RAGE QUIT!!!! Any moments you have done it and why?

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
I ragequitted a discussion once. That guy was actually trying to argue that being raped is not as bad for men than it is for women by default. At one point I simply said "you know what? I'm putting way too much time into convincing one idiot. Goodbye." and walked away because I frankly couldn't take his pseudo-scientific bullshit anymore (which was really, really wrong, by the way. I study Bioinformatics and Genome Research and it pisses me off when people try to justify their misogynistic crap with "it's genetics, bro!")

Games? Probably the worst one was Blood Bowl. That game cheats. I know it. It has to! I mean, come on, it destroyed an entire line of well-trained lizards with the puniest guys ever! It was throwing 2-red-dice blocks against me AND WINNING every single time! Oh, or the time the game screwed up the petty-cash-balancing, meaning an already good team had a star player and almost every other thing you can buy with petty cash.

So, normally I don't ragequit Multiplayer games. Once, however, I quit Awesomenauts. The two people I was playing with were incredibly bad and started to sling insults at everyone.
That really sucked, because Awesomenauts punishes you pretty harsh if you quit mid-game: absolutely no EXP for the next round you play (and obviously no EXP for the one you quit).

EDIT: Oh, also X-COM Enemy Unknown. God damn it. God damn that game. So many bugs. So many interface mistakes. It's not my fault that grenade didn't go there! What, I can't shoot him from here? My guy can CLEARLY see him! He can spit on him! Oh, what, three squads of Mutons out of nowhere? No. No. No.

IGetNoSlack

Sep 21, 2012
FrozenCones said:
There's a skip option. Yes, you have to die 3-5 times for it to pop up, but it's useful for things like that.

OT: I'm disabled, more specifically congenital spastic right hemiplagia, a form of cerebral palsy. Which means I play with one hand.

You can see where this is going, right? Good.

Whenever I get that response (y'know, THAT one.) I ragequit immediately.

No respect given, none received.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I nearly rage-quit GTA Online earlier tonight because I thought it had eaten my fully modded $660K Cheetah. The thing got impounded, so I call in for another car to drive down to the impound lot and get my Cheetah back...only to have it tell me "You do not have access to this personal vehicle." Sure enough it was off my "call in a car" list and when I checked my garage it wasn't there either. I was PISSED! Nearly quit (entirely) right then and there...until I had a thought to check the insurance company. Sure enough, those rat-bastards had it so I was able to get it back and avoid a pretty massive curse-laden rage-quit. :3

But we're here to list actual rage-quits, not barely avoided ones.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations
After being bored to tears with the game, I was all hyped up to go on my first ACTUAL assassination!!! Which takes place half-way through the game...

Anyways, I make my way to the target and take it out and, as per tradition, a chase begins. The problem is that the city in Revelations is 1: tiny, 2: filled with tiny buildings, and 3: all those tiny buildings have guards on them. It was literally impossible for me to get away. I tried every trick in the book but SOMEONE would always spot me. I literally ran around for 10 frickin' minutes until finally the game just arbitrarily ended the chase. Apparently if you just run long enough the game takes pity and just calls it quits. At that point, I decided to call it quits and didn't play that stupid game again for another 2 weeks.

Left 4 Dead (and its sequel).
Anyone who has played either game has likely suffered from a rage-quit, and I'm no different. It's all for the same reasons: seems like the special infected ALWAYS go after you, seems like every time you attack as the special infected you immediately get blasted off, the tank smacks a car at you and hits you due to a completely BS trajectory...the standard for pretty much everyone.

I've got some more but they're all just general "having a bad game, decided to say "fuck this" and quit for the time being" stories.

Sep 9, 2007
The only rage quit that I remember was in a multiplayer session of Terraria not too long after it came out. I was playing with a friend and we were looking to unlock the dungeon, which required a boss fight. We prepared ourselves pretty well, we had a covered walkway from our base to the edge of the map, which lead to a small house next to the dungeon entrance where we had a bed to allow a quick respawn next to the boss so we could get back into the action quickly if we died. Just before we were set to go, another two friends logged in.

Thinking that a few extra numbers would be good, we asked them to help us out against the boss. However, what my friend and I didn't know was that the trip from the base to the edge of the map was apparently mindnumbingly boring, so they decided that the walkway would serve nicely as a trolls playground and by the time they reached the other side the whole thing had almost completely been torn up. By this time, we had initiated the boss battle and things were going ok... until I died and I respawned back at our base. Turns out that the other two had reached the spawn house and rather than use the door, which was on the other side of the room, they would carve out the wall and not replace it, which invalidates the spawn point. I tried to get back to the fight, only to find the passageway trashed. The others died in pretty short order so we gathered back at spawn to try again. However the two that joined last wanted to be dicks about it and trapped me three or four times. After that I said fuck it and quit.

That was the last time I played multiplayer Terraria.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
The only time I can remember truly rage quitting was when I was playing Condemned. I had gotten a little bit past the abandoned mall level when I kept getting killed in one particular area. After eight or nine attempts, I finally got past the one place where I kept dying, only to have an enemy pop up out of nowhere I kill me yet again (before hitting a checkpoint).
After that I decided that getting rid of the game as soon as possible was a much better idea than putting a fifty dollar controller through a seven hundred and fifty dollar t.v. (especially when I was getting under twenty-five hours a week at my job).

