Race/Ethnicty in Attraction and Dating

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Do you date outside your race? If so how often?
Hot is hot.

How do you view racial preferences as whole? (in society)

For my society? I think people use the term preference incorrectly. There is a difference between something not being your preference and not liking something. I like both spinach and kale. I prefer spinach out of the two but if the kale's all that is there(and if it is prepared well) then I'll eat it. I like collard greens, but mustard greens are too bitter. I would never eat mustard greens, and not because I've never tried them. Dosen't matter how they are prepared, I don't like them.

My understanding of this issue may come from my experience as a Black straight woman in America. But sometimes when a man says he doesn't prefer a race of women he commonly means that he doesn't like them. Guess some figure since the word preference is softer it will make them look better by using it. But he just doesn't like them, just like I don't like mustard greens. I think I've come to dislike the lack of honesty more than anything else. Just say it out right.

Sometimes, unlike my dislike of mustard greens, that dislike comes from lack of knowledge. It's weird, but it's happened so many times to me that by now I can recognize the signs. Attraction isn't all visual. If they saw me in a picture they wouldn't be attracted to me at all. I am pretty sure of that because I'm not striking for a Black woman in American culture. Meaning that I don't have light skin, light eyes, or "good" hair. I wouldn't call myself ugly. Just that I fit the stereotypical look for a black woman. However, after a good conversation they find themselve attracted to me. We'd have similar values or just good chemistry or whatever. And like a dingus they'ed ruin things by admitting that they'd never been attracted to a Black girl before asking me out.

I can always tell without them saying so, but something about them not being socially aware enough to not say so kills my willingness to let it slide. I don't think they realize that by saying so they sound as if they are speaking to a magical creature instead of a woman. It's worse when the admission is followed up by an explanation of how unlike other black women I am...Which is a sure sign that they haven't had too many real conversations with Black women at all. Which is where the unconscious racism comes in. Cuz no shit we aren't all loud, angry and ghetto. Yes this sometimes happens with Black men...which is worse because they commonly have Black women in their life. So I know i've dodged a bullet on that one. They should know better but are letting their own negative experiences cloud their judgment. They might even be the issue. What's the saying? If you run into an asshole in the morning you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.

The other group, the group that is like my dislike of mustard greens. I swear they could be faced with the most stunning examples from around the globe but it wouldn't make them budge. They like what they like and that's fair enough I guess.

Do you find yourself attracted or not attracted to certain race or races?

Not races more skintones. I tend to prefer men with darker skin tones. But hot is hot so I have no issues with lighter skinned men.

Can you describe why you might have these preferences/dislikes?

Nope

Do you think your mind has changed about any of this from the past or is subject to change in the future?

My personal preferences haven't changed but how I've understood others has.

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Chareater said:
If I said "I don't find blacks attractive" thats not me saying blacks are ugly. Thats me saying I personally don't find them attractive.
I don't know, depends on context. Pretty sure you might find you have racist parents if it's one of the first things they say when they meet your SO.

Also, pretty sure you might have homophobic parents as a gay man if they try to push women on you even after you come out of the closet. Not sexist, definitely iffy on the homophobia.

See? Context.
Manic's point was that if you ever say "I don't find blacks attractive" you are racist no matter the context.

manic_depressive13 said:
but I reckon the instant you decide to announce it is the instant it becomes grossly racist. Maybe instead of insisting you're not racist because "it's just how I feel!" you can grow a filter and learn not to vocalise every thought or opinion you have.
The examples you give I agree are probably Racist/Homophobic. But my argument is just saying "I don't find blacks attractive" is not in of itself racist.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Chareater said:
The examples you give I agree are probably Racist/Homophobic. But my argument is just saying "I don't find blacks attractive" is not in of itself racist.
The relevant context in this case would be historical context. The history of sexism, horrible as it is, doesn't involve portraying one sex as repulsively unattractive and encouraging the other sex not to breed with them lest they cause humanity to degenerate. Sex and race are treated very differently by society.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Chareater said:
Guess so? I mean even then you're expected to have a filter. Depending on tone and context alone. The important question is why those words are coming up. If it's just something between friends it might be awkward enough, something you just blurt out in public and you might as well take that awkward meter and shift it fifty bars up. It's always dumb to assume meaning when meaning can be defined as vague but ditto it's a bit incredulous not gor people to lift an eyebrow. Same way if I was going for a job interview and my boss was juggling fruit in clown make up. It's going to look stupid anywhere outside of applying for the circus.

