Ragnarok II Killed and Reborn in Development

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
xyrafhoan said:
PS: Still can't believe how many people can still play private servers in this day and age, even when iRO has a free server of its own, and doesn't nerf game mechanics out the wazoo without using the cash shop. Plus, the p2p server is bot-free. If the industry based all its piracy numbers off of RO exclusively, I can't even imagine how many alarm bells would be going off.
Most private servers deal with bots, while the iRO free server does not.
Plus iRO isn't a perfect game, it does everything well, but doesn't excel in any subject.
Chronos is easily the biggest WoE dedicated private server even overtaking iRO in terms of WoE numbers, while some servers can totally dedicated to PvE(that's rare though, PvP/GvG always tends to be the biggest focus), private servers just jack up the rates on the stuff to be ready for WoE really quickly, why do something that takes ages what can be done in a few hours with the same results?
Plus from my understanding they can't sue or C&D private servers outside Korea if the server host isn't located there, and as long as the server itself is making no profit. Since most servers run using eAthena emulation and not a direct Gravity source code.
I remember there being tons of this on eAthena forums about C&D's as well as copyright claims.

RedFox042

May 25, 2009
I used to play RO back in the day and I thought it was lots of fun. always something neat and fun to do even just sitting around with other toons and the interactions you could do with them.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
HontooNoNeko said:
Wow this makes me ecstatic I loved the original Ragnarok online it was my third MMO and by far my favorite. I've played WoW for five years but even so it never lived up to the joy I had with RO. I hope they can translate the cute unique style into 3d modeling its pretty much the only thing that put it above the rest in my opinion.
I second this - though I'd prefer the models to stay in 2D while rendering the environment in 3D - just like the original one.

Anyways: This is good news. I've played the RO2 beta for a little while and was more than just bored with it... Worst thing about it was that it had almost nothing to do with the original. Which is usually not a bad thing, but style and feel (say, the things that Ragnarök Online did much, much better than its competitors) should have been kept.

Belvadier

May 17, 2009
I miss RO sooo much. After playing on 3 private servers that religiously mimicked the officials and getting 99/70 High Wiz on all three I called it quits but I miss it so much.

If they just updated the graphics to look similar to something like Torchlight (except you could swing the camera like RO) and kept similar items, classes, and playstyles but just made a new world and added a second transcendence I would love to play it.

And just to be specific, when I say look something like torchlight I'm mostly talking about keeping RO a 3d isometric world, just with updated art and an updated engine to show some sign that technology has progressed...

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
The first thing I did in RO2 was look up my characters skirt... YOU ALL DID IT TOO

Besides that 5 minutes of enjoyment, everything else was fairly bland :|

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
I remember my Level 115 Lord Knight on the original, man that was a while ago...

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
It's always weird watching mmo pvp in games you haven't played.
You never know what the fuck is going on.

The WoE video sorta reminds me of when runescape was fun :(

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I loved RO until I started getting into it's PvP system (which is really all there is to do for endgame). It was a great premise, but ultimately just turned into a cluster-fuck when you had two teams of three guilds with 30 people each (that's nearly 100 people per side for those not keeping up) all piled into a small area to fight. You guys think Smash Bros can get a little too chaotic for it's own good? Yeah... imagine playing a 200-player match; even on the bigger stages it would just be uncontrollable.

Hopefully for RO2 they're working on something for the endgame and they just might lure me back in. One thing I'll say though: Going full 3D really loses part of the charm to playing an MMO that reminds me of the RPGs of old, so hopefully the "3D Graphics" they're hyping are just the backgrounds, like the first game was done.