Rage Review

[zonking great]

Aug 20, 2008
Kimarous said:
This exactly. I completely lost interest in the game after seeing the Enemies trailer; it's Fallout 3 with a Borderlands paint job and Bioshock weapon skins. Enemy AI doesn't compensate with how bored I am with this kind of apocalypse.
Maybe this is the apocalypse? Sort of a meta-apocalypse. An apocalypse of apocalypses.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
does it have a level up system?
do you have ability/skill points to spend?
are cars the only thing you can upgrade or are weapons also upgradable?
can you only play as some dude or are there multiple characters?
can I make decisions in the game that affect the story or is it all straight forward?

there's so much I still want to know

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Stall said:
I've always known that the reviews on this website are about as suspect as its journalism, but this raises quite a few questions...
They are? How so?

You seem to have quite a few questions, it's easier to have a discussion if you ask... any of them.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It looks like Bordelands but with a more serious attitude and realistic graphics. Even the outside level design is practically identical.

That said, it does look like fun.

Emergent System

Feb 27, 2010
Personally I'm getting kidna bored with these same post-apocalypse games. After Fallout 3, New Vegas, Borderliands, and all the others the last few years. I'd like to see some forets, or even frozen thundras would be nice, for a bit of change. All this brown, dusty desert wasteland stuff is getting repetitive.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Driving the wasteland almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter...

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Emergent System said:
Personally I'm getting kidna bored with these same post-apocalypse games. After Fallout 3, New Vegas, Borderliands, and all the others the last few years. I'd like to see some forets, or even frozen thundras would be nice, for a bit of change. All this brown, dusty desert wasteland stuff is getting repetitive.
I said the same thing when I saw the preview.

No more wastelands, no more apocalypse no more zombies, and way less military FPS's... It's all wearing thin

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
rohansoldier said:
I agree that this game seems a bit too close to borderlands (which I love) so I will more than likely give this a rental but leave it at that. I am still ploughing through borderlands as I was a bit late joining that particular party, but this could be fun for a little while.

I don't think it will rival borderlands or the sequel when that comes out though (at least not for me).
Me neither. I'm definitely renting this too but I hear that the ps3 version is a little lackluster (big surprise - Bethesda produced it) and I'm really looking forward more to Borderlands 2 for this kind of game so I don't think I'll be keeping it. Even if it is worth keeping, I'll send it back and get the PC version since it seems like the visuals are a big draw.

Have fun with Borderlands: I certainly did...am - a friend and I have played it through together with every class... well, we're on the last class now. Each one makes it feel like a different game. And the dlc is actually a really good value. I'm also still adding mods to Fallout 3 so my so my scabby apocalypse hands are a bit full right now.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I definitely want to give this a try now...Borderlands was fun for a while but eventually I was just disappointed (pretty much once I played the ending)

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
I might pick it up in the sales at some point but not right now. At least the apocalypse was caused by an asteroid and not another nuclear war.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Mr.Tea said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
and there's no graphical option other than resolution, AA and gamma. No V Sync resulting in screen tearing, no console command, shitty FoV, unable to use Crossfire or SLI, and fucked up mouse acceleration.
Oh wow...

That is just so unacceptable.

So not only did id Software make a console port, they made a bad console port.
In case you're curious, here's a video of a dude trying to the run Rage with his ATi HD6950 and 4GB DDR3 RAM.

<youtube=-I91AG2BhcI>

The texture-popping is that bad. And the engine doesn't even use the greater amount of RAM and scale the cache size accordingly. This screams console-port.

They better churn out some drivers that work.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Reaper69lol said:
Ive been hearing a lot from other gamers that Pc version of Rage is utterly terrible.
That's what I've been hearing as well. While the problems with ATi drivers can be attributed to AMD, there's been some serious bugs apparently. The texture streaming is horrible, and there's no graphical option other than resolution, AA and gamma. No V Sync resulting in screen tearing, no console command, shitty FoV, unable to use Crossfire or SLI, and fucked up mouse acceleration.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/04/raging-about-rage-pc/

Lack. Of. Technical. Options.

In. An. id. Game.

What has happened to the world?

