RAGE QUIT!!! to the point of smashing your controller, monitor, keyboard, TV etc.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Hello once again Escapist,

Now we have all done it before, we have all done it where we get so pissed off with a game, whether it's an impossible challenge/guest, a major glitch/bug that effected the ending that you work so hard, for hours and days doing, or just plain WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU, YOU STUPID GAME!!!, that has actually raged so much that destroyed the controller or other gaming hardware. I am guilty of that back in the PS1 days, i forgot what game, but have way through, the game play just became stupid and crashed every time i reached the final level so I didn't get to complete the game.

So what are your extreme rage quit moments that you actually destroyed something and even give us the back story to what game and situation it was?

Added Bonus: Send any YouTube links of Rage Quits and frustrations and yes I know most will be from Call of Duty.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
In one of my least proud moments as a gamer, I went a little nutter butters...

One or two years ago, I was playing FIFA when absolutely nothing was going right. I lost a couple of games in a row and just lost another game. Playing more was not a good idea but I kept going and I lost in a very bullshit way.

Anything nearby became an object to be hit. Chairs were kicked, TV trays were thrown, controllers went across the room. Ultimately, I kicked a trash can (breaking it) into the bathroom door (breaking it) and it flew into the wall in the bathroom (putting a trash-can sized break in the wall).

Pics or it didn't happen you say?

But honestly...it might not have been such a bad experience. I realized I'm twenty-fucking-five (at the time) and a video game should not cause that kind of reaction. I also realized that it happened in other circumstances in my past (shattered a broom-ball stick against the boards after a game). I created a thread in advice (which has since been deleted) asking for people to help my anger issues and it's really helped.

I'm still not perfect but if I lash out, I can keep my head about it and I haven't actually broken anything since then. I'm also smart enough to realize when it's becoming an issue and I'll shut down the game so baby steps :)

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I once broke my TV by throwing my controller at the screen. The second Prince of Persia game really fucked me off at the time I guess...

I'm pretty chill now actually, I just very occasionally slam my mouse into my desk in rage because FUCKING TEEMO!

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Back in the day I would rage pretty hard but above swearing a lot and being a big baby about things I didnt break anything although I sure as hell wanted to but I dont want a little hissy fit to end up costing me money so I always refrained and usually powered on and finished what was pissing me off wherein I would gain zero satisfaction from it and just think thank fuck thats over.

I rarely rage now sure I get pissed off a little but the only two times that have made me rage this gen are the final boss in DOA4 and Seth the final boss in SF4 I beat both multiple times ofc but I hate them so much there have been other bosses as cheap such as the ones in KOFXIII and Shao Kahn (but hes ridiculously easy with the right tactics) but none have made me rage as hard. I think the trouble is I just loathe their design along with their cheapness so it makes me especially annoyed I lost to such a boring ass character with no redeeming or interesting features. Both times I shut the console off and chilled out, it was something I decided to do at the start of this gen if any game made me really angry and I have stuck to it and I enjoy gaming more as a result.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I think the worst I've ever gotten was pushing the keyboard tray back hard enough to slam against the back of the desk. I don't play CoD anymore.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
ParsonOSX said:
Hello once again Escapist,

Now we have all done it before,
Nope...

I never did rage to the point of doing all of the stuff you just said...

I just try to get better and see what went wrong in the game and the like.

That is not to say I am not annoyed when something goes wrong, ESPECIALLY (Most of the time) when its the game´s fault and not mine (Aka glitches/errors/cheap crap, and the like).

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I rarely rage, but i once nearly destroyed a copy of Silmarillion after losing a boss fight in Unlimited Saga (where i lost 2 hours of progress), i think that was the point where it dawned on me, just exactly how bad that game really was.

