuck with me. I do my best to avoid feelings of pride, although that often clashes with typical American sensibilities, especially in the American military.

Similarly: "You will learn respect, and suffering will be your teacher," said by Ozai from the same show, taken out of its horrifying context is actually a pretty good lesson to learn as well.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
?I want you to remember, that no poor dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it, by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.?
― George S. Patton Jr., War as I Knew It

This is philosophy I live by, intentions and nobility count for nothing, the world is results driven. A futile gesture is just that futile.
Not to say symbolic action has no meaning, for the war analogy, if your symbolic action inspires people to do more than you could have done otherwise, then yes by all means, preform that symbolic action.
Otherwise you are just an interesting anecdote in a history book.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Well you can't ever go wrong with the lord of wit, the king of charm, the Ayatollah of the English language, the current incarnation of Oscar Wilde, I speak of no other than the great Stephen Fry:

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
"Wisdom above all else". Most things can be accomplished, and most errors can be avoided, with wisdom.
Not sure where it comes from, or if I just butchered it from "Balance above all else".

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
2012 Wont Happen said:
A witty quote proves nothing - Voltaire

It is the best of all quotes.
Also among the truest, I've actually had the chance to use it against a smart ass, it was almost orgasmic.

OT: another person I love to death would be Marcus Aurelius:

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Take away thy opinion, and then there is taken away the complaint, "I have been harmed." Take away the complaint, "I have been harmed," and the harm is taken away.

And Proverbs 16:16:

How much better to get wisdom than gold, to get insight rather than silver!

Arrogancy

Jun 9, 2009
An old favorite:

Truer words were never spoken. Then there's a quote my father rather likes that I'm also rather fond of, that I don't have a picture of, it's by Mark Heidegger, "We lead inauthentic lives." I'll unpack that one a bit. No one lives life objectively, everyone has a fiction of reality that they tell themselves, and it typically resembles real life, but it isn't. There are a ton more quotes that I love, but I'll suffice to leave those two there.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of any particular interest. But for us, it's different. Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there ? on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity ? in all this vastness ? there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known, so far, to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment, the Earth is where we make our stand. It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.
?Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space, 1997 reprint, pp. xv?xvi

It goes well with the image:
(The little spec of blue is Earth, the image is the farthest picture of Earth ever taken.)

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don?t learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us. Cynics always say no. But saying yes begins things. Saying yes is how things grow. Saying yes leads to knowledge. "Yes" is for young people. So for as long as you have the strength to, say yes.
-Stephen Colbert, Knox College Commencement Address, 2006

I'm fond of this one. I think it really speaks to how we can make a difference, be it in our own lives, the lives of others, or even on a country-wide or global scale. Nobody ever improved the world by being a cynic; those with optimism for what can be, tempered by knowledge and realism for what must be done to get there but still optimism nonetheless, have. Decay is guaranteed when improvement isn't even attempted.

And this reminds me of another, by Bruce Lee (slightly cut down to the meaningful bit)

"In great attempts, it is glorious even to fail"

THeFraz

Oct 31, 2011
@Redlin5 I'm surprised you wouldn't go all horse crazy on them

"Fear plays an interesting role in our lives. How dare we let it motivate us. How dare we let it into our decision making, into our lively-hoods, into our relationships. It's funny isn't it? We take a day a year to dress up in costume and celebrate fear." - Robert California aka James Spader in The Office

This quote is from a later season episode (7? 8? Don't remember) but it really struck me, and was poignant for the closing of an episode.

"If I could have it back
All the time that we wasted
I'd only waste it again...
Well, I've got to ask
Sometimes I can't believe it
I'm moving past the feeling again" - Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (Cont.)

The inevitability of moving past the longing for our memories as we are kids and teenagers without a care in the world. At some point in our lives, we have to grow up and move on with our lives. The quote is very melancholy and I still get emotional thinking about this stage of life.

Xenedus

Nov 9, 2010
MysticSlayer said:
Wraith said:
Except, you know, marrying anyone else or having sex with anyone but her "husband". Let's not pretend it was rainbows and sunshine.

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
I think the only quote that really resonates with me is something my grandfather told me when I was a kid about why he wasn't upset that he lost his thumb while building someone's house:

"If you work with your hands, and you come home clean, dry and smelling fresh, you've done something wrong. Working with your hands isn't about being clean or dry, it's about getting fucking dirty and getting it done right."

he said that he might have lost his thumb, but if he'd not kept going, that person would have lost a HOME. It's stuck with me all my life, I mean come on, the man lost his THUMB and his attitude about it was "oh well, the house was more important" that's devotion to your work.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
"I?ve learned that happiness is rather like unhappiness. It can strike at any time without warning."

"There is nothing either good or evil, but thinking makes it so."

"Sometimes the best way to solve your own problems is to help someone else."

"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."

I like these ones in particular. They remind me that the world is a much larger place than many of us can imagine sometimes.

That you and me as individuals while small in the grand scheme of things, still have control over ourselves and our immediate surroundings.

It's the little details of life that make it good. That moving through life and the stages of life does not mean you must throw away what you have learned before.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
"Your happiness should not cause the misery of others"

"Rules cannot remove human nature after all, only suppress it."

"There is no right and wrong, only circumstances."

"The world is full of shit, you can either do your best to tread it, or start eating.

Really nice quotes, the first one really speaks to me...
The others are just kinda things to keep in mind, not to feel safe behind rules, not to judge people too quickly based on actions, and not to give up since giving up only makes things worse.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
"But that is the nature of fear. It sides with the thing we are afraid of."
George MacDonald, from The Princess and the Goblin

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
chiggerwood said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
A witty quote proves nothing - Voltaire

It is the best of all quotes.
Also among the truest, I've actually had the chance to use it against a smart ass, it was almost orgasmic.

OT: another person I love to death would be Marcus Aurelius:

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Take away thy opinion, and then there is taken away the complaint, "I have been harmed." Take away the complaint, "I have been harmed," and the harm is taken away.

And Proverbs 16:16:

How much better to get wisdom than gold, to get insight rather than silver!
Aaw man, you missed my favorite Marcus Aurelius quote:
"If there is a god and he is just, he will take every good soul to his side regardless of faith. If there is a god and he is unjust, he deserves not your worship. If there is no god at all, you can still lead a noble life and be remembered for your deeds."

Also:"The more I get to know people, the more I prefer the company of dogs"- Mark Twain.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
A concept I wish more people adhered to, so maybe there'd be fewer stupid arguments on the internet.

"I am tired of Earth. These people. I'm tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives." - Dr. Manhattan
I can relate to this one, having suffered streams of unending bile and ceaseless complications from most people around me.