Candlejack000

Nov 1, 2012
Star Fox adventures for the GameCube. I enjoyed that game, found the world to be entertaining and even the stupid triceratops sidekick to be tolerable. But then came a point where you had to go through some trials to get a tribes trust. One of those trials was a test of strength, which translates to mashing B as hard as you can. No matter how hard I mashed I could never win, even when I was clearly about to win the opponent would just force his side and win. I check online to see if there was something I was missing and nope I just was not mashing hard enough. So I quit cam back a few years later had fun got to the same part and quit again saying never again.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
The only game i can ever recall rage-quitting was Devil May Cry 3: Special Addition, but it wasn't for the reasons one would expect.

I was fighting the "Grim Reaper on a horse carriage" boss (can't remember the name) and he proceeded to kick my ass three times in a row. On the fourth try, however, I noticed that my attacks were doing more damage and that he was not spamming his more powerful attacks.

Half way through the fight I paused and got onto the internet where I found out that the special addition had an auto-difficulty adjustment function that makes the game (or at least the bosses) easier if you got your ass consistently handed to you and there is nothing you can do to turn it off. Needless to say this really pissed me off. Sure i might be pissed that the boss stomped my ass three times in a row, but I was even more pissed off at the fact that the game felt it needed to take pity on me.

So I didn't even bother to finish the fight and I haven't touched the special addition since then.
Candlejack000 said:
Star Fox adventures for the GameCube. I enjoyed that game, found the world to be entertaining and even the stupid triceratops sidekick to be tolerable. But then came a point where you had to go through some trials to get a tribes trust. One of those trials was a test of strength, which translates to mashing B as hard as you can. No matter how hard I mashed I could never win, even when I was clearly about to win the opponent would just force his side and win. I check online to see if there was something I was missing and nope I just was not mashing hard enough. So I quit cam back a few years later had fun got to the same part and quit again saying never again.
Oh Christ, I hated hated HATED that part. I thought that Metal Gear Solid's torture scene has the king of button mashing hell, but Starfox Adventures took it to another level. The only reason I'm not listing it here is because I believe my mom forced me to stop playing it after seeing how much it made me rage. The next day I beat it, but I think it still literally took me 2 hours just to beat a simple mini-game.

Anget Colslaw

Jul 26, 2012
Fighting games- Everyone on a good day, is just as bad as CoD players and the online is shit in every aspect, controllers are terrible for six button, I refuse to spend another hundred on a controller that doesn't make my hands scream in sheer irritation and it's ludicrous how many people refuse to play anything not Marvel or Street Fighter. Most recent game I plan on picking up is Skullgirls on Steam in the hopes that I won't have to deal with utterly shit online play and in the hopes that PC players won't be as god awful as console players.

Multiplayer- Unless your name is Team Fortress 2, I really don't have much interest in you anymore.

Tumblr- Specifically, the fans or fandumbs of things like the current anime/web comic/cartoon being obsessed over for the month. It's astounding how stupid things can get.

Metal Slug 4, 5 and 6- Not so much ragequit but more like "Fuck this no death/1CC run". In four and five, the level design was simply terrible and six was just more frustrating due to even a fully stocked heavy machine gun having trouble taking down even five enemies in the final stage. That's not even touching the other irritating moments in the game.

Halo Reach- Not interested in multiplayer so that left me with the fire fight and the hilariously bad campaign. As soon as I hit 100 replay clips of campaign stupidity, I just stopped playing.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
I loved the Sword of Truth series, read it zealously. And then Faith of the Fallen happened, and Terry Goodkind dove right into the looney bin with his extreme objectivism propaganda.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Im usually the guy that would try again and again and again a million times till i manage it. this has once lead me to died 3 times in a single day in a MMO. and back then MMO death actually mean something. it meant i lost 3 weeks of progress in a single day, twice to the very same monster while trying to get my loot back and once to another player.
I actually would have probably ended up even worse, but i had to actualyl go soemwhere in RL so i stopped playing.

The moments i ragequit however exist, but those are the ones that do not depend on me. usually this invoves bugs, corrupt saves, games crashing. because when you play for 4 hours, game crashes and you have to replay same 4 hours again, its really bloody annoying. so i usualyl ragequit till the next day and go play something else. When i fuck up just becasue I fuck up, i usually throw my arms up shouting "Come on" and then continue playing again. I used to get more angry, but im not unsing my old keyboard anymore that i could throw around and punch and it would continue working. doing that to a laptop is a no-no.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
I've never rage quit a multiplayer game is progress, I may rage quit at the lobby afterwards though.

the only single player games I've ever really rage quit are Dark souls, Devil may cry 1-3 (1 and 3 for boss fights, 2 because it's awful) and Devil survivor over-clocked because I kept getting torn to pieces in a boss fight.

I'll usually come back to the game the next day or even within the hour at times.

Spineyguy

Apr 14, 2009
Not given to rage quitting, partly because I don't play any games where unfair play is an issue.

One occasion which springs to mind, though, was on a TF2 server I used to frequent. Generally it was an excellent server, full of skilled and respectful players with a good grasp of how to win games. Occasionally you'd get six snipers on the blue team on PL-Goldrush, but those times were very rare. One of the server mods, however, was a total dictator, who would threaten medics with bans unless they healed him exclusively, kick enemy players who beat him (including me on one or two occasions), move the best players onto his team, change the map without warning, that sort of thing. Can't even remember his name now, but he really got my goat. When you're up against a Demospam with four Pocket Medics and the ability to evict you if you somehow manage to get off a good volley, you know there's no point even trying any more.

Of course I haven't played TF2 for a good year now, so I don't know if this sort of thing is still an issue, but it was extremely rare when I was playing regularly, and shouldn't put people off playing what is easily the pinnacle of the Online FPS sub-genre.

Edit: Honourable mention must go to Mariokart. What's that? You're winning? Well you'd better have six Blue Shells in a single lap, then.