huckleberryhound

Nov 19, 2009
Thaluikhain said:
Chareater said:
How the fuck can you compare saying "I don't find black people attractive" to "All jews are money grubbing."

The first one is about attraction, its not a insult to the race like the second one.

If I said "I won't date blacks because they smell" that is racist, but saying "blacks just aren't my type" isn't.
You are making a judgement about that race, compared to other races. That is racist.

Again, that's not to say that, in of itself, that's really a problem.
That's just not true. Sexual attraction is not something we can control...If you like big butts, then you can't be called racist against people with small butts. If it don't get you going, it's not prejudice to say so ESPECIALLY when responding to an enquiry such as this thread.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
huckleberryhound said:
Thaluikhain said:
Chareater said:
How the fuck can you compare saying "I don't find black people attractive" to "All jews are money grubbing."

The first one is about attraction, its not a insult to the race like the second one.

If I said "I won't date blacks because they smell" that is racist, but saying "blacks just aren't my type" isn't.
You are making a judgement about that race, compared to other races. That is racist.

Again, that's not to say that, in of itself, that's really a problem.
That's just not true. Sexual attraction is not something we can control...If you like big butts, then you can't be called racist against people with small butts. If it don't get you going, it's not prejudice to say so ESPECIALLY when responding to an enquiry such as this thread.
Its a bit muddled because of how society effects our thinking. And no matter how individualistic we think we are it does effect us all.

So what if you lived in a country where big butts were considered conventionally attractive? So every female love interest in a movie, every magazine cover, every beauty contestant, since you were a child, had a big butt. What if there was a race of people who stereotypically have small butts and also have a history of oppression. What if that group of small assed people were considered unattractive since that country began? Yeah one could just like big butts...they could also subconsciously be effected by their societies biases. Cuz that's how bias works, its not always a conscious decision.

Of course not liking small butts doesn't really relate to the scale of disliking an entire race. Lots of people have big butts so that wouldn't stop someone form dating across racial lines. But in an American context the race that is low on the totem pole for attractiveness among straight men is usually Black. Incidentally that is the race has been hyper masculinenized and sexualized in popular culture. And on the other side of the equation Asian men are low on the totem pole for straight American women. Incidentally in American culture Asians are either hyper feminized or treated like robots. That pattern is what leads people to further assume some level of bias. We can all at least see how terribly convenient it is that a large percentage of folks have likes and dislikes that align with their culture. You don't have to call it racism but it isn't exactly natural. All societies do it. Pick a country, look at the type that always appears as a love interest in their media and then ask around for the visual type those folk have. Its gonna match up.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Frokane said:
Do you date outside your race? If so how often?
I did once. A girl from the philippines I met in college. All the other people I've dated have been of European descendent, and guys.

Frokane said:
How do you view racial prefrences as whole? (in society)
People find attraction to different sexes, races, hair colours, eye colours, whatever really. Nothing wrong with having tastes.

Frokane said:
Do you find yourself attracted or not attracted to certain race or races?
Yeah, I guess. I mean, when it comes to attraction, certain facial features, hair colours and so on tend to be the biggest things people find attraction to, and these are more prevalent in some races than others.

Frokane said:
Can you describe why you might have these prefrences/dislikes?
Same reason I like guys over girls, I guess. Just one of those weird brain things.

Frokane said:
Do you think your mind has changed about any of this from the past or is subject to change in the future?
Unlikely.