I would ask PC gamers to wait a bit before jumping into this one. I'll wait for the Steam sale if it turns out to be a cheap port.
I won't excuse the lack of graphics options in the main menu, but you should be able to tweak them through the in-game console. Still, that's disappointing. That said, id said that they would be working on the executable for PC build up until the last minute, so I'd imagine that we should get a patch pretty soon because Rage isn't out everywhere yet.

Lastly, this is a new engine and every new graphics engine has had some teething problems relating to hardware and driver issues -- especially on the PC. Not excusing the issues, but I think some patience should be taken. I've also heard some great stories about Rage on the PC.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Still Life said:
Lastly, this is a new engine and every new graphics engine has had some teething problems relating to hardware and driver issues -- especially on the PC. Not excusing the issues, but I think some patience should be taken.
If you look back at my post, I was only complaining about the lack of options. ATi drivers not working is AMD's fault. id has released the PC version simultaneously with the console versions, and so coudn't wait for AMD to update their OpenGL drivers (ATi always had shitty OpenGL support - which makes it worse as idTech 5 is really pushing OpenGL 4.2 to its limits).

Thus, I ended with this: "I would ask PC gamers to wait a bit before jumping into this one. I'll wait for the Steam sale if it turns out to be a cheap port." Which, I think, is perfectly reasonable.

Edit: And ATi fixes it.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU121AMDCatRagePerfDriver.aspx

Sep 30, 2010
Don Reba said:
Sorry, lost me at "nucular".
Yeah I heard that and just stopped. When people say it like that it drives me insane.
Listing to people say it like that almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Still Life said:
Lastly, this is a new engine and every new graphics engine has had some teething problems relating to hardware and driver issues -- especially on the PC. Not excusing the issues, but I think some patience should be taken.
If you look back at my post, I was only complaining about the lack of options. ATi drivers not working is AMD's fault. id has released the PC version simultaneously with the console versions, and so coudn't wait for AMD to update their OpenGL drivers (ATi always had shitty OpenGL support - which makes it worse as idTech 5 is really pushing OpenGL 4.2 to its limits).

Thus, I ended with this: "I would ask PC gamers to wait a bit before jumping into this one. I'll wait for the Steam sale if it turns out to be a cheap port." Which, I think, is perfectly reasonable.

Edit: And ATi fixes it.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU121AMDCatRagePerfDriver.aspx
No, didn't have a problem with what you said. Mine was intended to reinforce and make a broader point.

Jimi Bove

Jan 29, 2011
I learned the hard way from Splinter Cell Conviction that a good, not perfect game is STILL not enjoyable if it's a horrible console port. Rage would've been a price-drop buy for me, but not after hearing/seeing all the shit about the PC version.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Looks and sounds pretty good to me, though I don't think I'll be getting it just yet what with all the games coming out that I'm interested in - need to bide my time a little first. If this came out the same time last year I'd have picked it up without a doubt.

Though I'm kinda exasperated reading some people wouldn't buy the game citing only because it has regenerating health...

PizzaSHARK

Jan 22, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Lack. Of. Technical. Options.

In. An. id. Game.

What has happened to the world?
Consoles happened.

Mr.Tea said:
Oh wow...

That is just so unacceptable.

So not only did id Software make a console port, they made a bad console port.

Between this and Epic's bullshit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.315332-Epic-Games-Unreal-Engine-4-Likely-in-2014#12805627], what is it with the big engine-makers not wanting to take advantage of this platform anymore? Ugh.
It's easier to sell derivative, uninspired piles of shit to the legions of moronic fratboy console gamers than it is to PC gamers. See, we that live on PCs have long since come to expect better of our developers - we want the game to be moddable, not more DLCs. We want people to at least try to innovate, even if it's just a different way of putting your stupid regenerating health into the game. And god fucking help you if you don't put dedicated server support into your game.

So the short answer is that it's easier to make money off of consoles than PCs. Besides, console gamers have never heard of this thing called "modding" so they're more than happy to pay for some rather average-quality DLC because the concept of having free, high-quality "DLC" in the form of mods is foreign to them. You also don't have to worry about console gamers creating their own custom configs and toying with things like field of view, lerp, and all kinds of other fun stuff that would require the developers to spend time on.

Or I guess I could just be extremely bitter about the influence consoles have had on the market, especially the shooter market.