I think it was some dragon that basically just decided that i couldn´t hurt it. I dealt no damage, and since you don´t really have any healing items in that game, i just kinda died a slow and horrible death.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Sometimes I bash my keyboard with my fist, pretty lightly too, and even that's rare. On console, I mainly just curse really loud which either makes my mum confused or gives her a jump scare,[footnote]When she walks past my room. It usually gets rid of my anger since it's so funny.[/footnote] since I don't curse in general conversation much.
I don't believe I've ever broken anything in anger at a video game. Most of my gaming related stuff is pretty expensive and took me a long time to save up for and I've always been able to control my anger to a point, so, I'm able to quell the urge to destroy.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
ParsonOSX said:
Send any YouTube links of Rage Quits and frustrations and yes I know most will be from Call of Duty.
Try about half the videos by Rooster Teeth.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Been a very long time but back in the halo 3 days I would completely lose it every once in a while. A couple of broken controllers mostly. It was literally the only game I would play for about a year with every single second of free time I had. More recently gears of war 3 got me pretty angry on a regular basis but not to the point of me breaking anything.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
The quality of Aliens: Colonial Marines was so poor, and my expectations were so high, and the glitches were so frustrating, that it actually caused me to lose my mind for about an hour, where I took the disc and decided to see how many walls I could simultaneously bounce it off of. I was laughing this really hysterical laughter, too.

I'm pretty sure the game almost caused me to be institutionalized.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
ParsonOSX said:
Now we have all done it before, we have all done it where we get so pissed off with a game, whether it's an impossible challenge/guest, a major glitch/bug that effected the ending that you work so hard, for hours and days doing, or just plain WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU, YOU STUPID GAME!!!, that has actually raged so much that destroyed the controller or other gaming hardware.
Uh, no, can't say I have. Even when I noticed a friend of mine had deleted all my FFXII save games and even when Flamelurker killed me for the 10th time. If I'm raging, I quit the game and punch a pillow. No point in destroying things I'll be needing later. Sorry, I'm just very composed, even in my anger.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
I've broken quite a few controllers. Not something I'm proud of.

Thankfully I've never broken anything other than a controller when I've thrown them.

I think I've broken three controllers trying to play through Dark Souls.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Never destroyed something due to a rage quit, but I did smash my old PS2 repeatedly into the floor while trying to fix it. If anyone wonders it didn't work. Had also forgotten to remove my Dark Chronicles disc from it. The game got scratched badly and covered in oil or something. It was a sad day.

As for game related rage my biggest one would be Tomb Raider: Anniversary. While exploring I fell down some shaft. Struggled for probably half an hour to get back up(camera didn't work with me and the jumps were fucking retarded). Yelled "Come on, you fucking whore!!1" to the TV, amongst other curses, and was extremely close to crushing the controller. After I finally got up and went to my real destination it turned out I had to go back down there to pick up an item.
I sighed, possibly cried a bit, jumped down and got the same issues again.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
I've bit into a GBASP screen then ripped it in half once, I've smashed countless keyboards and controllers. I can get pretty angry sometimes .

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I can't help but look back at it and laugh, but the jrpg on ps2 called legend of legaia 2. It was a game where I can remember the encounter rate being absolutely atrocious. In the end dungeon that went on and on forever and ever with constant random encounters every 2 freaking seconds I had my party surprised after like 2 hours of mind numbing random encounter gameplay and got killed before I could even fight back.

I freaked out, destroyed the game into a zillion little pieces and proceeded to go to town on the case when I was still not content. That game deserved it! Now that I think back about it, it's so funny how ballistic I got. After 2 hours of random encounter hell then getting wiped without having any control who would not be?

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Never broken a single controller or damaged anything in rage.

I'm like a Tibetan monk. The zen master of gaming.

If I do become frustrated I just pace a bit around the room - it's a fairly large room, most condusive to pacing in. Failing that I just turn off the game or leave the server. I've never actually expressed my anger physically.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Abomination said:
Never broken a single controller or damaged anything in rage.

I'm like a Tibetan monk. The zen master of gaming.

Wouldn't have guessed with your avatar. :p

OT: Well with a lot of multiplayer games I used to and STILL get prett frustrated.

Recently though, I was playing KH: Chain of Memories HD, and I was almost constantly getting frustrated by the card based gameplay. I've died so many times because I couldn't wrap my head around the system, and eventually I just stopped playing.

I still need to finish that game. I'm on the last floor. :/

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Can only remember one time, where my mouse broke mid raid. It went flying.

But that's a long time ago. Now I do't really get mad anymore, as it really does not help. It's just a game youkno.

I don't know about you guys, but from my experience, people tend to play a lot worse when they get mad, I know I do. So being able to keep calm is like a gaming superpower I feel.
Learn, grow, adapt.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Only thing I remember that I actually broke out of rage quit was the palm rest of my Logitech G15 keyboard. Can't remember if it was during a CoD game or Dark Souls.

I hit the middle of the keyboard so hard with my fist that I broke the palmrest in half along with the little feet that keeps is above table level.