Racism

ek599

May 27, 2009
It seems to me that everyone these days is worrying about racism. Whether it be in games or in real life, racism is the one thing people turn to when a black person is at all envisioned. Whether it be Barack Obama, with the Harvard professor and the policemen (http://boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/07/harvard.html), or in games like 'Resident Evil 5' and even 'Left 4 Dead 2' (http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/D8D97229-7E1B-4DF6-8109-2F84919CDC7D.htm), i think the racism card is being pulled way too easily. Seriously, folks, it's not like it's the end of the world to use a black person in a game where the setting is inhabited mostly BY blacks. But that's my opinion. What's yours?

Ignignokt

May 7, 2009
I'm curious to know if there's a phobia term for the fear of being called a racist yet.

iggyus

Apr 18, 2009
This racism thing is waaay too overcomplicated by now. It seems that some people simply cannot be happy with their lives if they cant accuse someone of racism

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
its basically an Ace people use to get whatever they want

its being used alot now, i remember the old days, the race card was used so much more beautiful and cunningly.

pompom8volt

May 21, 2009
In my opinion people are so sensitive to racism that it has become it's own form of racism.

Edit: I actuely had a thread almost exactly like this yesterday... or was it the day before that?

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
people have become so thin skinned. i don't mind when they stereotype a white hick biker with tattoos or any other WHITE stereotype they use. people honestly need to be able to laugh at themselves and other people who act stupid or high-lariously.

REMEMBER KIDS!!! the definition of racism is : believing your race is superior to another and having the right to rule over said other race.
NOT : making fun of a group of people who act in a uniform way by comedically over exagerating said traits.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
Anything you say can be taken out of context, then you sound like you are a bigoted jerk.
I'll start caring about racism when people aren't being paid to call people racist.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Utarefson said:
...there already were enough threats about this in the last few days.
Threats? I think what you meant was threads. And I agree.

OT: When racism isn't a problem, keep the shut fuck up! In games and such, no one is getting hurt by the alleged racism. But when real people can become victims of some sort, then it's a legit, fo'-real-no-shit problem.

A_Username

Aug 10, 2009
There will always be dink/s sticking out and complaining...

I think it's good to know that some game designers / just people in the world know that it's bad...

Mild violence, stereotypes, "Black people", there will always be a mass of people ready to jump the gun and b*tch about to you or the people who made the game and or comment...

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Pandalisk said:
its basically an Ace people use to get whatever they want.
Could NOT have said it better myself.
That's exactly what it is. It's a cause for people to get all up and arms about nothing, just for the sake of starting shit.
It's ridiculous and sad, really.

Furthermore, Caucasians cannot complain about racism (The fact that it's fine that Whites are being slaughtered in video games, and yet nobody cares) And that's what really gets me pissed. As far as I'm concerned, it's a one way street. And you have to be an African American to use it.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Pandalisk said:
That's exactly what it is. It's a cause for people to get all up and arms about nothing, just for the sake of starting shit.

Furthermore, Caucasians cannot complain about racism (The fact that it's fine that Whites are being slaughtered in video games, and yet nobody cares) And that's what really gets me pissed. As far as I'm concerned, it's a one way street. And you have to be an African American to use it.
Do you think they use it during a game of poker?

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
I'm not going to lie. I've noticed the racism card being pulled by members of the African American race the most. A lot of them think that almost everything is racist, yet they call themselves the term for "Slave" to show friendship.

I may never know.

(This post isn't racist in the slightest. I'm just pointing out something I've observed in my 18 years on this planet. I've yet to see Latino's complain about Resident Evil 4.)

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Pandalisk said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Pandalisk said:

Do you think they use it during a game of poker?
"Ace High!"
"Bullshit! I call Racism!"

XSA37

Aug 5, 2009
Until I see a game that explicitly has racism featured in it, (And I don't mean being a white guy in an African village full of people who want to kill you), I refuse to believe that it is a problem in the industry. Now, does it exist in real life, of course, but does racism exist in videogames meant specifically for the average middle class American/Brit/Aussie/German/etc...? I say no.

ek599

May 27, 2009
By the way, I apologize. I haven't been on too much in the past couple days, and I haven't seen the other racism threads.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
asking what the problem with racism is like asking why black people call themselves ******'s. it is just to tangled and stupid

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
The racism card has been played way out of line, along with the sexism card as well.
People who spend their free time throwing around these terms are people who have such few problems, they need to create new ones.

crooked_ferret

Jul 30, 2009
I am white which apparently automatically makes me a racist.
On the other hand most the really racist people I do know actually know never get called on it, because apparently you have to be white to be a racist.
...wait that's a racist thing to say isn't it?

The whole topic is just insane at this point, you can't even talk about it because anything you say is going to inherently be viewed as racist by someone.