R.U.S.E. Getting Free DLC From Ubisoft

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
R.U.S.E. Getting Free DLC From Ubisoft

If you own R.U.S.E., then Ubisoft is giving you an early Holiday treat: free DLC for the game.

Ubisoft seems to be using R.U.S.E. as a bit of an experiment. Aside from using the title as a test system for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102739-Ubisoft-Abandons-DRM-for-Steamworks-With-R-U-S-E>replacing the publisher's much-reviled DRM software in place of Steamworks, Ubisoft has now revealed that it's got a fairly hefty DLC pack, dubbed "The Manhattan Project Pack", coming out for free.

The pack is set to feature three new multiplayer maps and two new multiplayer game modes: "Nuclear War" and "Total War". In Nuclear War, all prototype factories and upgrades are available at the match's start, meaning that the action starts insane and only gets crazier. Total War, meanwhile, "sees you starting in 1939 with all units specific to that era. You'll then unlock 1942 units and 1945 units step by step."

No definite release date has been revealed yet, but Ubisoft is promising that The Manhattan Project Pack will be available at some point in December. The free content isn't terribly surprising, seeing as how the game hasn't sold terribly well, despite <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/R.U.S.E./results>earning some high praise from critics. Whether or not this manages to get some more people to buy the game remains to be seen, but it probably can't hurt Ubisoft's chances of getting more people to play R.U.S.E..

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-17-free-r-u-s-e-dlc-incoming>Eurogamer

Estoki

May 25, 2010
I don't see why they bother, DLC isn't going to fix the fact that the game is terrible.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Ubisoft dishing out anything for free just does not compute, seriously, I think my brain just broke.

At any rate, I don't see DLC changing the fact that the game is just straight up boring, bland even, a perfect example of a good idea executed incredibly poorly.
Though hooray for the people who did buy it, I guess?

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Thanks Ubisoft! How about free DLC so saaaaaay Assassins Creed 2, you know, a game people actually play!

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
R.U.S.E. Still exists?
Between this and the four or five Steam Free weekends it's had, I kind of feel bad for it, they're trying so hard to get people to buy this game.

Apr 28, 2008
Well good on them I guess.

I'm still waiting for them to replace their awful DRM system. R.U.S.E. was a start, but I'm gonna need some more before I take down my "no buying Ubisoft games when their insanely stupid DRM is in place" system. I don't see AC: Brotherhood in Steam, so I'm assuming they haven't stopped using their stupid DRM system.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I liked the game, it was a different take on RTS, and frankly, with the underproduction of RTS nowadays I'll take what I can get.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
I liked R.U.S.E., but I liked World in Conflict a lot more. I feel like I'm OK to only have 1 real-time tactics game in my system, since playing multiple ones tends to be confusing.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
vansau said:
Whether or not this manages to get some more people to buy the game remains to be seen, but it probably can't hurt Ubisoft's chances of getting more people to play R.U.S.E..
As long as you're paying attention, then I'm sure the prospect of free DLC will get a few more people involved. I think they're going to have a rough time marketing DLC, free or not, to sell a game though. Maybe Ubisoft can do this with all their games now, as a way of apologising for crappy DRM.

Still, good for the people who already have it, I suppose.

James B Hamster

Apr 15, 2009
Man, this really must have flown under the radar (no pun intended, judging from the screenshot) because this is literally the first I've ever heard of this game. Good on R.U.S.E. owners, I should suppose.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
I think Ruse is the best RTS we've seen since CoH. Unlike most RTS games, it's strategically deep, and actually creative. The singleplayer campaign sucks really bad ? but the multiplayer is magnificent.

That said, I'm not too excited about some 'free DLC'. As long as I've been playing RTS games I've gotten free map packs, the only difference now being that some people do put up with paying good money for minor additions to a game.

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
Irridium said:

I'm still waiting for them to replace their awful DRM system. R.U.S.E. was a start, but I'm gonna need some more before I take down my "no buying Ubisoft games when their insanely stupid DRM is in place" system. I don't see AC: Brotherhood in Steam, so I'm assuming they haven't stopped using their stupid DRM system.
not out on pc yet.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
When they started to see that Japanese games like Dragon Ball Raging Blast, and Dynasty Warriors 6 empires just to name a few, were getting better sales ( FREE DLC ) i think someone had a good idea.... let's hope for the best.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Ravek said:
I think Ruse is the best RTS we've seen since CoH. Unlike most RTS games, it's strategically deep, and actually creative. The singleplayer campaign sucks really bad ? but the multiplayer is magnificent.

That said, I'm not too excited about some 'free DLC'. As long as I've been playing RTS games I've gotten free map packs, the only difference now being that some people do put up with paying good money for minor additions to a game.
what? the multiplayer is full of trolls, exploiters, and griefers. RUSE truly is the epitome of a horrible, horrible multiplayer.
You find those in any multiplayer game that exists. Despite what people claim they do not all lurk in CoD. I found more in TF2 honestly.

Apr 28, 2008
wasalp said:
Irridium said:

not out on pc yet.
Ah.

Well time will tell then I guess.

NEVRINx54

Nov 12, 2009
i hate RTS games but, i actually really like RUSE... simplistic, but not "special" like halo wars...